Passive v fan intake

Eldo

Hello again uk420 

Think im close to completing my drobe although all works on hold till the weekend now unfortunately 

I got most things figured out now except air intake and air circulation fan.

I had planned out going passive intake for cost and noise reasons....but seems the size needed along with the problems involved with light proofing that it might be easier to just use a fan??

It thats the case whats about there thats quiet?

Also looking for a small air circulation fan or two

Recommendations please

Check out the Growth Technology 6" clip on fans :)

They seem reliable, 

I've had 3 in use for nearly a year now. 

Atb 

:yinyang:

• Like 1

Whats passive intake i have a 10inch rhino fan blowing air into my grow and 10inch rhino fan sucking air out am i missing something i trying to get to terms with termanology  cheers

• Like 1

The 2 setup types are:

Two fans, 

one extracting and another "active" intake. 

Or

One extraction fan, 

with just "passive" intake(no fan just negative pressure sucking air back into space). 

Hope this helps your understanding BVG :)

Atb 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Baron von greenback said:

Whats passive intake i have a 10inch rhino fan blowing air into my grow and 10inch rhino fan sucking air out am i missing something i trying to get to terms with termanology  cheers

The intake fan would need to be smaller than the extraction fan, otherwise you will not have negative pressure causing smell leaks.

Passive intake will sort itself out if you have your extraction fan at the right setting.

• Like 1

Passive should be fine for your space mate, if you need a light proof one look for secret jardin light baffles or maybe a phresh intake filter. For circulation I really like the twin "Eluteng 12v 1 amp" pc fans, they're pretty cheap, powerful and very quiet. I have a double blowing through the canopy and a single circulating the air below. The AC Infinity USB ones are good as well if you cant find the eluteng. 

E2A If you do decide you need active intake for whatever reason I'm a big fan (sorry not sorry) of the blauberg ducto 100, I've had one in my veg cab for 2 years or so running near enough continuously, its really compact and super quiet and iirc is exactly rated to 100cfm. You do have to wire it up to a plug yourself, but its pretty simple and I'm just a pm away if you get stuck with it. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 3

I prefer to run an active intake on my flowering tent, as it removes the risk of light leaks that could result in getting hermies..... I just run passive intakes on my veg tent though.

• Like 2

Guest Micromole Hole

Go for an intake , a continuous whoosh of CO2 enriched air will be perfect for growth and environment. 

@MindSoup thanks a lot mate appreciate that.

See the problem I have is my drobe is set in an alcove and only 50mm from the wall.

I fear passive intake to the side would struggle....not even sure if a fan would work here?

Only other solution is passive intake at the front under the doors in a 70mm strip of wood with a homemade baffle and covered by a Vent

Obviously I could just cut a big arse hole in the door but ruins the stealth look im going for lol

If the gap down the side is 2 inches x 6ft? it ought to be big enough.

In a wardrobe normally a passive intake is fine.

An active intake is kinda better though.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Shumroom said:

The 2 setup types are:

Two fans, 

one extracting and another "active" intake. 

Or

One extraction fan, 

with just "passive" intake(no fan just negative pressure sucking air back into space). 

Hope this helps your understanding BVG :)

Atb 

Ok cheers mate i get it now thought you had to have 2 fans running 24 hours a day active...  i didnt think you would get hardly any air in with passive.... 

• Like 2

@Baron von greenback if you need to run a 10inch extraction fan you'll be best off with an intake fan rather than passive, normally you'd use an 8inch intake so that there's negative pressure.

• Like 2

@inceywinceyspider  cheers mate yes it's a 2 inch gap the full length of drobe 

Reassuring to know passive will would although it seems fan would work better. 

I'm a bit concerned about the noise from this little fans though...might just add 1 in and see how it gets on before I cut a load more for extras

Thanks for everyone's input will update at the weekend 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 3/22/2022 at 10:01 AM, MindSoup said:

For circulation I really like the twin "Eluteng 12v 1 amp" pc fans, they're pretty cheap, powerful and very quiet. I have a double blowing through the canopy and a single circulating the air below. The AC Infinity USB ones are good as well if you cant find the eluteng. 

Hello mate sorry to jump on an old post can I ask how you've mounted these.....can they be fixed direct to outside panel or do they need more space behind them?

Edited by Eldo
Spelling