Cheapest Place For MCT

MindSoup

If your using a load of your weed or trim , surly you want to maximize what you have and what you get from it. It's probably worth waiting a day or two for postage? 

I don't know science, but I have heard MCT is far better for your body than any other oils. Maybe olive oil is a option ? 

Considering you could be doseing a fair few ml a day if your a heavy user. It will have somekind of effect on your body. 

Either way , I have used MCT oil with several extractions and it's my favourite. You can stick it in drinks and it's not got no taste (aside from the weed) 

Normally just get the stuff of the river site. 

@Jack? I'm just using up trim thats in the way lol, efficiency isn't really a concern. I've got cannabis in all forms coming out of my ears lol.

TBH I'm not much a health freak and I don't follow food trends, I eat plenty of fruit, veg etc and generally avoid processed foods (which MCT actually is funnily enough) but I'm honestly not that bothered about what oil I consume or cook with. Until about 5 years ago no one had even heard of coconut oil and we all survived just fine, my grandparents both lived long and healthy lives and they preferred lard/dripping lol.

The only thing that would convince me is if the oil is going to extract/make available significantly more resin. Even then I'd happily just use a bit more of a different oil to extract and use a higher dose.

Has anyone here got first hand experience with both MCT extract and a different oil extract and how much of a difference there really is potency wise? If it's night and day then I might be tempted, but until now I've always been satisfied with the results using grape/hemp seed oil so can't really see a need to change.  Maybe I should make a batch of both and find out for myself, its usually the only thing that will actually convince me lol .  

I'm a stubborn old bugger, I know, but I do appreciate the input. 

This area of the forum would serve you better http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?/forum/78-cannabis-cookbook/

We use coconut oil (mct) because it has a higher percentage of fats for the THC to bind to

It's much more stable over longer periods of time, butter/ghee can go off so you need to use it sharp

I infused these 15 months ago and have 1 jar left it's still fine :yep: very potent

large.setoil.jpg

• Like 5

Sometimes I like to use olive oil (I use virgin in fact). I think the end product is just as potent although a friend of mine disagrees and says coconut and mct is better at extracting. The flavours are much better in olive oil. I've never been as stoned as the first time I tried it, although I did have too much.

Never again! 

• Like 1

@Exhale totally forgot about that section lol. I did end up going with grape seed because I had the motivation and just wanted to get it done before I forgot all about it again. I didn't use all of it though so maybe I'll do some with MCT and see whats what, tempted to do some ethanol tincture as well though, that stuff hits like a train. 

@KC never tried using olive oil, but i do love the taste of it, I bet a little dish of that and some balsamic, to dip bread in over a few cervezas would be delightful on a summers evening. 

• Like 2

Imo I used both the MCT n tinctures heavily while I worked at home during covid. Both did the job very very well some days was v hazy. 

My and my mates fav is the MCT. It mixes well with everything and even having raw spoonful isn't that bad to the pallette. However I did notice my shits getting a little oilly shall we say. Plus if I do a workout or manual labour my sweat can smell v weedy. I was free pooring MCT into protein shakes at the time though. V v risky..

Stick to a tea or tablespoon for sure. 

Edited by growinggold
  • Like 3

I just drink it tbf, although it's quite nice in yoghurt. Maybe I'll try it over some baked feta. I do like to know my dosage though, I'm not repeating that first time again. It was funny looking back but no so much fun at the time :fear:

• Like 2

@growinggold my over the counter CBD oil is made with MCT and like you say its very palatable even just dropped under the tongue, I've grown to savour the flavour as it sits in my mouth. You must have been absolutely caning it to notice it at the other end lol. I doubt I'll ever be using that much that often, I still prefer a fat old jimmy rifter, this will be more for those times when I cant just blaze one up and those rare occasions I have the free time to go deep. 

