Please help with setup

Seawolf

Hi all :bong:

I was wondering if anyone could lend a hand to a beginner? I've got a setup going listed below and would appreciate it if someone could maybe point out any flaws in it before I commit? This would be only for my use and a small 2-3 autoflower setup

Tent: 80 x 80 x 160cm

Light: TS600 Full Spectrum LED 85w Mars Hydro

4 inch extraction kit with a filter

Growing in something along the lines of Canna soil in 20L pots 

and other bits and bobs like a hydrometer etc

Would you say its a good setup? I'm most worried about the light might look into a 150W version of the same brand but 85 is what an experienced buddy of mine recommended for that size of tent

Any input would be much appreciated! Cheers :skin_up:

That light is far too small for that size tent. Minimum i'd go for is a 200w. That light will get you started though.

Edit-20 ltr pots are way too big. 

I used to do 4 11ltrs under a 400w hid in that size tent, that was perfect for me. Some might use 6's. 

Edited by KC
  • Like 3

Guest anarchycamp

I'd say you want to try get another light or add to it. I used to use two lights totalling around 250/300w in my 60cm2 tent.

Other than that, you're on the way definitely bud

7 minutes ago, KC said:

That light is far too small for that size tent. Minimum i'd go for is a 200w. That light will get you started though.

Edit-20 ltr pots are way too big. 

I used to do 4 11ltrs under a 400w hid in that size tent, that was perfect for me. Some might use 6's. 

thanks for the response! If I used 300-400 Watt HPS would you say there would be a big heat problem? Also in terms of electric cost of running 300w HPS and 300w LED is there a lot of difference?

• Like 1

300w is 300w, hid or led. Same! I have no heat problems in mine, then again my house is cold. (4inch rvk extractor)

Just now, KC said:

300w is 300w, hid or led

You'd think so but HID lights draw more at the wall than the rated power which is at the bulb. I've never seen a 300w HID but a 600W HPS for example draws not far off 700w at the wall. You need to add at least 10% I think, maybe more.

Thank you all for responses really helped me! i decided ill go with a  600W HPS BLACK DIGITAL DIMMABLE LUMII and ill probably have it dimmed depending on what stages the plants are - if anyone thinks this is a bad choice please do let me know :bong:

Sounds like a way to go :) 

I'd recommend:

That you get a 250W and 400W MH bulb aswellas a 400W HPS bulb.

Always use the correct wattage bulb for the setting being used on the ballast.

The 250W MH(metal halide) will be ideal for starting seedlings, cutting etc.

The 400W MH can be used once seedlings are more developed and will be perfect for early bloom stage,

to reduce unwanted amounts of stretching.

The 400W HPS(high pressure sodium) will be great for bloom.

Then Switch back to the MH for the final couple of weeks of bloom.

Just my thoughts,

atvb with whatever you do :D 

:yinyang:

• Like 2

When I switched to LED I doubled my yield n the quality of bud shot up too. I'd always struggled to get more than half gram per watt under hps.  So I would always say if u can afford LED do that! They make a shitty grower look decent (talking from experience lol) If it was me I would put roughly 300w LED in there . 

• Like 1

600w is too much for that tent.

I agree with @Colakush about the led, I might not have doubled my yield but its gone up significantly and the weed is better.

If its too much outlay then go for a 400w hps or a 315cmh. Only thing with the cmh is decent bulbs are £100 so it makes far more sense getting an led. 

I only realised after buying a cmh for my veg tent :doh:

Edited by KC
Too not to
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, KC said:

600w is too much for that tent.

I agree with @Colakush about the led, I might not have doubled my yield but its gone up significantly and the weed is better.

If its too much outlay then go for a 400w hps or a 315cmh. Only thing with the cmh is decent bulbs are £100 so it makes far more sense getting an led. 

I only realised after buying a cmh for my veg tent :doh:

600w is too much even for flowering? this is adjustable so i can have it at 400w constantly, I didnt actually know LED is better for quality so thats good ill buy one once i get stuck into it!

I never knew they were better until I tried one. 

Yeah I wouldn't go over 400w hid in that space. Don't go spending over the odds on dimmable ballasts if you are going to swop at some point. Get a maxibright ipac 400w ballast if you can find one for now then swop to a 250-300w led. 

You'll have probably bought a bigger tent by then so it will be irrelevant. 

• Like 1

On 19/03/2022 at 2:03 PM, Seawolf said:

600w is too much even for flowering? this is adjustable so i can have it at 400w constantly, I didnt actually know LED is better for quality so thats good ill buy one once i get stuck into it!

600w isn't to much for flowering led don't pull the watts from wall so most useless inless expensive brand 

@Grow lady We're assuming we're talking about decent leads, as in a 600w that pulls 600w (slightly more in fact). A 600w led in an 80cm sq tent is far too much.

I know what you mean about '600w Chinese lights' though. 

• Like 2