WHEN to water coco

Penguinfarmer

Does it make any difference if you water when lights go on, or start watering 1h later? I remember reading something about this but coulnd't find it anymore. Feeding multiple times a day and using small 4.5L pots, so they get pretty dry during night. Might have to put one watering on dark cycle later.

• Like 3

Pure coco? @Penguinfarmer How big are the plants? Water as often as you need to, irrespective of time of day. It's not like a soil routine. The important thing is to not have it dry out as that will concentrate the nutes in the coco and you'll be seeing dark leaves and burnt tips.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 7

@catweazle1ye pure coco, 4 plants fill 4x4, and setting an automated feeding routine now so thats why I was asking. Been doing so for few runs but want to dial it in perfect :) Hmm that might be why my runoff EC jumped. Maybe I was handfeeding too few times since they drank like 500-600ml per plant each watering in 4.5L pots. 3x a day. No burnt leaftips though so it didn't get too bad.

• Like 3

Dry backs are the way to go in the early stages of potting up to a bigger size pots/fabric, this encourages the roots to fill out the your medium in this case coco. 

• Like 5

@DCC Yes I did this, now the pots are very filled with roots. I am also wondering how much to water each round. I've been doing pretty big waterings so far. Someone was explaining that you should water 250ml in ~4L pot per watering. Do you guys agree to this? It means I will have to water ~6 times a day now and plants arent even at biggest stage yet.

• Like 3

I’m doing 3L pots in coco for the first time. I water right at lights on and then 6 hours into their cycle and they’re fine. I’d avoid watering just before lights out though. I put 1.3L through my pots. Which is almost half the volume. Though this may seem a lot to some. Might even perturb others but it’s the only way I get in and out EC’s how I want them. 

It’s only me first coco grow though mind. I’m no professional I just know what’s worked for me on me first go.

Edited by mikeydoughnut
  • Like 3

Just now, Penguinfarmer said:

@DCC Yes I did this, now the pots are very filled with roots. I am also wondering how much to water each round. I've been doing pretty big waterings so far. Someone was explaining that you should water 250ml in ~4L pot per watering. Do you guys agree to this? It means I will have to water ~6 times a day now and plants arent even at biggest stage yet.

I think you may need to pot up, if your watering this frequently in 4 L pots?, if you have been doing dry backs, them pots should be full of roots and ready for some new boots.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mikeydoughnut said:

I’m doing 3L pots in coco for the first time. I water right at lights on and then 6 hours into their cycle and they’re fine. I’d avoid watering just before lights out though. I put 1.3L through my pots. Which is almost half the volume. Though this may seem a lot to some. Might even perturb others but it’s the only way I get in and out EC’s how I want them. 

It’s only me first coco grow though mind. I’m no professional I just know what’s worked for me on me first go.

This is very dry imo. I am worried my 600ml per 4.5L pot is too dry. Earlier it might be ok but when roots have established I feel its very dry. You might want to look into giving them atleast 4 waterings a day, I feel this is when they kick into higher gear

Edited by Penguinfarmer
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Penguinfarmer said:

You might want to look into giving them atleast 4 waterings a day, I feel this is when they kick into higher gear

Mate check my diary. I’m not big headed but I’m fucking killing it bud with 2 waterings. Give them a proper watering if they’re rooted out. A 4 litre pot shouldnt need watering 4 times a day. Let me rephrase that. A pot that size watered 4 times a day should never dry out in my opinion unless it’s like 40 degrees in your room. I piss more than 600ml mate they need about 1.5 litre. 

Again I’m new to this and not being big headed but what you’re saying doesn’t add up. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, catweazle1 said:

Water as often as you need to, irrespective of time of day.

You shouldn't water during lights off as your plants aren't transpiring. You should water 30 mins - 1hr after the lights go on - a good way to tell accurately is to watch for the relative humidity spiking after the lights come on - this is your plants starting to transpire and thus indicating its time to water.

A good way to tell if your plants need additional fertigation is by keeping a note of input and output volume, and input and output EC. If the output volume decreases, and the ouput EC increases, add more fertigation events.

• Like 13

@mikeydoughnut

Yes its fine, there is as many styles of grow as there is growers. 

@GSZZ

I might have to give them atleast half a watering later on, during lights off, so they don't get too dry. Plants are pretty big for 4.5L pot. 

This might be the same reason I remember reading you should wait ~1h before watering when lights go on. 

Edited by Owderb
Quotes removed. Please use the @function