• Like 2

Just now, KC said:

I just drink it tbf, although it's quite nice in yoghurt. Maybe I'll try it over some baked feta. I do like to know my dosage though, I'm not repeating that first time again. It was funny looking back but no so much fun at the time :fear:

It can definitely turn on you lol I was absolutely sure I was having a heart attack once lol

• Like 2

23 hours ago, MindSoup said:

@Newcouch I just want oil that gets me high and I can't find any information about one being any better than the other at extracting the resin. I'm pretty sure they use MCT because its more palatable and possibly because its not as thick so doesn't gack your mouth up as much, personally neither of those things bother me. 

If there's a genuine reason MCT is better then I'd shell out for it, but as I say I cant find one.

E2A @Graywolf what do you have to say on the matter? Am I making a grave error using grape seed oil over MCT? 

I've extracted with any number of different fats and oils, all of which worked well:

https://graywolfslair.com/index.php/diy-cannamed-production/9-4-extraction/9-4-5-vegetable-and-nut-oil-extraction

There are any number of articles explaining why Coconut and Palm Medium Chain Triglycerides are more salubrious for a litany of reasons, one being that the liver is able to process the shorter molecule chains faster and with less effort.  

Soooo, ostensibly since the liver also breaks down and removes the lighter cannabinoids after it finishes with the heavier fats, it could reduce the time that the cannabinoids remain effective.  A subtilty I haven't noticed or thought about until you asked the question and it doesn't take much to run small samples of both and see which you like best for yourself. 

From my perspective, the fish trap exists because of the fish.  In this case the fish is the medical effects of the cannabis, so any medical benefits from the vegetable oil is secondary. 

Considering we are consuming it in dropper quantities, the extra salubriousness of the oil has minimal effect on our bodies, as the other vegetable oil options like grapeseed oil are not insalubrious and mostly healthier than animal fats, though I give extra points for taste using Ghee (and probably bacon grease).    

A smart shopper on a limited budget might select the best unit price, while a looser budget might experiment with the panoply of choices.  When we made oil extractions in class, there was always a range of taste differences is what oil extraction was the most tasty.  Mostly I liked all of those listed in my article.

Edited by Graywolf
  • Like 6

@Graywolf thanks for the input mate, I often look to your site for references/guidance including that very link you posted. It hasn't occurred to me that the faster absorption would shorten the half life, I guess that could be seen as a benefit or a draw back depending on the situation. 

Like you say it could be worth making a batch of both to see which I prefer, a more intense but shorter lived hit could be quite fun. Anyway I'm glad I didn't waste my time/trim last night (second heat cycle when I get home from work).

I was curious about your cotton candy extraction method, but it looks like it been removed from your site/the link has broken. Is it literally candy floss that gets you high? 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, MindSoup said:

@Graywolf thanks for the input mate, I often look to your site for references/guidance including that very link you posted. It hasn't occurred to me that the faster absorption would shorten the half life, I guess that could be seen as a benefit or a draw back depending on the situation. 

Like you say it could be worth making a batch of both to see which I prefer, a more intense but shorter lived hit could be quite fun. Anyway I'm glad I didn't waste my time/trim last night (second heat cycle when I get home from work).

I was curious about your cotton candy extraction method, but it looks like it been removed from your site/the link has broken. Is it literally candy floss that gets you high? 

Thanks for the good thoughts brother!  

Not sure what is going on with the Cotton Candy thread, but suspect it has something to do with my webmaster installing a new format.  I'll fix it.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2022 at 4:43 AM, Graywolf said:

Thanks for the good thoughts brother!  

Not sure what is going on with the Cotton Candy thread, but suspect it has something to do with my webmaster installing a new format.  I'll fix it.

Sorry, the page is still there, just not opening for some reason and despite my best efforts, beyond me to fix, sooooo I've texted my webmaster and asked for some of his time to fix that and another related item.  I think it has to do with the new format that he just installed and the numbering system.  More when it's fixed: 

• Like 1