Beach fishing?

*DJ*

I know there's a few sea anglers about the boards, so, I've got some rods with a 8oz casing weight, reels, loaded with 25lb yellow sea match line, 70lb leaders, and 15lb flurocardon hook links, with either a single long shank or doubled with a shorter smaller hook to aid larger bait presentation, (squid/fish/crab), that's the easy bit, now I've always carp fished, I'm not bad at finding fetures/ fish holding areas in lakes, regular pre bait has alway helped get me on fish even on the coldest days; now, I'm I working along the same lines just on a bigger scale? I'm I well off course for a fish? Tbh my sea fishing has been a bit hit and miss over the yrs, some times punctuated with the odd eel/whiting/small bass, but nothing to write home about, a few pointer towards a nice fish or 2 would be blinding, also, the beach fisherman iv encountered local so far have been very cagey to say the least, I can't be asked with any of that. so I don't bother with them now, lol

DJ....

• Like 2

i used to beach fish and boat fish a lot, beach was always hit and miss, and having to chase the tides used to get on my wick lol

i think over fishing has ruined it tbh, and that was over 15 years ago that i stopped. always caught whiting, eels and doggies, occasional mackerel but boat fishing was where it's at for the sea imho

• Like 5

Years since I've been fishing, when I was a kid we were surrounded by creeks (all running off Portsmouth Harbour) which were tidal...

From what I remember we always fished on the incoming tide after checking at low tide what trash was on the sea bed to snag our lines.

Mostly eels, pollock and flounder...as Ratty says, boats are always best, especially jigging for mackeral.

• Like 5

Just now, stu914 said:

when I was a kid

blimey, i bet that was a sight looking out to sea and seeing all those sail ships go by lol

• Like 5

Guest Micromole Hole

I used to catch some lovely bass and lemon sole off Bournemouth pier. Lemon sole is gorgeous. 

Edited by Micromole Hole

They're called 'Yachts' Ratty mate, you ever heard of Cowes week?

(Well that fucker backfired on ya bud...:rofl::rofl:)

:wink_kiss:

• Like 4

Just now, stu914 said:

when I was a kid we were surrounded by creeks (all running off Portsmouth Harbour) which were tidal...

My cousin lived down the naval homes in eastney when my uncle was based in Portsmouth, there were creeks down there and we'd go lifting the rocks for crabs, fun times. 

Careful of the sinking mud though!

Not been beach fishing for a time, I have been giving it a thought (fancy a trip camping back up Barmouth, Tywyn and Harlech) my buddy over mid-wales has been pestering me to come and try his shrooms from last year.

When I was taught it was all about learning to pendulum and just setting traps, 3 rods left mid right and sit there with a cuppa tea and a fag and good long stare at a naughty magazine until something bites lol 

• Like 1

Just now, stu914 said:

They're called 'Yachts' Ratty mate, you ever heard of Cowes week?

i was thinking more the spanish armada :wassnnme:

• Like 4

@Exhale

I'm from the other side of the harbour, plenty of stinking mud there where the houseboats used to dump their raw sewage into the creek...:fart:

You soon learnt to keep your mouth shut when going for a swim...happy days (apart from the cunt of a stepfather...:wanker:)

• Like 1

Just now, ratdog said:

i was thinking more the spanish armada :wassnnme:

Not sure they quite made it into Pompey bud...:rofl::rofl:

• Like 4

3 hours either side of high water ,at night was when we used to catch most,though we fished further up the East coast than you,when spurn still had a point,in fact. Had some fantastic moonlight nights on the beach.....

• Like 5

not a great Deal about now guys beach fishing. i fish the the south wales area lovely beaches there. small whiting and plenty of dogfish about but other areas around the country may be different. down this way fishing's very quiet this time of the year. and a lot of people tend to pack they gear away till about the start of may where you have the summer species. coming in. 

• Like 3

I went winter beach fishing somewhere around Grimsby some years ago. Fuck that. It's just the grimmest pastime I've done, and I've done many a night carp fishing in winter. It's the pits. Throwing squid bits into a massive ocean from the beach just feels like instant failure... like hoping to win the main lottery!

• Like 1

at least with sea fishing you can eat most of what you catch. great fun down with us in the summer are catching smooth hounds. but i do agree with you about fishing in the winter im not cut out for that anymore.

• Like 2