Beach fishing?

*DJ*

7 hours ago, *DJ* said:

I can remember having a few caravans on a site about 5 mile up the coast, there was always fish in the pool once the tide came in, filled it and went out, flatfish, baby polok, small bass, eels, allsorts, ya don't see anything like that now, even the sea weed looks a bit ropey lol so I'd agree without hardly any sea angling experience that stocks have declined.

DJ...

Stocks have not just declined but they have virtually disappeared, I'll never buy fish again, if I want to eat fish, I will go and catch one myself. If you want to know more about the effect commercial fishing has on our oceans, then I suggest you watch this, the full documentary is on Netflix. :hippy:

Edited by Arbre Medicinal

Fished Chesil yesterday, caught the sun, and two Plaice, both undersized but welcome. :)

We had 7 plaice between four of us, two of which were keepers, a dog and a couple of Whiting. 

First shore trip for ages, I was pleased to catch the target species and my first Plaice. :thumsup:

It was a bit slow, so I had a casting lesson from my fancy pendulum casting mate too, which was useful, not casting in a pendulum style, more like easy methods to compress the rod properly before twatting it while still being manageable with a fixed spool. Learned a lot yesterday...:)

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/03/2022 at 7:53 AM, Captain Bonglington said:

I do a bit of shore fishing, Bristol Channel, Chesil, Pembrokeshire occasionally. It can be pretty brutal, lots of blanks. 

I think the only way to catch anything like consistently is to fish as often as you can and learn which tides and times produce what fish on your chosen venue. Keep an eye on the socials, not everyone will post their catches but a few will, it will give you an idea of what's going on.

Rigs wise, either a 2 hook flapper for smaller baits/fish, or a pulley or up and over for bigger baits. 

Learn to cast well, you don't necessarily need to pendulum cast, I don't, it can be fucking dangerous, but a solid overhead technique, learning to properly compress the rod will catch you fish. 

Got to go to work @*DJ*, @me if you've any questions and I'll get back to you. 

Did a night on Chesil last year with a mate, thunder storm forecast but thought fuck it, go anyway. Think we were pretty lucky not to get swept out to sea, was the most brutal nights fishing yet and I’ve fished through a few savage storms. Had to dig my shattered shelter out of the shingle come first light.

had some great sessions on that beach though

• Like 2

I'm not sure how this is going to go, but some how iv collected a consortium of anglers who all want to have a go at the beach here, there's about 6 so far,  4 of them love a drink if their more than 4ft away from the enemy indoors and think their get away with it, lol I'm going to aim at next week, 

DJ...

• Like 4

On 26/03/2022 at 4:44 PM, Captain Bonglington said:

Fished Chesil yesterday, caught the sun, and two Plaice, both undersized but welcome. :)

I miss fishing this place, you can pull an almighty blank and get caught in between thousands of feather chucker's on a bank holiday but you stand to catch a huge variety of fish. Being there alone in the middle of the night or as dawn is coming is quite an experience hearing the waves crashing on the shingle. 

• Like 2

If not treated with the utmost respect, Chesil will fuck you up. :yep:

It's done me twice,I managed to end up borderline hypothermic in late summer, after getting soaked in sweat walking along the shingle in my waterproofs then standing in the wind for hours...I wasn't in a good way. 

And I strained my groin walking on the shingle on the way to the mark, fished all day, hobbling about, and then at about 11pm realised I was going to struggle to walk two miles back to Ferrybridge car park...I thought I was coming off that beach in a helicopter. My buddies carried my gear, and I just about made it,groaning in pain as I hobbled across the wooden bridge over the fleet. Fucking awful experience.

It's never been particularly kind to me in fishing terms either, on its day it's the theatre of dreams, it's hard to learn and unlock it when you live 140 odd miles away...I do love it though, the sunsets are stunning too...:yep:

@Kush Lover, I've spent a night there fishing, off my tits staring at the stars, a comet, satellites...It's an experience. 

It's the vastness, and the exposure of Chesil...for those not familiar, it's about 18 miles of steeply sloping shingle beach. If you're stood at sea level, you can see little else but a world of shingle and land at either end...It's a savage place. 

Edited by Captain Bonglington
  • Like 5

lol I'm glad I'm only fishing about 400 yrds from my front door! :yes: all that coming home half fucked up don't really appeal, :nea:

DJ....

Edited by *DJ*
  • Like 3

No, it can be hard work. lol

With the cost of fuel,Chesil is too far now really, it cost 100 quid in diesel to get there and back last time, plus bait etc.

Bristol channel is closer and equally as savage...don't mind a bit of savagery really, it's fun...:yep:

• Like 1

Me and my pal make a few days of it, drive down from London and Kip in the van, spend a day lure fishing, a day on my pals little boat and a day/night on the beach….. love it, those odd summer nights without a ripple on the sea, cracking

• Like 1

@Captain Bonglington that doesn’t sound like a savage trip! Glad to hear you made it back but you’re right, it’s not to be underestimated. 

The walking alone like you say can be enough to put you off and one of the reasons I gave up bait fishing, sod lugging all that gear each time! I shit you not but I have seen people swimming there! Not exactly the place to dip your toe in the water. 

I’ve had some great catches but like any good blanking fisherman knows it’s just a good time out with good mates lol 

Best surprise catch we had one night was quite a big mullet at about 2am, it was cooking over the fire in about 5 mins and was delicious to say the least. Sorry to any catch and release folk!

31 minutes ago, Kush Lover said:

Best surprise catch we had one night was quite a big mullet at about 2am, it was cooking over the fire in about 5 mins and was delicious to say the least.

:pitchfork:      :furious:       :fish:

Cover your ears my lovely mullet...go free!!!

large.20180630_073650_crop_640x640.jpg

large.20190714_123740_resize_50.jpg

Soon be bread chucking time again...whoop whoop.

Not beach fishing but saltwater dock systems

Edited by stu sleeper 20vt
  • Like 6

On 4/12/2022 at 1:50 AM, *DJ* said:

I'm not sure how this is going to go, but some how iv collected a consortium of anglers who all want to have a go at the beach here, there's about 6 so far,  4 of them love a drink if their more than 4ft away from the enemy indoors and think their get away with it, lol I'm going to aim at next week, 

DJ...

IME alcohol and fishing don't mix, but each to their own. Tight lines.

9 hours ago, Arbre Medicinal said:

IME alcohol and fishing don't mix, but each to their own. Tight lines.

Same here. I like a drink, but fishing and alcohol just don't mix for me. Instant catastrophe and can't be fucked. 

Fishing and herb go hand in hand for me. :yep:

We did one night on Chesil and two days, bag of phet, no sleep...as it got light at about 4am we looked down the beach, we were fucked...out of the dawn light emerged these piles of shite, stuff left from anglers the night before. It was fucking disgraceful. 

It was too much to carry back, bags of it, so there we were, off our tits still at 4am, gathering up all the shite like wombles and burning it off on the camp fire we'd lit the night before. lol

Edited by Captain Bonglington
  • Like 2

I suppose if your dealing with children then alcohol could be a problem, seeing as we are not, we should be fine, but a smoke is  good to go? lol come on? Really? :unsure: pots kettles? Stones glass house? Come to mind a bit! lol 420 double standards at its best :wassnnme:

DJ...

Edited by *DJ*
  • Like 1