Curing - best practice/check my working

JimmyPage

I hang the plants whole upside down, first 3 days at 50%rh they up it to 60%rh for the remaining 11 days @16-18c the whole time once dry I put in the jars and wait two weeks before having a sneaky sample lol

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Military Grade said:

they up it to 60%rh for the remaining 11 days

your brave, i would like it lower for sure

Edited by ratdog
  • Like 3

I'm struggling a little with this whole process mainly because my extractor fan isn't adjustable (but essential) and therefore i feel my harvest is drying too quickly. 

• Like 2

I did whole plant drying for 28 days @60% RH and to be honest, it smoked fine but I don't think it made much difference over 14-21 days drying @55% just more risk of fucking it up. I still needed to cure it and it took another 3-4 weeks anyway. This was only my second harvest so it's all a bit new and harvesting/drying/curing is the bit you don't get anywhere near enough practice with imho.

Next time I'm going for 16 days at 58% bucking then going to jars/bags depending on the buds. I've even bought a moisture meter so I can stab check the buds and see when they are down to 10% moisture and safe to jar.

• Like 1

@5Lip That will definitely dry it too fast, depending on the size of your harvest it may well be worth checking out a solution to that as buying a speed controller might be cheaper than having a lot of dried-too-fast herb.

A second tent for drying is one way to do it and just connect it to your main tent with ducting. You can stuff the ducting to slow the flow from the drying tent and you get to keep using your main tent which is handy if they finish at different times.

If your harvest is smaller then a cardboard box - again connected to your main tent.

Or some large plastic tubs to put the buds in to slow them drying if you can't get your extraction speed(s) lowered.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ratdog said:

your brave, i would like it lower for sure

It's what i have read and been advised to do on this site by the veteran's lol , i like a proper two week drying, then my buds sit at about 58-60% when i first jar them up so they can cure properly:yep:

• Like 1

Just now, Military Grade said:

It's what i have read and been advised to do on this site by the veteran's lol

ah, the veterans lol

i prefer lower that 50% myself tbh and my bud cures properly :yep:

• Like 2

I aint got a clue what my humidity is...nor my temps actually lol

I have it drying in a 1.2 x 1.2 with a 5 inch rhino on low (which still sucks the sides in) and in the bottom of the tent an oil filled rad set a couple of clicks back from lights on temps lol

Full plants with most the leaves on take between a week to ten days.

Dry trim into carrier bags( lol ) about half full each.

It's just how ive developed into doing it and my weed is the shizzle!!!

THIS IS NOT A HOW TO...ITS A HOW I DO

• Like 5

4 hours ago, 5Lip said:

I'm struggling a little with this whole process mainly because my extractor fan isn't adjustable (but essential) and therefore i feel my harvest is drying too quickly. 

It's good you've identified the problem, now get to the site sponsors and bag yourself some AC Infinity gear, you'll be so glad you did, especially the Controller67 if you can afford it. :yep:

• Like 2

just saying......

I dry in my exhaust corridor; temps go from 20c-28c rh 50-75 :eek:

plants are hung whole but I remove as many fans as possible before hanging (i believe the chloroform in the leaves is what leaches the hay smell into weed) 

it can be final trim dry in around 6-10 days depending on the size and structure of the plant; if its nearer to 6 then I'll chop into large airtight tubs to slow them down, opening every other day till done.

never had any complaints about the flavour/smell of my weed.....and plenty have tried it:naughty:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, buddy13 said:

plants are hung whole but I remove as many fans as possible before hanging (i believe the chloroform in the leaves is what leaches the hay smell into weed) 

If my leaves had chloroform in them i want to remove them also lol (sorry @buddy13 I just couldn't resist!!)

• Like 4

19 hours ago, DeltaMelter said:

some large plastic tubs to put the buds in

I got ripped to fuck for this suggestion

mystic

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mysticriver said:

I got ripped to fuck for this suggestion

by the veterans no doubt :rofl::rofl:

of course drying is different to curing........

I find fruity numbers are best straight after drying but sats/hazes  get better with a cure as time goes on....