WHEN to water coco

Penguinfarmer

Seeing plants in both 10L pots and 4.5L pots, I definately prefer smaller pots. Just how things look. Feels like they are pretty maxed out with 4 plants on 4x4, wouldnt try 1 plant in 4.5l per 4x4 lol

• Like 1

Just now, badbillybob said:

why not just use bigger pots? or am i missing something here? 

bigger pots=slower dryback lights out=less irrigations =happy plants

I will trial 9L pots next grow and get what you're saying. my style of grow requires minimal veg time so all about quick turn around and maximum root fillage in that time frame (is fillage a word......?.... tequila kicking in lol)

keep you posted but defo get your point, when i was hand watering  bigger pots caused such an issue but now I'm auto drip system.... game on

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marky1000 said:

@sweettooth you got a homemade dripper system ?

After many questions and Google searches yes. started off with a dripper add on kit to my medusa rtw trays and decided to go with a different dripper stake but seems to be working out OK so far. saves a shit ton of manual hand waterings. fill the res once every 5 to 6 days,  spend a bit longer tending to the bitches but not up there every night so can spend more time with my family

• Like 1

:rofl:

@mikeydoughnut Im proud of you bro....I would have bit like a fish lol 

@Owderb thats was surprisingly chilled considering the response lol 

your both getting soft in your old age :rofl::rofl:

:wassnnme:

Edited by zen-ken
  • Like 2

Understand that this is coco but when I ran nft it was running 24/7. Which seems standard practice.

So why is this ok but not acceptable to water during the night if in a different medium?

• Like 2

@zen-ken Meet the new improved me lol I thought it worth a pat on’t back not a belittling lol 

@M Pamplemousse Golden explains it on the other page. Transpiration stops at lights out. The only way water/moisture is lost during this period is via environmental factors. I’m not an expert, far from it. But as I understand it watering during lights off wouldn’t be of benefit as the plant isn’t awake and would only sit in the wet pot idly until Wakey Wakey time. Wet medium will hold the cold and might even create bad roots done often enough(?). The only thing I know about NFT is there is no medium interacting with your roots so maybe that’s all it’s down to. Your water if not used goes back into a res instead of just sitting in the pot. All this is my assumptions and possibly flawed understanding. I really do need to read more about growing. I just do stuff and don’t actually know why I’m doing it or why it’s best practice. We’ll get there eh :) 

Edited by mikeydoughnut
  • Like 3

@Penguinfarmer im using an 8l airpot, watering at lights on and preferably about two hrs before lights out. soil now drying out a bit so bought a "mighty dripper bag" its great 

coco when fully saturated still has enough oxygen within it. 

37 minutes ago, mikeydoughnut said:

@zen-ken

@M Pamplemousse Golden explains it on the other page. Transpiration stops at lights out. 

Hey MD. Thanks for the reply.

I did read that hence my question wrt specifically nft. Pump runs all 24/7. Never a problem.

Anyway, maybe it's of no relevance. Thought it interesting as possibly an exception to the rule....

I run Coco with multiple waterings during the day but nothing at night but my pots are still moist in morning.

Edited by M Pamplemousse
  • Like 1

On 12/03/2022 at 8:39 PM, Penguinfarmer said:

Or is there a point, is it linear change from 100% saturated?

As far as I'm aware, its linear when you read pore water EC and not run off EC. Dont ask me why the difference yet, I'm still learning lol

On 12/03/2022 at 8:39 PM, Penguinfarmer said:

I feel that when you get to hit multiple feeds, stalks start to fatten and things just kick into another gear.

Increased access to oxygen and nothing else! 

• Like 2