Seed germination

Darknight420710

Hi all, I hope this is the right section. 

How long would you keep seeds in paper towels before transplanting into pots? 

I soaked in a glass and all sunk after 12hrs and I then put them in paper towels and placed this in a propergator and left there for 4 days. 

So far all have cracked but the roots are only a mm long and dont seem to be shooting. Should I persevere and hope they get a little longer before transplant or would it be better to just chuck in coco and hope they pop up. 

I normally do this method of germinating and the seeds are usually a good half inch long after 3 or 4 days in towels 

Any advice? 

• Like 1

Alright there @Darknight420710

I am an advocate of just letting them sink, maybe crack a bit, then just with a bit of gravity on your side potting them.

I used to do the whole tissue I’m between two saucers in the airing cupboard for a few days thing, but found once the tails get going they are really easy to upset, which generally led to death.

Less is more in this case, obviously this is my experience others probably have a few dozen methods, perhaps a wand and a spell, Its not that I am lazy or impatient just less input means much more successful  survival rate, for me.

Take it easy Jj :yinyang:

• Like 4

I have always done it this way and always will (I tell a lie...I just did three pips for a friend straight into the cube from the paper towels.

I like to let them get to little beansprouts before I open up the cube and place them inside.

24hrs soak minimum with a little 'roughing' up of the bean first....then the paper towel.

It sounds to me like the paper is/has been too wet and not warm enough.

• Like 4

Natures manages without paper towels, so I'm with the plant it in the medium and wait. Sinking does seem to make them sprout quicker I admit but I'm not in that much of a rush. 

• Like 8

I think when one is new to it, like a child, minutes are hours and impatience demands that we see progress at the earliest opportunity, so we force the seed to germinate in free air, a little bit of water and bog roll. :)      

E2A   This image shows the capillary hairs on the tap root that absorb the moisture and nutes.  It shouldn't take much imagination  to comprehend how fragile they are to handling.

large.622a57a0638c6_taproot.jpg

Edited by catweazle1
Added image
  • Like 8

Make sure it's warm enough at the actual taproot.

Keep the paper towel moist, not wet or allowed to dry out.

Make sure there are water droplets around to show it's warm and humid enough.

Some air.

Keep in the dark.

Edited by QFMAC
  • Like 1

That photo is pretty epic @catweazle1

@Darknight420710 If they've already cracked and showing the tap root I would plonk them in. Don't worry to much about the half inch, I've seen that recommended but as mentioned they are quite delicate - The smaller the tap root the easier they are to transplant I find.

~ Tooka ~

Edited by Tooka
  • Like 2

no one mentions the enzymes produced/released when a seed first cracks.....

if this happens anywhere other than in the soil it will grow in, then the enzymes are lost.....

• Like 6

Im not sure about cannabis but there are some seeds which when germinating release an inhibitor to stop other seeds near by germinating as well.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, zen-ken said:

It sounds to me like the paper is/has been too wet and not warm enough.

I second that

mystic

• Like 1
5 hours ago, buddy13 said:

no one mentions the enzymes produced/released when a seed first cracks.....

if this happens anywhere other than in the soil it will grow in, then the enzymes are lost.....

Is this what House and Garden reckon is in the amino treatment do you think ?

:g: 

36 minutes ago, Kush Lover said:

Following this after my recent nightmare! 

Ive been doing it old school for over two decades and my strike rate is around 90%

I normally lose seedlings through impatience getting the helmet off lol 

what happened ?

:skin_up:

• Like 1