QWISO Trim gunk - dilute with mct? advice please.

Newcouch

You can see from the graph that if you don't get the most efficient temp, you will limit the amount decarbed and, hence, the strength of the final effect. Don't assume the temp of your weed is the same as your oven. You want to measure the weed's surface temperature, not the air temperature. My IR thermometer was about £20 iirc. Hope that all makes sense.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 1

@catweazle1 never thought a frying pan would get that hot, but makes sense as you can boil water in there lol  

I can imagine the though! I get the bud having to reach temp rather than air. Reason I do the pressure cook for an hour. I seen some threads on FC which go quite in depth about the instant pot, I did a quick read and that’s where I got the hour. I put it in a canning jar in. The instant pot. Put it on top of the little wire metal tray then wrap it in foil so it doesn’t float. Then add water till about half way up the jar. There may be better ways than using foil but having thought of it yet using what I have. 

I may have to do the decarb for longer to get the bud to higher temps. Will do a run soon and make some comparisons on time. Also wary of over cooking and converting to unwanted cannabinoids. 

IR thermometer is a good idea, I can’t use it in an instant pot though. However just checked and the canning jar can be used in the oven so going to try oven method too next round. Can compare that with the instant pot. I think the general consensus is the instant pot works just as well, but there’s a lot of variables regarding the time, what you put your bud in, how much water you put in, how much bud you put in. Environment pressure? May have made the last one up. 

• Like 2

@B0bbyBuds The time variable for the buds surface temperature reaching 120c is what needs to be got passed before actual efficient decarbing commences. That's why you need an IR thermometer on the warming bud. Try putting your bud in the pot or a tray open in the preheated oven and zap the bud occasionally with the thermometer until it reaches 120c, then cook it for 30 minutes... adjust the oven temp up or down as the thermometer dictates... not the oven knob setting. You can then powder some of that bud between your fingers into whatever you desire. Consuming all the bud, bits and all,  is stronger than simmering it in milk for 30 minutes, say, and straining the bits out before drinking, but it does work in a softer way. Something for you to have a go at maybe one day. 

E2A If the pot with the weed in is in water in the method you use, it will never go over 100c, because the boiling point of water stops it rising beyond that. Any water needs to be got rid of and any volatiles in the bud with a bp lower than 120c. Pressure cooking might work but you would have to  cook and test eat batches until you find the right time, which is a bit haphazard and long-winded....you would be preserving more cannabinoids besides thc if broad spectrum medical value is the aim though.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, Graywolf said:

You can also decarboxylate the oil after extraction:

I accidentally added a load of avb to oil before I decarbed it. I didn’t know what to do so just pressure cooker it for 4 hours lol  Seems like I wasn’t too far off. Apparently pressure cooker is around 115. 

• Like 2

@Graywolf Super stuff on your page. Didn't know the exact chemistry. My experience and method has been pretty much empirically acquired, and also making use of that temperature vs time conversion graph you have . I got it from another site. Interesting to know that the effect is more soporific with increasing time. I did interpret the fall in the graph as degradation, rather than a slower rate of conversion of THCa.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 2

On 29/01/2022 at 10:54 AM, KC said:

Well is 18 hours now so how did it go? :eat:

i dont think it did anything, but it was having a lot of competition from cider and bourbon.

will try double the dose this evening and try to avoid so much alcohol!

tastes nice though!

OK, now that i have finally had a bash at it without any other confunding factors, i cn confirm it is working very well indeed. definitely comparable to my adven t20 oil (2%)

Cant complain for some left over trim.

will definitely try again.

• Like 4