Alien 55L square buckets

Dsmile

Anyone know what search term to use or where to find cheaper buckets like these? I like the volume and footprint, think I might just try and mirror the alien grow with 4" pipe if I can find these.

Really useful boxes.....extra strong black.....They will only take a 110mm bulk connector on two sides on the 63ltr and above boxes.

You will have to make the pipework yourself as the alien built pipe is slightly tapered to fit its slightly tapered buckets......the 'RUB' are dead straight.

(As I discovered recently)

It will be a lot cheaper to drop the size down from 4 inch and a lot easier to get the other parts needed......Unless you intend to 'flume' or Venturi.....in which case go for it.

Complete drain outs are dam near impossible and I would consider adaptions to each pot to drain the entire system correctly and easily.

(Search: Hydra unlimited and CCH20 for inspiration :yep:)

Other than that if you want an alien like bucket search for a 'square plastic bin with a lid'    lollollol 

Or try Ikea SORTERA style buckets and go @badbillybob style :yep:

• Like 3

The sorteras were actually my original plan for the next build, was using 3 as dustbins and found them too big and had the idea. Not tried filling them up with water yet but worried they'd have the risk of toppling over, I have the 90L ones. How are yours @badbillybob? Do they need securing?

I thought maybe the slopped front would make them easily off balanced, if they're stable i'll probably just use them with gravity circulation pipes at the bottom and I might try top feeding from the chiller this time, think there's any benefit to top feeding vs  back to the main bucket? My concern is is being more prone a leak using 6mm tubing, only using a 1000L ph pump for my chiller so not the strongest return for 6 pots.

@QQ710 Yeah I had a look there, the appeal with the sortera or the alien style buckets is the volume and the smaller surface area compared to usual boxes, if the sortera are stable enough without needing securing i'll use them, otherwise i'll be using the 45L WHAM ones.

I was going to upgrade my pipe size but tbh i've not had any problems and if I use something with more height they'll be even less risk of blockages. @badbillybob What size water pump and return line are you using?

Just now, Dsmile said:

otherwise i'll be using the 45L WHAM ones

Had to smooth/shave the sides of the wham boxes around the cut holes to stop the tank connectors leaking.

They're working a treat - photos below from ages ago, they don't look that clean and tidy now.

large.5f9609b211c4e_102Nomoreleaks.jpg

large.5f8c85b0e7514_84Bloomroom.jpg

I bought some Ikea ones and although they are very practical, usable and great value (I especially like the flip-up front lid), I think they're a bit flimsy and let in too much light so I didn't use them.

:yinyang:

• Like 1

I have literally just replaced the alien header pot with a 'wham box' @QQ710 lollollol 

It was a little scary cutting the 127mm hole to get a 110mm threaded connector through it at exactly the right height.....The fun continued as I added the component parts but despite by hamfistedness..... I seem to have somehow managed to get them in exactly the right places.

The wham box has the same slope as the alien header so fits lovely....(do a light test with any box you intend to use or cover them properly !)

(And yes....I do have a really useful box with a lovely cut hole in just right place as well sat about doing fuck all....this is how I discovered how straight the sides are and how angled alien 4inch pre made manifolds are lollollol )

• Like 2

Never realised how much light the sorteras let in until under strong lighting, it's not loads but i think enough to put me off the idea, can't be bothered with painting them. I'll go with the Whams and 2" holes. 

I really like some of these alien systems, especially the vortex ones, a lot of money though 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Dsmile said:

Looks great, can you completely empty your system with it raised off the ground?

Not completely - I have to sponge out an inch or so of water from each tote.

I added a T and stop-cocks after the pump and before the chiller - one way recirculating the res via the chiller and the other way goes out to the drain - so I open one stop-cock and close the other depending on where I want the water to go.

It's far from perfect system but has been plenty good enough over this last year of growing and cost peanuts compared to an Alien set up or the likes - I DO want an Alien set though :)  the fancy venturi one would be nice, hey!

I'd definitely use larger pipework or add 2x 40mm waste pipes if building again - found some pineapple haze roots all the way into the next tote on the last grow, nearly blocked the run, pipe blockages do worry me a bit!

11 hours ago, zen-ken said:

I have literally just replaced the alien header pot with a 'wham box'

Nice1 @zen-ken 

Glad to hear your new Alien set up is coming together - can't wait to see it producing trees :)

• Like 2

@QQ710 I ordered the 92L's for the extra 20cm height, they;ve got the same footprint at the 60L's im using now but look much stronger. I'll be using bulkhead/cableglands for peace of mind, being on a second floor can't risk 400L coming through the ceiling lol , not that i'm saying uniseals are prone to leaking, just I heard more so than glands.

Got a newa 1700L pump coming and going to try fallponics with a 3/4"-1" feed line from the chiller, I hope the pump will be powerful enough to full 6 pots through that diameter. 

Still scratching my head about the circulation pipes though, with the extra height I could continue to use my current 1" pipes which haven't blocked yet:lucky: but I was thinking about changing them to 2" or 3". problem is the bulkheads and pipe like my current are expensive.

Maybe I can use threaded pond connectors in the boxes and solvent weld corrugated pipe to the outside of connector. 

Any suggestions?

• Like 1

Sorry mate - can't really offer any suggestions as I can't quite picture your design.

If I was building a RDWC again I'd probably use the 4"/110mm flanged tank connectors and bottom drains that are sold for carp ponds, pricey though.

Cheapest and best stock I found online was from a company called Eco-Filtration.

Please let us know how you get on building you system.

Good luck

• Like 1