Using a Velux Window For Extraction

MindSoup

Hello chums.

I'm in the middle of flower and despite my dehumidifiers beat efforts my humidity is climbing. The main cause of the problem is that I'm extracting back into the room. The only window in the room my tent is in is a velux, and for various long winded reasons there isn't anywhere to drill a hole to the outside. I was happily just leaving the velux open with the duct sticking out last summer, but its too cold to do that at the moment. I'm struggling to think of a good way to seal up the gaps around the ducting and was hoping someone has already been there and done that and I can just steal their idea. 

If all else fails I could just get another dehumidifier, but the lecy bill is already plenty big enough.  

All ideas welcome. 

not sure if you can do it with a velux but i did this with a small window, i used cardboard, but for light purposes how about some plastic sheet, like perspex and cut a hole for the duct and seal the whole thing into the open window frame?

• Like 3

I instantly thought about one of those circular glass cutters but this is less permanent ....

Punch this into the big river: 

HOOMEE Centre Pivot Roof Window Seal Kit for Portable Air-Conditioner and Tumble Dryer

:yinyang:

• Like 3

@MindSoup  Try a reducer to conduit pipe size (letterbox size) then get a strip of insulation/polystyrene slightly bigger than the vent and cut to length for velux and try keep it as narrow as possible so it won't wedge the window open too much.

• Like 1

You could build a sort of cupboard around the velux....cut a round hole in the side for the ducting to attach to, and make the front openable so you still have easy access to the velux when needed.

• Like 1

These are all good ideas, never realised you can buy those window sealing kits, my window has hinges at the top  but I'm sure I could find one for it. 

I like the idea of building a sort of second window/box, there's a lip all the way around the frame I could easily attach it to, the outer window could be open just a crack and still allow enough airflow as well so more stealth. 

Thanks guys was a bit stumped and now I've got multiple options. I'll see what sticks. 

• Like 2

Sweet looks like Screwfix do one of those fabric window seal kits so I can pick that up tomorrow and see how I get on with it. Possibly upgrade to a piece of Polycarp greenhouse sheet at a later date. 

• Like 2

I exhaust out of a velux window and just covered it with cardboard and cut a hole for the ducting. The window is left open a few inches and is secured with chain so it can be opened any more.

@MindSoup hey dude is it a propper velux window? As when they are open due to the fact they swivel it creates a gap at both ends right?

So window kits are hard to fit.. also a sheet of some thing over it may get in the way as the window needs to drop to open.. id build a small frame with light weight timber to creat a box then clad that in kingspan or some other insulation board.. cut a hole in that for your duct and place that over your velux to you will then have a void so you can crack the window and that can drop into the void.. you could even install some hooks to the frame of the velux or some other type of fixing so it can be removed easy enough if needed..this way you will be nice and warm and still get the job done.. few screws some 1 x 1 baton and a sheet of insulation is all you would really need mate :yep:

Just to add obviously you got to think about water ingress when it rains if the window is gonna remain open all the time.. maybe this is something else you'd need to ponder over

Edited by Revive
  • Like 1

Another thing to consider is that a loft velux that is open 24/7 looks pretty suspect, especially in winter.

• Like 1

@Revive It is a velux brand window but it has a hinge at the top of the frame, I think the technical term is an awning style window, I've got one of those fabric "air conditioner window seal kits" to pick up from Screwfix after work so we'll see how well it works/fits. 

@cypher79 it does look pretty bate but the only people who ever see that window know whats going on up there and they're family so not too big a deal. 

I'll post some pictures up of this doo dad when I've got it fitted later :hippy:

• Like 2

I read what you said about not wanting to cut a hole to the outside but can you not simply cut a hole through the plasterboard and vent into the loft? Most lofts are pretty airy and I doubt your extract would make much / any difference to rh in the loft space. Obviously this assumes you have some loft space not converted to living space :)

Just now, Roofless won said:

I read what you said about not wanting to cut a hole to the outside but can you not simply cut a hole through the plasterboard and vent into the loft? Most lofts are pretty airy and I doubt your extract would make much / any difference to rh in the loft space. Obviously this assumes you have some loft space not converted to living space :)

Its a long and not very interesting story but essentially there is no suitable place to extract through a wall or ceiling or even the floor lol. Imagine a house within a house, well sort of, its complicated. 

@MindSoup in a flat I used to live in I couldn't get extraction to outside for my tumble dryer 

Ended up with some plastic box thing that extraction went into and that collected all the moisture.not sure if this will help you but it did catch water.

think i got if from b and q

2 hours ago, MindSoup said:

, I think the technical term is an awning style

Good news for you as that will make it so much easier.. the window kits are ok but there plenty draughty still.. plus what will you do when it rains if the window is in the roof? Water will find its way in won't it mate?