Equipment for oil

Baron von greenback

Has anyone used a rotary evaporator re210 or know much about them and can it be used for making oil if i am right cheers guys

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, smilertoo said:

I've never heard of it, I'm just using a plain old Magic Butter Machine for oil.

Ye mate what this is is a proper piece of science equipment got a bottle on it rotating in a water bath connected to a condenser i think it will make proper thick pure thc liquid if i am right 

You'll need to get the sticky stuff out once you're done though.

I can see that it would be a great way to get rid of the bulk of the solvent and concentrate the liquid down a bit,

before it becomes too viscous,

also you would hopefully be able to recover the solvent fo re-use,

rather than just evaporate to the environment :) 

But like I mentioned above,

you'll eventually have a sticky mess that you want to recover.

So you'd need to decant into a flat bottom piece that you can easily access.

I use Oil Slick Silicone plates for final evaporation so that it's easy to collect the oil :thumsup:

Other types of silicone containers are available,

but I like to use Platinum cured silicone which are the best quality(above food grade) possibly medical grade silicone.

Atb

Ps. Please post photos of the glass in action(sorry I'm a bit of a scientific glassware fan) lol

:yinyang:

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Shumroom said:

Havent got it yet mate i wanted feed back before i did just type into ebay and they come up there not cheap but the one i was getting was secondhand i thought about getting it out of the flask i was thinking about leaving it a bit runner then doing a bit of extra evaporation in something else

Edited by Dodgee
Remove quote
  • Like 1

Just use the @ function to tag people in when your replying to the last post :) 

It saves the scrolling finger from getting a blister lol

You only really need to <quote> if you're referring to a specific part of a post or if it's not the last post.

Atb

• Like 2

How much oil are you making.

it would do a nice job purging a solvent but it would still need vacuum drying to get it completely free also like shumroom says getting it back out would be difficult.

If I had £1k to spend on oil extraction id go for a pressurised bho tube and vacuum extractor. There’s a kit for £550 on Amazon search Apollo 180

Edited by Whatwentwrong

1 hour ago, Whatwentwrong said:

How much oil are you making.

it would do a nice job purging a solvent but it would still need vacuum drying to get it completely free also like shumroom says getting it back out would be difficult.

If I had £1k to spend on oil extraction id go for a pressurised bho tube and vacuum extractor. There’s a kit for £550 on Amazon search Apollo 180

I was just trying to get some feed back on it because there was one for sale on ebay for £100 to see if it was worth getting  because it was cheap i havent got much of a clue about extraction that bho tube is that gas extraction mate

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Baron von greenback said:

I was just trying to get some feed back on it because there was one for sale on ebay for £100 to see if it was worth getting  because it was cheap i havent got much of a clue about extraction that bho tube is that gas extraction mate

yes, it’s gas extraction.

the ones I saw where £1k at least and definitely not meant for home use. For £100 it would be worth a crack especially for a qwiso.

Edited by Whatwentwrong

7 minutes ago, Whatwentwrong said:

yes, it’s gas extraction.

the ones I saw where £1k at least and definitely not meant for home use. For £100 it would be worth a crack especially for a qwiso.

Thats what i thought whats qwiso the guy is in frome somerset he wont post it so its gone to fuck mate

Put qwiso in the search box m8 

It stands for quick wash isopropyl alcohol extraction 

Basically, you wash the weed with cold isopropyl alcohol for a couple of mins, filter it, and evaporate the alcohol

Here's Graywolf's guide to QWISO for ya 

https://graywolfslair.com/index.php/diy-cannamed-production/9-4-extraction/9-4-8-isopropyl-extraction/9-4-8-1-qwiso

With the rotovap and the vacuum thing you should be able to evaporate the iso alcohol (or ethanol) at much lower temps than using a normal distillation setup. Then maybe go on to fractionally distill the distillate to separate out the cbd, thc and the terpenes too if you wanted.

The Pot by Noids is supposed to be able to make Feco. I've never tried because it seems to be too small to make it worth bothering. I'll have to get around to it one day. I just don't think you'd be able to get enough weed in it. It's pretty small.

I wonder how safe it would be too :unsure:

What are we calling "oil" here?

Are we talking about alcohol extraction aka RSO, QWISO whatever else?

Or are we talking about some other solvent?  Hydrocarbons?  

I'm, more or less, talking to talk here, but I generally try to asses the appropriateness of equipment by starting at what needs to be accomplished with regard to...physics..I suppose it would be.  Understand what's happening and how it happens and then the particular piece of equipment sorta becomes irrelevant. Kinda

At the end of the day, no matter what the solvent, you're just dissolving the trichomes and then doing whatever is needed to remove the solvent from the trichome/solvent slurry. Colloid, maybe, technically?

Anyhow, if whatever equipment you're looking at accomplishes that in a safe and reasonable manner, then it will work for what you're trying to do. 

In any situation where you're removing a solvent, all you're doing is encouraging solvent to boil off at a temp that's lower than the boiling or degradation temp of the dissolved trichomes. Keeping safety in mind, you also have to ensure that the solvent that is evaporating off is controlled and not exposed to a heat source.  Most all of them are combustible/flammable and will blow your ass up.  So there's that. 

That's really all there is to it, at the core.  Know the boiling point of your solvent at whatever elevation you're at and then apply that temperature to the mix to boil the solvent off.  Vacuum purge is nearly mandatory for viscous substances because the surface tension (viscosity) and/or atmospheric pressure fight against the internal pressure of the solvent gassing off.  

I've done several butane extractions, outdoors, using various, easily accessible, pieces of equipment.  A vacuum pump for car AC use and a vacuum chamber ( common in wood working for stabilizing wood with resins) is an inexpensive way to accomplish your need for controlled vacuum.  An electric skillet, outside, with a waterbath is a good solution to applying gentle heat to your vacuum chamber and for the initial, pre vaccum, gassing off of the mixture as well as for applying gentle heat, under vacuum. 

Lots of ways to skin that cat.  Just need to do it safely.  That's why I say understanding what's happening, and in turn understanding the risks, calculated and not, is much more significant that what piece of equipment you choose.  

I've tried to be safety conscious here.  @Dodgee got in my ass last time I posted about this cause I basically told someone how to blow themselves up under the assumption that they would know that was a risk.:banned:

Hope this one is more permissible, Dodgee.  delete this, too, if you think I've told someone how to injure themselves again. I think, maybe, I haven't this time lol :skin_up:

Put bottle of iso and trim in freezer.

Put frozen trim in cold beaker. Cover with iso. Shake.

Pour liquid through strainer onto pyrex dish.

Leave in sun outside. Decarboxylate.

Very pleased with results.

Now, how (why) would you want to complicate that?

• Like 3

Because it can be done without evaporating solvents into the environment :) 

Have you any idea how long it takes to evaporate 10-20l of ISO in the UK sunshine?

Atb

• Like 2