Micro Scrog

Crow River

I'd do at least two plants in that amount of compost in that type of setup as the veg time will be shorter.

Are you going to fit the new light for your current run?

• Like 1

If you can water everyday then you could get away with 6.5L pots. I'd say 12l is overkill in such a small space.

I'd choose a pot that fits the space tho, washing up bowls for example so you're not loosing headroom to the pot. Also I'd prob let the photo period grow, top it and lst it then wak a screen on. Flip to 12/12 when the screens half full to be safe and take clones so you can run the strain again if you like it. Then you'll be able to tell how its going to behave better the second time round. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, inceywinceyspider said:

I'd do at least two plants in that amount of compost in that type of setup as the veg time will be shorter.

Are you going to fit the new light for your current run?

Interesting. I'm using 11 litre pots for the next run of autos, but I've done it in smaller, I think either 5.5 or 7.5 litres. This run will be my final one with the current lighting most probably. I'm trying to get a grow under the belt without some of the overfeeding issues I had previously... :) Also trying out different soil mix.

So the spring/summer run would be with the new lighting setup. Then autumn for the scrog grow, once I've got used to the new gadget. I could maybe see two plants side by side, but that would mean opening up a pack of subbie seeds, in order to have the same strain on the frame. I'm not sure I've really got the space for two plants unless the veg time is quite brief?

2 hours ago, Mackie said:

If you can water everyday then you could get away with 6.5L pots. I'd say 12l is overkill in such a small space.

I'd choose a pot that fits the space tho, washing up bowls for example so you're not loosing headroom to the pot. Also I'd prob let the photo period grow, top it and lst it then wak a screen on. Flip to 12/12 when the screens half full to be safe and take clones so you can run the strain again if you like it. Then you'll be able to tell how its going to behave better the second time round. 

I'm using Blumats (standard XXL size, not the dripper system) plus hand watering once a week or so to make sure soil is not too dry. This is mainly because I got fed up of having to water every day when I used smaller pots on the earlier grows. :D 

Yes washing up bowl helps to cut down height a fair bit, gain about 10cm headroom which is a lot in my space. I used a 12 litre (approx) bowl in the last grow, fits the floor footprint nicely with a couple of milk bottles either side acting as reservoirs.

As for clones, it's a great idea but then I'd need a different scale of operation. While I have a propagation setup on top of my cabinet it's quite basic and not really a veg cabinet. I'd need more lights, air circulation, extraction.....maybe it's worth thinking about but I'm not sure I have the room. :( 

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Crow River said:

I'm using Blumats (standard XXL size, not the dripper system) plus hand watering once a week or so to make sure soil is not too dry. This is mainly because I got fed up of having to water every day when I used smaller pots on the earlier grows. :D 

Yes washing up bowl helps to cut down height a fair bit, gain about 10cm headroom which is a lot in my space. I used a 12 litre (approx) bowl in the last grow, fits the floor footprint nicely with a couple of milk bottles either side acting as reservoirs.

As for clones, it's a great idea but then I'd need a different scale of operation. While I have a propagation setup on top of my cabinet it's quite basic and not really a veg cabinet. I'd need more lights, air circulation, extraction.....maybe it's worth thinking about but I'm not sure I have the room. :( 

You'd be surprised how easy it is to keep a clone happy for 9 weeks while you flower your last plant. But yep I totally understand.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mackie said:

You'd be surprised how easy it is to keep a clone happy for 9 weeks while you flower your last plant. But yep I totally understand.

I'm sure you're right. Just not sure I have the space. Also I would then be committed to another grow of the same strain immediately afterwards. Could be a problem as I dry in the cabinet too. So add another 10 days on top...

Anyway I've got time to think about it! :) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Crow River said:

Interesting. I'm using 11 litre pots for the next run of autos, but I've done it in smaller, I think either 5.5 or 7.5 litres. This run will be my final one with the current lighting most probably. I'm trying to get a grow under the belt without some of the overfeeding issues I had previously... :) Also trying out different soil mix.

So the spring/summer run would be with the new lighting setup. Then autumn for the scrog grow, once I've got used to the new gadget. I could maybe see two plants side by side, but that would mean opening up a pack of subbie seeds, in order to have the same strain on the frame. I'm not sure I've really got the space for two plants unless the veg time is quite brief?

Aye, dont do two plants unless they're both feminised and from a good seed bank.

You could consider what they call a modular scrog where the screen is attached to the pot rather than the grow room walls so you can take it out and get some great bud shots.

Oh clones in fridge.

Edited by inceywinceyspider
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, inceywinceyspider said:

Aye, dont do two plants unless they're both feminised and from a good seed bank.

