Dechlorinated water source

yabbah

19 hours ago, cheesehunter said:

I hate chlorine , chloramine and flouride .

I've been thinking of getting a small ro unit from gromax . But I noticed a new product out call neutralise from ecothrive , its about £20 for 250 ml .

1 drop per litre will dechlorinate your tap water and get rid of chloramine aswell .

Has anybody on the site used this product ?

Sounds really good to me ! 

I am using it to treat my water currently, establishing a living soil bed, I can't attest to it working things seem to be growing as normal but one thing I have noticed is the treated water doesn't grow algae if left in a container in a lit place.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MindSoup said:

@cheesehunter have you read the thread? 

Yes mate I did and I even watched a video on YouTube. They had the bacteria levels in his soil tested before and after using chlorinated water. All tests were done by a professional laboratory. 

The bacteria wasn't harmed at all .

At the same time I hate the taste of chlorine in my water . Also I'm just always trying to learn more about every aspect of growing.  Water chemistry is a big part of it . 

This product itself was interesting and I wanted to learn more about it .

7 hours ago, Exhale said:

I am using it to treat my water currently, establishing a living soil bed, I can't attest to it working things seem to be growing as normal but one thing I have noticed is the treated water doesn't grow algae if left in a container in a lit place.

That's very interesting,  did you notice a change in the pH of the water ?

I was wondering what it was made of and it turns out it's just concentrated 

Vitamin c .

The active ingredient in Neutralise is concentrated Vitamin C, a totally safe ingredient for your soil and plants. When Neutralise is added to chlorinated water, the Vitamin C is rapidly oxidised by the chlorine and chloramine.

7 hours ago, cheesehunter said:

Yes

So you've seen the previous comments about neutralise?  

Oh I get it you want to get it out of your drinking water? I haven't actually tried the taste or ph chnages, its just vitamin c though so safe to drink id imagine. 

I do a bit of beer brewing sometimes and use campden tablets to treat my water before using it to brew. Half a crushed campden tablet will treat 20-30 litres of water and almost instantly removes chlorine and chloramine. A pack of 100 tablets will set you back 4-5 pound, wonder if it would be ok to feed the plant with campden treated water, would be a cheaper alternative to ecothrive neutralise.

Edited by highjokr
Added info
  • Like 2

One more time for those in the back.

There is absolutely no need to dechlorinate the water you irrigate your plants with :hippy:

@highjokr a quote from pub med  

"In the present study, the impact of sodium metabisulphite (Na2S2O5), a food preservative, on seed germination, growth and yield of Vigna sinensis, Savi has been evaluated. Observations clearly reveal the deleterious effect of Na2S2O5 on germination, stomatal development, stomatal index, chlorophyll content and yield. The shoot length exhibited a steady rise in length, while the biomass showed a gradual decrease with the increasing doses of Na2S2O5 ."  

Na2S2O5 is sodium metabisulphate aka campden tablets. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Exhale said:

And how does that bode for the soil life then? 

Algae growing in water left to sat shows exactly why using it doesn't inhibit microbial growth 

• Like 3

@blackpoolbouncer that's what I'd like to know I thought it was just Vitamin C to bind the chlorine/chloramine as per the blurb, I have tried looking online to see if there's any studies but my searches just bring back health products with some algae jazz.

Do we have any biochemists on the boards that know anything about Vitamin C inhibiting bacterial/microbial development?

As far as the pH adjustment goes it only takes it down 0.1 or so, not fussed about pH a whole lot.

13 hours ago, cheesehunter said:

I was wondering what it was made of and it turns out it's just concentrated 

Vitamin c .

The active ingredient in Neutralise is concentrated Vitamin C, a totally safe ingredient for your soil and plants. When Neutralise is added to chlorinated water, the Vitamin C is rapidly oxidised by the chlorine and chloramine.

1g of vitamin c powder  will do 455L of chlorinated water. A kilo of vitamin c can be got for about 14 quid off the bay.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MindSoup said:

One more time for those in the back.

There is absolutely no need to dechlorinate the water you irrigate your plants with :hippy:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

And how does that bode for the soil life then? 

Algae growing in water left to sat shows exactly why using it doesn't inhibit microbial growth 

Probably different metabolism, as they are different species. A couple of quotes off aquarium sites:

Benefits: 
> Builds up and strengthens the immune system. 
> Helps prevent bacterial infections from spreading rapidly.
> Aid healing in coral wounds
> Eliminates minor algae outbreaks
> Helps clean up the water
> Safe for use in all aquariums, including reefs (many other medications are not) 

"Hobbyists report that when using Vitamin C consistently, hair algae appear to vanish over a short period of time..."

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 2