I’ve decided to try rdwc diy ?

Tommytopper

I’ve decided to give rdwc ago for the first time 

I’ve been a coco grower for years but fancy a change 

I want a 6 pot system I like the look of the alien pro 36l system but don’t like the price 

im an ok diy’er so fancy giving it ago myself? Is it worth it ? Any rough ideas on costs ?

wanting the following 

30+ litre pots 

square pots

thick 3/4inch pipe work 

my thinking is I’d be able to put the left of money towards a chiller 

any help and advice would be lovely 

thanks 

• Like 1

@Tommytopper

@badbillybob & @zen-ken...one for you two I think...

These guys are all over rdwc bud...

I used to grow dwc but have recently moved on to a new diy hydro system that's proving to be a success, (no chiller required...lol)

Have a look in my Mish-Mash thread if you're thinking of making a change...:yep:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stu914 said:

@Tommytopper

@badbillybob & @zen-ken...one for you two I think...

These guys are all over rdwc bud...

I used to grow dwc but have recently moved on to a new diy hydro system that's proving to be a success, (no chiller required...lol)

Have a look in my Mish-Mash thread if you're thinking of making a change...:yep:

Thanks mate I’ll look now 

• Like 1

@stu914 I’ve just been looking at your mish mash hydro posts looks very interesting, it’s got me thinking how much did the Materials cost if you don’t mind me asking ? 

am I thinking it’s a recirculating dripper system that’s using the pots to just hold the roots like an nft style of growing? 

looks amazing mate well done 

• Like 1

I carnt find any flood trays where did you buy yours please I’ll just buy the trays then build the frames out of wood so I can build them how I want 

thanks again 

• Like 1

Hello and welcome to the dark art of pure water culture :dev:

Supporting the best team in the world is a good start with me :yep:

If you want to go RDWC and need some inspiration see the following sites....Each have a system that I fucking adore parts of and can be re engineered with ease.

CCH20

Hydraunlimted

Alien

Alien - They don't make the smaller version of the alien pro anymore and the V system was too big for my space.

CCH20 - I add them cause they are lovely built and the drain off is a nice touch.....they cost the earth tho 

Hydraunlimted - serious fucking money now but I follow a guy on another site thats yanking trees out of it 

If you want a hassle free, cheaper grow.....don't bother and just RTW with salts :yep:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tommytopper said:

I want a 6 pot system I like the look of the alien pro 36l system but don’t like the price 

im an ok diy’er so fancy giving it ago myself? Is it worth it ? Any rough ideas on costs ?

wanting the following 

30+ litre pots 

square pots

thick 3/4inch pipe work 

thanks 

Ok mate i just started in a iws system what i can teĺl up to now the diffrence is night and day to soil if you in uk have a look on ebay theres really good cheap alien system second hand under used hydroponics hope this helps

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/03/2022 at 0:10 PM, Tommytopper said:

wanting the following 

30+ litre pots 

square pots

thick 3/4inch pipe work 

thanks 

I started my first grow in aqua farms they grow trees and from what I did simple! never even bothered warming the water or out just plant a rooted cut in clay pebbles pump on and forget about it but back then I didn't give a fuck young and daft... In the end the AFs cost me big time with root rot but I was busy and not changing or topping it as I should too busy away from home. Very simple and leak free but don't use water at 20 I'd use just plain old cold water work for me for years just make sure it ain't to warm. Also don't use rockwool it should be called rotwool 

• 5 months later...

You could build the Alien Silver system with some black 84l or 42l RUBs, then just connect them direct and use x2 40mm solvent weld pieces/tanks connectors, don't bother with push fit!

Have these return to main control RUB and have this RUB output a 22mm rigid overflow pipe or use black hydro tubing/connectors, think its 19mm or 25mm?

Have an isolator on each feed into each tub to control flow etc....

This is what i am thinking tbh, but VERY early stages as i don't know sizw of tent yet and u have to keep it silentish... lol

I want to do a 6 pot system if possible but NO idea what tent i could fit this in with good flow rates etc.

Oh plus a chiller is ESSENTIAL imo, just have it fluming in/out of control tub....

That's how far i have got in my mind....ha ha

double 40mm Tanks i have definitely decided on and double feed back to main tank.

What size tent do i need to get x6 in with main tub outside??

Wish i could remember how to add a pic/drawing safely..lol

Think i just worked it out and you can get x5 42l RUBS in a 1.2 x 2.4 tent.

They are 44cm wide, so =2.2m, you would only have 10cm spare each end, but one end would be blank and the other u could feed at 90 degree out of tent into the control RUB.

You could have the dual 40mm outlets on each side if each tub (so x4 each tub) or would one each side suffice?

How do i get a pic up on here of what im thinking before i start my own thread, we could help each other, i have it in my mind but need to get it on paper on her....

12 hours ago, takeiteazy said:

Think i just worked it out and you can get x5 42l RUBS in a 1.2 x 2.4 tent.

They are 44cm wide, so =2.2m, you would only have 10cm spare each end, but one end would be blank and the other u could feed at 90 degree out of tent into the control RUB.

You could have the dual 40mm outlets on each side if each tub (so x4 each tub) or would one each side suffice?

How do i get a pic up on here of what im thinking before i start my own thread, we could help each other, i have it in my mind but need to get it on paper on her....

You wont need that many tubs....I have a slightly smaller space (1m x 2m) and I only have four pots in it 

large.Coderedinthehouse.jpeg

Still completely fills the space....you need to allow for the fact the plants get real BIG real quick in RDWC :yep:

• Like 1

@zen-ken

That's brilliant!! But 90% if your skill i suspect, have you a diary on this?

Looks like you have small 4mm feed lines here? I can't make the system out tbh but they look very healthy, less is more defiantly.

Thanks for the ink re uploading, been looking for that.

• Like 1