You could consider what they call a modular scrog where the screen is attached to the pot rather than the grow room walls so you can take it out and get some great bud shots.

Oh clones in fridge.

I was lucky enough to get some feminised seeds for my subbies. Sweet Seeds both - Green Poison and Snow Fruit. So they would fit the bill.

I've seen these single pot scrog kits on fleaBay, I suppose it could be an option if I was doing more than one plant per grow. I was thinking to maybe build a scrog frame that I could use to dry the plant after harvest. Make it so I can remove the frame and flip it upside down after chopping the main stem...

That's an interesting one about keeping clones/cuttings in the fridge - just reading up on it. Not sure the other half will be keen TBH! If needs must though... :D

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Following a recent delivery I now have a few different options for photoperiod strains I could try out for this grow. 

Peyote Critical (Barney's Farm)

Green Crack (Humboldt)

Green Poison (Sweet Seeds)

Snow Fruit (Sweet Seeds)

Dr Lemon (Dr Ray)

Turbo Tangie (Rapid Genetics)

Jon Snow (Cali Seeds)

Northern Lights (Silver Leaf)

White Widow (Silver Leaf)

Gorilla Zkittlez (Silver Leaf)

Some of these are Sativa dominant, and will probably be tricky to keep short enough in my small grow space, even with topping, training to the mesh, etc. So realistically for my first attempt I'm probably looking at one of the following which have more Indica genetics:

Northern Lights

White Widow

Gorilla Zkittlez

Jon Snow

Snow Fruit

Green Poison

Peyote Critical

I've plenty of time to decide. If anyone has grown any of these strains (possibly from different breeder or seedbank, please feel free to share your experience or views.

NL has been the mainstay of my grows for over a decade. Vey easy to grow, clone and reveg, combined with ridiculously generous yields.

They stay low and flower quickly so ideal for restricted spaces.

If you need something to survive and possibly thrive while the environmentals are still being dialled in then that would be a good candidate.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

So while my current grows are vegging, I'm looking ahead to the photo grow mini SCROG in August/September. Reckon I'll have my lights and environment dialled in by then. I've decided to do a single plant, most likely Northern Lights.

My question is about veg time in a small space. Already some great advice from @v12xjs, @Mikie, @BilgePump, @inceywinceyspider, thanks folks! :)

Am I looking at a really short veg, or do I just wait until the screen has hit a certain % full?  I suppose if I top a few times that could be a moveable feast...

You may feel you've already answered this, in which case no problem. If anyone has some additional insights into vegging photos in small spaces, I'd very much welcome your comments. 

• Like 2

I have a question on lighting schedules for veg. 

For my past and current grows, I've used a range of different schedules: 18/6, 20/4 and 24/0. I've pretty much settled on 20/4 for growing auto flowers in my wee cabinet, as it seems to be able to deliver the required DLI without needing the lights on maximum intensity (PPFD) when plants are at their tallest. In a height restricted space, this is important to avoid light stress and burn.

For photos I had intended on vegging at 20/4 before flipping to 12/12 for flower. However I've been reading up on some alternative schedules for both veg and flower, and wandered if any of these might suit my squat space?

For veg, I've been reading about Gas Lantern Schedule (or Gas Lantern Routine), i.e. 
12 hours ON
5.5 hours OFF
1 hour ON
5.5 hours OFF

Until flip to flower. 

Also I've seen 6/2 schedule mentioned as an alternative to 18/6. I suppose 5/1 could work also as the equivalent of 20/4?

One benefit of GLS/GLR is supposed to be shorter internal spacing, producing less stretch and shorter, bushier plants. Also there's a significant energy saving per day, even if the lights are boosted to ensure DLI is met. Finally the grow space would stay cooler during summer grows, or grows done in a centrally heated room. That could be beneficial as my wee cabinet is getting quite warm with the new light on full power.

6/2 produces a cooling effect, but no energy saving. But maybe there are benefits to plant development?

Finally, there are alternative flowering schedules eg. Diminishing Light Schedule, and just constant 11/13. Each of those would produce energy savings, and keep the cabinet slightly cooler. Possibly there might be reduced stretch also?

I'm quite willing to experiment with the lighting arrangements, especially if they might be better suited to my small space than the more established schedules

Does anyone here have experience of running any of these lighting schedules at either veg or flower stages? Were there any benefits beyond energy savings and cooler temperatures? What were the negative points?

Did a bit of reading up on the GLR lighting for veg, and 11/13 for flower. Think I will try it. However I'll need to make sure I have nice even illumination using GLR, to avoid inducing flower early. I noticed during my last grow I had a bit of shade at the back of the cabinet, so reckon I may need to install some supplementary lighting there. Couple of household LED bulbs may be sufficient, and won't add much heat.