QWISO Trim gunk - dilute with mct? advice please.

Newcouch

Hi,

So, a little while back i did my first attempt at QWISO using some fairly high quality trim i suppose - mainly sugar leaves and popcorn - is that good?

Anyhow, the evap was a bit weird and i ended up with the bottom of a pirex dish covered in goo, which i stanley knifed off and managed to scrape into a little black snake and stick in a jar.

Its more a liquid solid than anything else. it was hard and sticky, but since has kind of spread out a little and then solidified. it is a bit brittle too - i can break little lumps off it.

I haven treally use dit - i tried ot vape it and it just gummed everything up and made a right mess - i dont have a dab kit.

Anyhow - i was imaging that if i de carboxylated it - 130 degrees for 30 minutes in the oven and let it cool a little, i could dissolve this hunk in a little MCT so i get about 10ml of oil to use sub lingually.

I can work out the strenght and dosaeage through areful trial and error. I know sub lingual takes 2 hrs to hit me.

If this works it could be my goto for discrete travelling. I am medically legal, but vaping flower is still a bit overt in some situations, whereas a small bottle and dropper....

Does this sound sensible or are there other ideas?

Dabbing isnt really practical...

Cheers.

Newc

• Like 6

Sounds like a fair plan that dude.

A couple of years ago a rep buddy gave me a ¼ (might have been more) of questionable BHO he'd been given by some brizzle lads in an attempt to get something useable out of it , it absolutely wasn't smoke/dabbable (?!) As it was primo butane soup (I know it's a completely different issue but I reckon it's not too far removed).

After a decarb we both agreed it was a different animal all together once purged properly and into edibles it went , ruinous they were too.

Far less enjoyable buzz than my own hash rosin treats but I think that was mostly butane paranoia lol

In all honesty though put in the same situation again I'd have binned it because I don't know how it was made, aside from badly.

My own product I'm a lot more comfortable ingesting if it doesn't look bang on because even if I've fucked it up I know I've not fucked around with it if that makes sense??

:yinyang:

• Like 3

Concentrates extracted with a polar solvent like alcohol, do not completely dissolve in a non-polar solvent like MCT oil.  It will contain non-solubles that are not tasty.   Consider putting it in caps or just swallowing chunks.

• Like 8

Thanks @graywolf; honoured to have your input.

unfortunately the dirty deed was underway before you posted and has just finished.

Put about 30ml of mct oil on top of the goo and put in oven at 130 deg C.

After 10 minutes, goo had spread a little under oil, oil colour unchanged, lots of bubbles.

stirred. went dark.  Turned temp down to about 110, left another 20 minutes, bubblles almost finished.  now in oven cooling with door closed.

from what i can see, i will get a dark, slightly gritty oil. probably more or less as you suggest!

Newc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Graywolf said:

Concentrates extracted with a polar solvent like alcohol, do not completely dissolve in a non-polar solvent like MCT oil

Are the insoluble parts due to left over alcohol or the alcohol extraction has changed the cannabinoids? 

was hoping to do some alcohol extraction to make mct oil :bangin:

23 hours ago, B0bbyBuds said:

Are the insoluble parts due to left over alcohol or the alcohol extraction has changed the cannabinoids? 

was hoping to do some alcohol extraction to make mct oil :bangin:

The polar alcohol extracts components that are insoluble in non polar solvents. 

• Like 2

i will let you know about potentcy. presently taking it very carefully.......problem is the 1 hr 40 wait......16 minutes down....

i have dark solution with stuff in it - a mix of a solution and a suspension perhaps....

Edited by Newcouch
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KC said:

Well is 18 hours now so how did it go? :eat:

i dont think it did anything, but it was having a lot of competition from cider and bourbon.

will try double the dose this evening and try to avoid so much alcohol!

tastes nice though!

• Like 1

1 hour 40 minutes to act seems a long time. I decarb my bud for 30 minutes at 110-120c, microwave some of it finely ground in milk with a bit of butter for 30 minutes to make a hot chocolate. I feel it coming on in 15-20minutes... lasts 3-4 hours. 

20 minutes ago, catweazle1 said:

15-20minutes

Wow that’s quick man! It takes me a few hours to kick in too. I pressure cook in an instant pot for 1hr to decarb then 40 mins with oil. 

1 hour ago, B0bbyBuds said:

Wow that’s quick man! It takes me a few hours to kick in too. I pressure cook in an instant pot for 1hr to decarb then 40 mins with oil. 

My method is somewhat unconventional. Having no oven, I used a camping gas stove and enamelled frying pan (not Teflon) with a glass lid. I put weed in a foil cake cup (Mr Kipling!) slightly raised off the bottom with another bit of folded foil to avoid direct heat.

To start, I put nothing in and get the frying pan hot, testing with an infra red thermometer til it goes goes over 100c on the lid. I then turn the gas down to a more gentle heat and put the weed in and place the lid. Every few minutes I lift the lid and measure the surface temp of the weed. adjusting the gas flow. It could take up to 30 minutes for the temp to read 120c, whilst lower boiling point stuff evaporates. This is because the moisture and other volatiles must evaporate from the weed in order to reach that temp, which I then leave at 120c for 30 minutes... it's a smelly job. When I started, the temp swings were pretty wide, but, with practice, I have it down to + or - 5c. I've done this many times and is purely  intuitive to me now... and I have a very brown frying pan! I just do a few grams now to keep the smell tolerable when decarbing.

I'm not expecting you to do this method, it is very hands on and a bit risky,  but wanted to share what I learned, and hope you can see the principle that you can try and replicate, however you do it.

When you decarb weed, there are volatiles in it and water that you must boil off first, otherwise you are just heating the weed to the boiling point of water, and (105c is the minimum to decarb) volatiles around that temperature... that is why, your decarbed weed is so slow to act because you haven't converted enough of the thc to an easily absorbable form  by cooking it at the TRUE temperature for long enough.  An IR thermometer is essential because everyones weed is different in moisture and volatiles, so there can be no standard time for everyone to decarb because of the need to boil off the water and volatiles first.

The overarching principle when decarbing is to make sure your weed is ACTUALLY at the target temperature before you start counting down the time. I would do that in the oven before doing it in oil or making edibles. When you do it in oil, you still need to make to make sure it doesn't go over your target decarb temp. Over 150c will evaporate the thc. 

Heres a graph showing temp vs  time needed to convert thc. I tried over 130c but it's easy to fuck up if your temperature isn't really stable. 120-125cc for 30 minutes gets very good results for me. The feeling is more intense and physically relaxing with my indica types this way.

large.decarboxylation-cannabis-temperature-chart-thc.jpeg

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 6