Equipment for oil

Baron von greenback

What can I say, 

I can be fairly ocd when I start to remove leaves from my buds. 

So I end up with a lot of good quality sugar leaves. 

It also depends on how much pain I have been in when harvesting, 

I might just trim up the colas and chuck the rest of it in the trim pile :D tbh(to become hash) 

Atb 

:yinyang:

• Like 1

When I do a full extraction with ethanol I use around a litre of ethanol per 100g of plant matter (although I use bud not trim) so 20 litres would "only" be enough for around 2kg of plant matter - if you run a decent sized tent all year I guess it wouldn't take that long to accumulate .......... Way above my level though :)

• Like 3

On 18/03/2022 at 3:43 PM, Shumroom said:

You'll need to get the sticky stuff out once you're done though.

I can see that it would be a great way to get rid of the bulk of the solvent and concentrate the liquid down a bit,

before it becomes too viscous,

also you would hopefully be able to recover the solvent fo re-use,

rather than just evaporate to the environment :) 

But like I mentioned above,

you'll eventually have a sticky mess that you want to recover.

So you'd need to decant into a flat bottom piece that you can easily access.

I use Oil Slick Silicone plates for final evaporation so that it's easy to collect the oil :thumsup:

Other types of silicone containers are available,

but I like to use Platinum cured silicone which are the best quality(above food grade) possibly medical grade silicone.

Atb

Ps. Please post photos of the glass in action(sorry I'm a bit of a scientific glassware fan) lol

10 hours ago, Cajafiesta said:

What are we calling "oil" here?

Are we talking about alcohol extraction aka RSO, QWISO whatever else?

Or are we talking about some other solvent?  Hydrocarbons?  

I'm, more or less, talking to talk here, but I generally try to asses the appropriateness of equipment by starting at what needs to be accomplished with regard to...physics..I suppose it would be.  Understand what's happening and how it happens and then the particular piece of equipment sorta becomes irrelevant. Kinda

At the end of the day, no matter what the solvent, you're just dissolving the trichomes and then doing whatever is needed to remove the solvent from the trichome/solvent slurry. Colloid, maybe, technically?

Anyhow, if whatever equipment you're looking at accomplishes that in a safe and reasonable manner, then it will work for what you're trying to do. 

In any situation where you're removing a solvent, all you're doing is encouraging solvent to boil off at a temp that's lower than the boiling or degradation temp of the dissolved trichomes. Keeping safety in mind, you also have to ensure that the solvent that is evaporating off is controlled and not exposed to a heat source.  Most all of them are combustible/flammable and will blow your ass up.  So there's that. 

That's really all there is to it, at the core.  Know the boiling point of your solvent at whatever elevation you're at and then apply that temperature to the mix to boil the solvent off.  Vacuum purge is nearly mandatory for viscous substances because the surface tension (viscosity) and/or atmospheric pressure fight against the internal pressure of the solvent gassing off.  

I've done several butane extractions, outdoors, using various, easily accessible, pieces of equipment.  A vacuum pump for car AC use and a vacuum chamber ( common in wood working for stabilizing wood with resins) is an inexpensive way to accomplish your need for controlled vacuum.  An electric skillet, outside, with a waterbath is a good solution to applying gentle heat to your vacuum chamber and for the initial, pre vaccum, gassing off of the mixture as well as for applying gentle heat, under vacuum. 

Lots of ways to skin that cat.  Just need to do it safely.  That's why I say understanding what's happening, and in turn understanding the risks, calculated and not, is much more significant that what piece of equipment you choose.  

I've tried to be safety conscious here.  @Dodgee got in my ass last time I posted about this cause I basically told someone how to blow themselves up under the assumption that they would know that was a risk.:banned:

Hope this one is more permissible, Dodgee.  delete this, too, if you think I've told someone how to injure themselves again. I think, maybe, I haven't this time lol :skin_up:

@Cajafiesta ok mate seem to know what your on about i havent much of a clue about extraction not done any been collecting all my trim when crop in a couple of weeks was going to do a ice hash run have you done any threads on extraction and i mean pictures paint by numbers kind of thing cheers

On 20/03/2022 at 5:26 PM, KC said:

10ltrs! Bloody hell, no one uses that much surely. 

Animals :ohmygod:

Are we not all animalslol:yinyang:

Edited by Personunknown
  • Like 2