Bovedas 58 or 62%? Do you use them?

Gaijin

Morning folks,

I was looking at these bovedas, and seeing that for a more humid climate, they recommend the 58% packs, and for drier climates, the 62% packs. I guess I don't understand humidity properly. I'm not sure. The 58% pack; wouldn't it keep the interior of the jar at 58% rh, regardless of the humidity in the local climate? What am I missing here? 

Would you recommend them, or similar? Or not?

Grove bags? 

Or is this all newish unproven tech and nothing beats a paper bag and a kilner? 

• Like 1

I've used 58% and they work fine. But really you only need to dry and cure weed properly using a bags n kilner.

I use them as fail safe and have one in my rolling plastic tub which I decant my weed into from jars for my evening roll. Save going to from the shed etc.

Makes like easier for noobs drying but you will lose some flavour. Eto. Give em a go and run both with and without, make your own mind up. 

• Like 1

Hey @Gaijin, you look kind of cute in that new latex number your strutting your stuff in lol

The RH in the jar, where your flowers live is your desired range.

If your local humidity is high (wet) every time you opened the jar it would raise the RH in the jar, just closing the jar then would trap that extra moisture in, the packs regulate the RH back to desired levels. The opposite occurs if your in a lower (dry) RH climate.

Never used them but I have been looking

• Like 2

I keep my jars in a coolbox and have the bovedas in the box. Ime 62-64% is ideal for pressing flower, 58% is best or smoking and even drier is good if I use my nebula boost for edibles (stops the lid blowing off) :yep:

• Like 3

@growinggold Ahhh so there may be some flavour loss. I would, as you suggest, try these and other options at the same time to see which works best for me. :yep:  

@Head Rose'n'Tail  :wub: enough to make a lady blush lol   Gotcha :yep:  Opening the jars is the issue at hand here 

• Like 1

Just now, Flamedodger said:

I keep my jars in a coolbox and have the bovedas in the box. Ime 62-64% is ideal for pressing flower, 58% is best or smoking and even drier is good if I use my nebula boost for edibles (stops the lid blowing off) :yep:

I will later this year be investing in a press, so that's interesting to know :yep:  Lower for smoking. Makes sense 

Yeh, the moisture getting in/out of the storage vessel depending on the time it's stored for seemed to be the general use for them, cigar buffs use them.

I believe some people do throw their few day dried flowers into plastic boxes with these packs to finish them off!

If I were to use them I think the 62 ones would be used for long term that wouldn't be disturbed, maybe even an 8g one in a jar with a zip then the 1g 58 ones for holding your daily Henry. 

• Like 1

You want a few little hygrometers, size that'll fit in a jar.  They'll help you to learn what dried bud feels like and eventually you won't need them. 

Boveda packs are for fuck ups, but even then, unnecessary.  If you jar weed and it reads over 62rh, open the jar or decant, depending on the number. 

If you jar too late add a few fresh leaves (the bonus of having a veg tent, you can add the actual leaf of the plant growing if you're lucky). 

A few dried leaves will raise the humidity from 50 - 70 in less than 24hrs and you'll be adding smell.  It's free too. 

Bovida packs will take an age to raise the humidity, will suck out terps and flavour and cost money. 

You do the math... 

Another thing - fuck paper bags.  If you're drying a fair bit, hang whole then whack buds into shoe boxes with a grow meter.  When it hits 60rh, jar up. 

Eta - if you struggle hitting ten days on your dry, using shoe boxes can gain you 4+ days. 

Edited by fatboy77

@fatboy77 yes, I see what you are saying - if you're paying attention, you'll learn how to not need such things. I didn't realise until today that they absorb terps/flavour.

Just my opinion, but I tend to disagree that they necessarily suck away terps significantly, as I did a single side by side test over 6 months and noticed no difference.  The Boveda pack did smell of the weed a little, so a little must have been absorbed, but not enough to notice in the weed itself. However, I guess the point of the test for me was, there was no difference.  As long as you get your crop close to 62% RH before jarring and burp properly, there's little need for Bovedas. So why run the risk?

It may be because I store the harvest in large kilners and take a portion to a small kilner for regular opening.  I take some from the smaller jar and store that for daily use in film canisters. That way, once the crop is dried and cured, the majority of the crop rarely gets exposed to air.  The smaller jar only gets opened every week or so.  The film cannister daily.

After a year, I am still at 61% (down from 62%) in my long term jars & smaller jar.  If I were keeping it longer than a year, I might be tempted to slip in a Boveda, but I think it is wise to do so in a storage space where the Boveda pack does not physically touch the weed, such as those fancy CVAULT containers that hold a Boveda in the lid.

As I say, just my opinion and that's based on a single test.

• Like 2

Ive been drying and curing buds for over 25 years and never once had to add anything other than bud to a jar

Dry it properly to start with and there's absolutely no need to use anything other than an airtight jar to store it in

Owd

• Like 14

I've not seen that, it doesn't appear to be a Boveda thing? I'm not convinced that every product sold is necessary anyway.  As I say, I tested it, it didn't make a difference to me. What has made a difference to me is overdrying / drying too quickly. Bovedas seemed to make no difference to longevity within 12 months, or to terp levels. I didn't use scientific apparatus to test it mind, just my nose and eyes.

I decided that they weren't necessary, but that they didn't hurt if they weren't in contact with the flowers.  I'd be more tempted by Grove bags than Bovedas, if there was a straight forward and affordable supply chain to buy them in the UK as that seems more inert still, but you know...  We all have our own takes after using them.

Edited by MidgeSmith
  • Like 1

Just now, Owderb said:

Ive been drying and curing buds for over 25 years and never once had to add anything other than bud to a jar

Dry it properly to start with and there's absolutely no need to use anything other than an airtight jar to store it in

Owd

Yeah. Keep (de)hydration solutions for times of incident, rather than routine and you'll never be disappointed.

• Like 2