Found some spider mites around a newly emerging seedling

slimm88

Hey guys, just planted a northern lights auto from nirvana and as its just cracked and about to surface, I happened to find about 10 or so spider mites. Checked them with a macro clip on my phone so it's definitely them. But they are pure white almost translucent not red or spotted as far as I can see. I've ordered some Phytoseiulus persimilis spider mite predators and will have them Thursday or Friday. Do you think these will work to get rid of them? I'm growing organic so I'm not using any pesticides unless they are organic also. Thanks

I don't need confirmation on what they are I already know. They've killed the seedling when I checked this morning. Onto the next lol

Try SMC ,dunno how Organic that is lol But should kill mites,since they are seedlings I think it's fine. Lights out and spray everything, tent,plants etc

Mites don't like wind so oscillating fan will help from spreading to much until you get what you need.

• Like 1

SMC is just some oil based thing and didnt wipe them out for me fully - maybe set them back a bit.

I have had seedlings literaly covered by mites a day after it popped - no idea how they just all amassed on it - very annoying.

Before popping anything else I would do a deep clean of the grow space with bleach/dettol - perhaps just bin any compost you have and clean all pots too as they are very persistent little fuckers and took me over 2 years to finally rid myself of them.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Herbal Kint said:

Try SMC ,dunno how Organic that is lol

large.SmCfront.jpglarge.SmCrear.jpg

Triethanolamine (TEA or TEOA) is an oily, viscous organic chemical compound that is a tertiary amine and a triol (a molecule with three alcohol groups). TEA is a bifunctional compound that exhibits both properties of alcohols and amines. The compound is used to make surfactants in industrial and cosmetics as a pH adjuster for skin and hair conditioning products as well as sun screen lotions, liquid laundry detergents, polishes, and paints.

• Like 1

Just now, highgrower said:

SMC is just some oil based thing and didnt wipe them out for me fully - maybe set them back a bit.

I have had seedlings literaly covered by mites a day after it popped - no idea how they just all amassed on it - very annoying.

Before popping anything else I would do a deep clean of the grow space with bleach/dettol - perhaps just bin any compost you have and clean all pots too as they are very persistent little fuckers and took me over 2 years to finally rid myself of them.

Maybe best idea when you find mites,ditch all plants and nuke pots and tent with bleach.

I admit SMC was so so solution for me as well but he has to dip his seedlings in something.

• Like 1

If they're pure white they're probably just normal soil mites, quite common to find them in bagged soil and they're totally harmless. 

E2A just seen they're actually doing damage :doh: must read whole post before commenting lol

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

Something doesn't sound right about this at all 

If there's no webbing and completely ghosted speckled leaves then spider mites aren't what killed your plants. 

Stick a pic up. Fiver say you've misdiagnosed it 

• Like 10

Are ya sure they are not soil mites?  :unsure:(not an issue)  Are they on plants or in soil and around the pot?

cant see how a few mites will kill anything. An infestation is an issue.....

if you are just starting out,?

Clean the Area and start again. no use fighting a battle from day one.

Edited by gb1
  • Like 1

Sorry fellas been busy! I'm confident I've diagnosed them right, as far as I can see from various places online... they literally look like tiny tiny spiders with 8 legs. They were swarming around the seed casing and the emerging seedling, it may have been coincidence that it died but it literally didn't grow after from emerging from the seed case in 2 days. Cotyledons didn't open and it started to look like  I only saw them once the seed started to pop up and im in the 3 or 4 times a day. Cant stay away haha! I'll try get a picture again but it means I have to load up my laptop because I can never post them from my phone even when I try to get them resized. They are still in the pot so I'll try to get a decent shot.

Ok so I've managed to get a fairly decent photo and after a little edit on lightroom I think you may be right @blackpoolbouncer means I owe ya a fiver haha! It's weird how they were all going around the seed casing though. They are real hard to shoot as this was 3x zoom with a macro clip and edited. I'll chuck the photo up now just figuring how to do it again.

• Like 1

i had mites a few grows back,the only way i rid the fukas was with raid moskito killer ...i left all the fans running in the groom  + at lights out i squirted the room full with raid,then repeated for 3 nights,the dope plants were quite big though not seedlings !!!  the plants suffered no ill affect it wiped out the mites instantly lol  i tried SMC but since i tried the raid i never look back if i see anything crawl /limp/fly i zap the fukas job done :yep:   raid moskito killer for the win just spray down low not direct on the plants + the fans do the rest :chef:

• Like 1