Beginner looking for tips

Mission Sunset

Hi i am totally new to all this so go easy on me, also im not really clued up with the lingo but i notice there is a dictionary in a different part of the forum.

This is a rundown of what i have

Tent 80x80x180cm

LED lamp 600w

Coco perlite mix

4in extractor fan

3 litre pots (currently using)

12 litre pots (to transfer to)

A whole cycles worth of nutrients (Hornet)

Growing Northern Lights x 3

I have just started week two of vegitation and the plants look healthy, but im worried about a couple of things, i do not have a humidifier and my heating comes from storage heaters which can make the air dry. Im contantly have wet towels hanging up to try and improve the humidity (not in the tent). I was putting large bowls of hot water directly into the tent but it made an odd smell come out of the ventilation pipe. Is there better work arounds until i can afford the correct machine for it? Im ordering some hydgrometers next week.  And pruning,  "topping" or "lollipoping" confuses me a bit. Not quite sure what it is and when i should do it.

Any tips and tricks and do's or dont's would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

You can turn the fans down, to try and bang the heat and humidity up a little bit (you can go as high as 30/31c under LED) if you're able, or you can turn the LED down to bring the light intensity more in line with the environmental conditions.

All of this being said, don't break your back trying to get the humidity up too much if the plants are growing and looking fine. Most growers suffer the same issue I would imagine, in that initialy the humidity is a bit on the low side and its a struggle to get it up, but then as the plants root the pots and start drinking, the humidity starts to rise and then they have the issue of trying to bring it back down again.

• Like 3

Just now, GSZZ said:

You can turn the fans down, to try and bang the heat and humidity up a little bit (you can go as high as 30/31c under LED) if you're able, or you can turn the LED down to bring the light intensity more in line with the environmental conditions.

All of this being said, don't break your back trying to get the humidity up too much if the plants are growing and looking fine. Most growers suffer the same issue I would imagine, in that initialy the humidity is a bit on the low side and its a struggle to get it up, but then as the plants root the pots and start drinking, the humidity starts to rise and then they have the issue of trying to bring it back down again.

Thats another thing i forgot to mention, i only have a small desk fan which i have managed to bodge up onto the celing of the tent with zip ties and duct tape. I say small but its still bigger than the clip on ones which is another thing on my list i need to get. Only two speeds on that and its on the lowest. My extractor fan only has one speed. The temp in the tent seems to vary from 24c to 27c. Cheers for the reply dude, i guess if the plants are healthy like you say i will try not to worry too much

Just now, Mission Sunset said:

My extractor fan only has one speed.

You can buy a SMS single thermo fan speed controller + temp probe for no more than £45, and you can buy manual single fan speed controller for as little as £10. These controllers will make your fan buzz a bit though, but extraction control is neccesary so you will probably need one at some point.

Just now, Mission Sunset said:

. Cheers for the reply dude, i guess if the plants are healthy like you say i will try not to worry too much

:yep:

11 minutes ago, Mission Sunset said:

but it made an odd smell come out of the ventilation pipe.

Have you got a carbon filter?  V important if you value your security. 

Just now, GSZZ said:

You can buy a SMS single thermo fan speed controller + temp probe for no more than £45, and you can buy manual single fan speed controller for as little as £10

Just so im clear these are just for the duct fan and not the air circulation fan? 

I sometimes use a bit of thin upholstery type wadding loosely stuffed into inlets and the outlet to reduce airflow a bit below what the fan controller I have allows.

Helps with humidity in early veg.

• Like 1

@Mission Sunset  I'm relatively new as well,. but I've learned that environment is a HUGE factor.  Seemingly more so than nutrients, but I'm only speaking in terms of soil growing.   With that being said, The humidity hasn't been my focus as much as root/tent temps and watering control.  Personally ( what do I know, though) I wouldn't worry as much about humidity (especially in veg.  that's different in flower, especially if dense with close node spacing.  Botrytis and all that) as temps and proper watering.  The plants seem to add humidity to the tent, to a degree, as they get bigger.  

You need instrumentation and the ability to manipulate, though.  Temp, RH, C02 ( if you care that much) as well as a soil temp probe/heating mat setup if you're in colder climate. an extraction fan control setup (fan controllers are cheap on the usual websites where people buy stuff) is needed, IMO.

Generally speaking, I'd say you need shit to give you the ability to control the devices you have.  You can even hook the heaters to a temp sensor.  They have temp controllers for heating mats what would work, as long as they'll support the amp draw of the heaters you have.  Watch out for those.  They burn shit down, unattended. 

The Kyuss avatar and your dry environment leads me to believe you may be in the US Desert, maybe?   Cold nights and hot days will do weird shit.  Maintain your temp fluctuations relative to environment and roots.. water correctly ( if you're in soil... sounds like you're maybe hydro?)

That's my ignorant advice.  

Guest anarchycamp
1 hour ago, Mission Sunset said:

Just so im clear these are just for the duct fan and not the air circulation fan? 

Yes mate,never use one on a circulation fan!

I wouldn't sweat over low humidity myself. I don't use a dome for more than a couple of days when my seeds crack, sometimes not even that long. I don't have a humidifier either.

My early veg humidity can be in the low to mid 30's RH. No it's not ideal but so long as the rest of your environment is good, then she will be fine. Once she grows a bit, then you no longer have to fight low humidity issues and she will take off!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cajafiesta said:

The Kyuss avatar and your dry environment leads me to believe you may be in the US Desert, maybe?   Cold nights and hot days will do weird shit.  Maintain your temp fluctuations relative to environment and roots.. water correctly ( if you're in soil... sounds like you're maybe hydro?)

That's my ignorant advice.  

Cheers for the advice dude, all duly noted. And nah not from the californian desert, although i wish i was. Kyuss are one of my favourite bands that come from there and some of the finest music to smoke to. 

Im doing indoor tent grow but when i said it was dry, its because the storage heater in the room where my tent is, makes the air dry, its just their nature

• Like 1

@Mission Sunset We grow in the same size tent as you, also have humidity problems, if the plants look fine then I wouldn’t worry about it to much. Definitely worth purchasing a extractor fan speed controller, a mini oil filled radiator on a timer will help with lights off temps! what 600w led light are you using? You might fry them in that sized tent! 

• Like 1

I have zero indoor growing experience so cant help you there sorry , but i do have quite a few years outdoors only experience and the one bit of wisdom i can offer is simply - 

Dont stress out over the grow :)     Shit will happen , plants can be assholes :)    Just roll with the dramas , learn to read what the plants telling you , learn from the grow and most importantly and often overlooked factor is ... enjoy the grow :yep:   I love the grow part just as much as the end product.   

All the best with it mate

• Like 7