Micro Scrog

Crow River

Staggered lights off isn't something I'd try myself.
We know plants are triggered to sleep with a signal based on the Pr to Pfr ratio, something we don't provide under lights, so it takes around 30 minutes for plants to work it out based simply on darkness before they begin with their night time activities. 
That's 30 minutes of production lost.
Ed Rosenthal did a great article on the effects of using proper signalling and he was able to improve his harvests through the use of specific lights to put his plants to sleep immediately at the end of lights on.
Using multiple lights off events in a day without the proper trigger to make the plants sleep immediately would just waste 1 hour or more of every 24 hour cycle IMHO.
If that's what you have to do to keep the environment in check then I don't think it would have any other negative effects but that one alone would put me off trying.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update. I am trying the standard ScrOG technique right now, and it seems to be working so far. :) 

I've also been doing some research into vertical ScrOG techniques. I have a hankering to try a "box of green" in a small tent. The idea is to maximise usage of the wall space given that the actual footprint is quite small (50x50). In particular I've been looking at @zztopbudz past grows for inspiration, also some US growers. Rather than MH/HPS bulbs, I'm looking into LED corn cob bulbs and hanging/mounting them vertically in the tent, topped up with a conventional "full spectrum" LED above during flower.

So I'm wondering if a vertical style grow like "box of green" will work with one plant? Maybe I'd need to veg for a bit longer to fill out the screen before flipping to 12/12.

Anyone done a vertical grow? What about in a small "micro" space?

I have done a few verticle grows in a small space - it was the only way to get g/w out of a 250w hps in the space i had.  Was hard work trying to get to the back and train the plants so not to get burnt.  I think a scrog under leds is less work and yields more - you can pack buds in more densly than people realise and wont have space for any verticle led fittings.

gallery_40306_4554_112204.jpggallery_40306_4554_94129.jpggallery_40306_4554_27772.jpg

• Like 3

@highgrower wow I like the look of that! More of a "cylinder of green" that one. :) I suppose it's good for keeping the plants close in to the lamp, whereas a "box of green" will have different light distribution in the corners.

So do you reckon you prefer a horizontal ScrOG then? I suppose it works better in a 'drobe grow. It's just I am going to be largely moving to tents in future, and I will have height but not a huge horizontal footprint. Hence thinking about vertical grows as an option...

Edited by Crow River

• 2 months later...

Just a wee update. I now have three horizontal ScrOGs under my belt, all with auto strains. It's certainly a very successful technique for maximising yield in a given space.

For my next grow I'll be tackling photo strains. Also I'm going to experiment with vertical growing alongside a horizontal grow. In addition I'll be trying out the Gas Lantern Routine for veg, really in an attempt to see if there might be some energy savings and whether it will work for me.

I'll be documenting both grows at the link below in case anyone is interested.