New loft room in progress

plumbking

Hi.

I am new to the forum, thought I would start off with my new loft room that is in progress and not yet finished.  I am relatively inexperienced and haven't grown for a few years.  This is my first loft attempt so any feedback or tips are very welcome.

My first challenge was to remove the unused chimney breast which took up practically my full loft space (horrible messy job). I then safely secured the chimney stack which is brick tied into the double skin wall and supported with 3 large wooden beams until I can get a steel L bracket support made. it is solid and well supported.  Next I boarded the floor with 18mm flooring and started to build the room wall frame with 2x3 CLS wood, I have started putting 50mm celotex in the wall cavity and my plan is to put 75mm celotex between the roof timbers, fill all gaps with expanding, tape up all the joints with foil tape, and line the inside of the room with white reflective sheeting.

large.61f315d4bd534_preloft.jpeglarge.61f315d4324a1_preloft2.jpeg

This is as far as I have got up to now. the plan is to extract air from a bedroom cupboard below and vent my room out into the existing chimney stack in my roof which you will see in the pictures, (I was thinking 4 or 6 inch fan inlet - 6 or 8 inch fan outlet into chimney with a filter attached) ?? I will be running 4 x 600 lamps. also I am going to setup a water supply and a waste runoff system piped directly into the waste pipes in my house, so no need to be transporting water up and down.

large.61f315eb27e35_loft5comp.jpglarge.61f315f8b608b_loft6comp.jpglarge.61f315c9e87d9_loft1comp.jpglarge.61f315dbe2657_loft3comp.jpglarge.61f316028be3e_loft7comp.jpglarge.61f316084474f_loftcomp.jpg

I am left with a room 2.6 x 2.4 with varying height up to 2.4 high any tips feed back welcome as it is my first loft attempt.

Anyone got any experience with lofts?

Cheers 

• Like 9

good job :stoned:  but at least put some upright timber under that chimney till the bracket arrives! lol 

it’s freaking me out!

Edited by twigs
upright
  • Like 11

Welcome to the forum,  we love a nice new groom build around these parts. :)

And yeh, put some uprights in as twigs said ffs, ya  giving us all anxiety  lol

:yinyang:

• Like 6

Just now, HazyDaze said:

Welcome to the forum,  we love a nice new groom build around these parts. :)

And yeh, put some uprights in as twigs said ffs, ya  giving us all anxiety  lol

:yinyang:

Haha, it looks dodgy but it is actually ok. its tied into the wall and another chimney so the weight is spread out and its sturdy... got me thinking now though so I will get some uprights in asap  

• Like 5

I would put something on the top of chimmley outside to stop water running down as well mate looks good though also i would buy the best silent equipment you can eg fans etc i grow in my cellar and u can hear everything hope this helps

• Like 2

When you say 4 600's do you mean the traditional hid sort of lights? I don't know if you have them yet but you might be better to run less wattage and use led. Ok the initial cost will be more but you'll soon make the money back on what you save in electric. You need a good bit less wattage when using led over hid lighting to get the same sort of yields. The way electric prices are at the moment (and they'll get worse) it is something to give consideration.

You're going to need some hefty extraction too.

• Like 4

that chimney stack is unsupported. do you have any idea how much weifht is in it?

i know you say its supported, but youve taken the support out when you removed the chimney flue.

Any uprights, or those 2 or 3 bits of timber attached to the roof trusseswill fold like matchsticks if it comes down. it would also probably kill anyone living in the room below as thesethings have tons of brick in them. 

id call a structural engineer before you do any more damage. 

• Like 10

couple of frosty mornings..  bit of the old expansion/contraction (bendy chimney) and it’s all down.. double chimney too, don’t think i would want to stand under it and take photos lol 

that was a big lump of (end wall?) support you’ve taken away :unsure: single skin?

we’re just thinking out load dude :stoned:  

• Like 4

So just to let people know. I have some upright timbers underneath now as well for extra support. I have 2 large heavy duty gallows brackets on order for beggining of next week to support the full stack, which is what building control require to pass these off. The house is structurally sound. The chimney below was unused. 

I will post more progress pictures next week safety is no1 priority and it will all be done right.

Cheers guys

• Like 5

5 hours ago, KC said:

When you say 4 600's do you mean the traditional hid sort of lights? I don't know if you have them yet but you might be better to run less wattage and use led. Ok the initial cost will be more but you'll soon make the money back on what you save in electric. You need a good bit less wattage when using led over hid lighting to get the same sort of yields. The way electric prices are at the moment (and they'll get worse) it is something to give consideration.

You're going to need some hefty extraction too.

Yes I am thinking 600w hid lights tbh might have to adjust my budget what decent LED lights should be looking at ? Also I am planning to put in an infinity AC 8 inch fan and controller for extraction.

• Like 1

I can't really advise much on which one to buy as there are so many around now and I've only ever had one (hlg 650r).

It's probably the best purchase I've ever made, I'm smashing my yields and it's only using 630w as opposed to the 1000w I was running before. 

I was limited to board type leds as the pitched roof in the loft meant I couldn't have a big bar type light so just bear in mind when purchasing. 

• Like 1

Nice space man. Always interested in lofts and extracting out the chimney. Never actually seen the chimney part though so good to see your pics. 

leds will give you better coverage all around if you get the right one and less heat output. 

• Like 1

Your insulation is the same as I used for my shed, works a treat...:yep:

Bear in mind the fluctuating temps between summer and winter, recommend you draw your intake from inside the house in winter

and somewhere shady outside in summer, along with leds you should be able to keep things fairly stable.

It's worth having a word with site sponsor (Adam or Craig) to see what's the best light for your space, they'll do you a good deal

I've been using their lights for a few years and they're top notch.

Systemair fan with GAS controller, Carboair Filter ... it you're looking for something quiet, turned down mine's just about silent..

Good Luck

• Like 2

Little bit of progress made on the loft groom.

I will sleep better tonight now, 2 weight tested gallows brackets bolted to the wall to support the weight of the chimney. safety is paramount and don't want to cut any corners.

just the roof to insulate now then onto the next stage :skin_up:

large.61f99ff673f5a_gallows1.jpglarge.61f99ff98ef85_gallows5.jpglarge.61f9a03fc8d5e_gallows3.jpglarge.gallows.jpglarge.61f99ff7a9427_gallows2.jpg

• Like 5

you've got a lovely room there mate.

at a quick guess you would be looking at 4 x 660W Maxibright daylight pro LED's or 4 x 600W lumatek zeus pro LED fixtures. Or the LEDgrowlights site sponsor route.

As mentioned you want some quality extraction for 4 led lights in the loft.

mystic.