Dripper System Design - Rings vs manifolds

sweettooth

I have searched but no fruits so hence my question.

I purchased a dripper add on kit from OSGS and am nearing the setup. It uses the standard arrow drippers

I see that @GSZZ and @SYZYGY use a drip ring system with open hoses as opposed to manifolds and drippers - any reason (other than I can think that drippers may clog up and stop)?

Also where to place and rig up the anti-syphon valve. ( I do recall seeing the setup by @SYZYGY on a previous thread on this)

I have the Aquaking Q2007 and have 15 pots - 3 rows of 5 so thinking of the design and layout. Any advice is welcome................And any other useful tips

Thanks in advance

Hi Mate,

Doing same myself!

The ring ensures an equal pressure to each dripper, so each pot gets the same volume each cycle.

Unless....... Im having issues using thin nylon pond tubing for the ring, feeding 8 big pots in a small tent means the radius's are tight and one of my rings is getting a restricted flow.... may not be such an issue for you.

38 minutes ago, sweettooth said:

drip ring system with open hoses

They are what I use, works a treat...this is a ring system I use for starting seeds/clones.

The green hose round the outside rim is connected to a maxijet 100 pump in the res, each pot has a single spout feeding off it.

large.SSCN1507.JPGlarge.SSCN1506.JPG

This is the drip ring I use during flower 2 spouts in each pot which runs off a manifold as opposed to a ring...works just as well...(more pics in my gallery)

large.SSCN0973.JPGlarge.SSCN1394.JPG

• Like 4

I thought the idea of the pressure regulated drip stakes were that each pot gets the same amount of flow due to the pressure being equal? wouldn't the lines closet to the pump without pressure stakes get more flow than the end ones or should I create 1 big ring around my whole tent?

2 hours ago, stu914 said:

They are what I use, works a treat...this is a ring system I use for starting seeds/clones.

The green hose round the outside rim is connected to a maxijet 100 pump in the res, each pot has a single spout feeding off it.

large.SSCN1507.JPGlarge.SSCN1506.JPG

This is the drip ring I use during flower 2 spouts in each pot which runs off a manifold as opposed to a ring...works just as well...(more pics in my gallery)

large.SSCN0973.JPGlarge.SSCN1394.JPG

Ok mate the system you use for clones and seeds  what timer do you use is it a minute and second one all the ones i have are 15mins intervals trying to set up a system like that for mine cheers

I am using Hydro Halo's so not a dripper strictly, but that is the idea behind the ring in that thread... 

50 minutes ago, Baron von greenback said:

15mins intervals

I start them off with one 15 mins every 24 hours, (this is when the cubes only have a single tap root showing) then 2 x 15 every 24

Once there's a decent root system from the mesh pot it goes to 15mins on 45mins off 24/7 for the rest of the grow.

Putting the mesh pot inside a solid one and top watering promotes the root ball then take it off once established.

large.SSCN0976.JPG

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sweettooth said:

I thought the idea of the pressure regulated drip stakes were that each pot gets the same amount of flow due to the pressure being equal? wouldn't the lines closet to the pump without pressure stakes get more flow than the end ones or should I create 1 big ring around my whole tent?

Make a ring, even if you're using pressure compensated - you'll get higher pressure along the line nearer the end, than you will towards the pump, which could cause only some of the drippers to work - you shouldn't really be using 2 different types of drip stakes, and flow, its just a disaster waiting to happen. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, stu914 said:

I start them off with one 15 mins every 24 hours, (this is when the cubes only have a single tap root showing) then 2 x 15 every 24

Once there's a decent root system from the mesh pot it goes to 15mins on 45mins off 24/7 for the rest of the grow.

Putting the mesh pot inside a solid one and top watering promotes the root ball then take it off once established.

large.SSCN0976.JPG

Cheers mate

• Like 3

Sorry all, may not have made myself clear.

I will now use a main ring around my pots like either one of these designs.. which one is better?

large.622a39a8ad646_Dripper1.JPG

large.622a39a84220b_Dripper2.JPG

my main question was wether to use arrow stakes connected via manifold to my main line  or to use open hoses to each pot?

• Like 1

Tbh @sweettooth I think you’ll still have problems getting an even pressure with either of those layouts although the first one is definitely better, reason being is that you have an uneven amount of drippers coming off of each side of the ring (10 one side & 5 the other) 

I have done similar layouts to that with drippers in the past and trust me they didn’t work the best at all no matter what I did it was a real pita because it was so unreliable. I’m not sure what size pot and medium you use but if you only need one dripper per pot I’d use the arrow drippers rather than the open hose simply just to easily keep the line held in place.

9 minutes ago, sweettooth said:

open hoses to each pot?

I always use open flow to the pots, 2 spouts in each...

Re your design diagram... I would have 3 horizontal feed pipes with five pots watered off each pipe.

• Like 1

@Notorious B.U.D

Coco 70/30 in 5L airpots

The kit I bought came with manifolds with 4 outlets on each, designed for 2 arrow drippers per pot, 2 pots pots per manifold. was a 16 pot system but I'm growing 15

@stu914

Ill go for 3 lines then

• Like 2

@Notorious B.U.D

Correction.. I have these 8 way manifolds for 2 lines per 4 pots

large.20220311_080328.jpg

as long as each line from the manifold to the dripper is the same length, should be OK?