MidgeSmith

Just now, MindSoup said:

Was advised by @blackpoolbouncer, trust his word/knowledge do haven't done my own research. I used to use neutralise, I know don't, I've noticed no change. 

That'll do me, thanks :)

Just now, MindSoup said:

tastes different

Haha yeah you definitely don't want to be drinking that shit lol

It's probably just magnesium or aluminium oxide from a sacrificial anode but you never know.

• Like 2

I remember as a kid playing in the bath with my brother and sister, pretending the water from the hot tap was coffee and filling up little cups and drinking it lol Mum was absolutely horrified when she found us, took us up to the loft to see the header tank :puke:

• Like 3

It's be alright from a recent combi, probably, I guess?

I remember there being a dead pigeon in our header all those years ago.  Totally grossed me out.

• Like 2

Just now, MidgeSmith said:

It's be alright from a recent combi, probably, I guess?

I think you're right but I'd be guessing too.

Don't worry about dead pigeons or rats etc, the plants will love that lollol

• Like 3

On 08/12/2021 at 11:36 AM, latigid aikon said:

Rainwater has almost no minerals at all!

Not necessarily. Rain falls through the atmosphere and collects the pollution in it. Rain in smoggy industrial areas is quite different from rain falling in cleaner areas.

• Like 1

Just now, Surfer Joe said:

Rain falls through the atmosphere and collects the pollution in it.

No calcium and magnesium though?

I use the hot tap @MindSoup comes out cloudy as fuck. It’s always perturbed me but I just let it settle. I’ve been doing it that long I can tell by touch alone when the mixer tap is knocking out 20 degree water. Let it settle and cob it on the ladies. I’ll be honest I’ve knocked out some fucking ugly plants but that’s down to late watering rather than the waters quality. 

• Like 1

@MindSoupIt has tempted me since I dunno what it is that makes it cloudy. Dunno if a plumber/heating person knows why it comes out like that when heated. I’ve hovered over the water test buy button on Growers Ark a thousand times. But the thought of paying £30 to get ‘nothing to see here’ would proper wound me. I know my cal/mag ratios are 3:1 so that keeps me happy in terms of my water supply being fit for our purpose. If an expert turns up n tells us cloudy water isn’t good I’ll think about a water test after crimbo.

Edited by mikeydoughnut

If the cloudiness clears from the bottom up fairly quickly it's dissolved air bubbles and nothing to worry about.

But if it clears top down it's sediment and could be anything.

• Like 3

I'm a plumber and still see quite a few tanks in lofts.

I've never got my head around how many have no lids.

Most modern ones are enclosed boxes with a little hatch with a clip on cover.

The older open type you used to have to buy the lid as an optional extra for such a piddling little amount I could never see why anyone would ever cheap out on one.

Some of the old galvanised ones look like some weird exotic natural environment full of all sorts rusty crusty shite along with all the detritus that's fallen in over the decades.

I took one out for a woman earlier this year and she couldn't stop going on about the state of it once she saw the inside.

I'm quite sure the plants have little objection to dilute rat and pigeon soup though!

• Like 3

Didn't read all the posts above.

But I use plain old rain water, just room temp it first. no calm mag issues I use only intense dirt grow an bloom. 

Got to love mother nature. 

• Like 3

On 09/12/2021 at 0:34 PM, latigid aikon said:

No calcium and magnesium though?

I'm not sure, but I recall reading acid rain killing trees.