Carboair = piece of shit filter

crticalcontent

I can run what I have now slow or fast makes no difference as the fans perfectly matched to the filter . Anyway no issue to me tbh as what I have works. :oldtoker:

• Like 1

As long as it works for you mate then all good, I guess all filters have to be somewhat matched to their counterparts.  I'll be sticking with Fox for exactly the same reason. It works for me. 

Edited by MindSoup

i am guessing this has as much to do with the packing ratio, carbon sizes and distribution, settling and the overlap between the holy bit and the non holy bit.

Fluids will take the path of less resistance. at slower flow rates, proportionately, this means more dirty air will escape the filter.

why do these paths of least resistance happen? settling, packing and gaps. This may be why some manufacturers recommend turning.

Imagine the extreme case where a filter is vertical and the carbon is only half packed - the top holy bit will be totaly open. So this is when the margins come in.

Or even a horozontal filter where it has all settled 'down' and the top part has a much reduced carbon path.

The simple answer seems to be to gently ensure the charcaol is evenly distributed, and also to maybe tape up the end holes for  couple of inches to stop escapes at the ends.

1 hour ago, badbillybob said:

I thought you said the smell went up when you turned the fan up?

According to carbo, it should have been scrubbing it properly when you did that, but you said the stink just got worse?

my old rhino used to scrub the air at any fan speed too, even when i went completely overkill and had 2 extraction fans and had to run them almost at stalling speed, so im also smelling salesman bollox.

Its either that or less carbon used than would be neccesary to scrub it atlower fan speeds and more voids within the filter. Making it unfit for purpose....

it does weigh a fair bit less than the old rhinos (when they worked)

Yes but perhaps I was a little quick to switch the fucker off?? The whole street was stinking with glass penetrating terps. I went outside and it smelled even more so I fucked it off ASAP and made an in-line ozone generator which blew up. Don’t ask man it was a nightmare of the highest calibre. 
My instinct is hesitant to say it was solely due to scrubbing speed but I can’t ignore a stand up bloke like @Arthur Mix 

so I’d say it a possibility at least that I could’ve been to hasty in pulling the plug! But I WILL NOT BE USING THEM AGAIN 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, crticalcontent said:

I WILL NOT BE USING THEM AGAIN 

Fair play bud, once confidence is damaged in a product it's nigh on impossible to feel comfortable using it any more.

Just to add, I've been in this game for a lot of years and never heard a mention of this issue for any filter at any speed,

I'm getting whiff of something here and it's not weed...I hope you've got it sorted mate...:yep:

• Like 5

@Newcouch or just fill them properly, use a vibration table to make it all settled and void free all the way to the brim. Which is apparently what Carbo do according to their promotional videos. 

• Like 4

Well at least in this thread we have highlighted a potential risk involved with carboair filters. And anyone who searches online will bump into this little bit of real world experience and decide for themselves what to buy

stay safe and remember 

NO SMELL

NO TELL

NO SELL

Edited by crticalcontent
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, crticalcontent said:

That’s exactly what it was according to Arthur’s link. They need higher velocity air to gain the pressure for adequate scrubbing to take place. If not the air will just find the easier way through which is the big gaps that don’t filter fuck all. 
wish I would’ve known this before the shit storm that insued that night. I ended up loosing an entire crop as I skilfully Navigated from one calamity to another in the middle of the night. 

Morning gents :) Just had a bit of a read in here and now I'm wondering if it'd make more sense going with a 6" for my 5x5 as opposed to an 8". My thought was that the 8" wouldn't have to work very hard at all, and would therefore make less noise. I will be running an EC fan, but I have no experience of what kind of noise level these put out. Possibly a 6" running a little harder would be fairly quiet anyway? I'd hate to invest in the 8" with all the trimmings and discover that it's not moving the air at sufficient velocity to be scrubbed properly.

The only time I've seen anyone report this issue is with carbo air filters, so to me there's a pretty obvious solution to your conundrum. 

TBF though, the whole idea about oversizing your extraction so you can run it on tick over was because fans used to be so loud, which has massively improved in recent years. A decent EC fan is very quiet upto about half speed, so it's not as much of a necessity to oversize as it was in the past. Still I'd prefer a filter that never lets smell through regardless of fan speed, and even my cheapo Fox Hydro filters do that. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 5

My 6" and 8" Carboair 60s are never pushed above half fan speed,

I've had them for a year now. 

I don't smell a thing, 

neither do any of my neighbours :D

Sorry to hear about your negative experience with the product, 

whichever one it is. 

As mentioned by others, 

give the company a chance to resolve your situation. 

Atb 

:yinyang:

• Like 3

Remember one users filter fell off came undone from duct  so had a smell issue , pretty obvious tbh  then replaced that with and intake filter and called phresh shit . Was the first or second filter failing ? Imho experience seepage , not total failing is caused by user error . Either rvk fans not sealed at cowlings , non taped joins and jubilee clips not solid clamps or high R/H etc  or mismatched filters to fans capacities. Not saying they can’t fail just recently the above has happened .

• Like 4

@Arthur Mix that was me on a different thread but I never said they where shit. I was thinking it was a knock off, until someone pointed out the fact it was an intake filter :blushing:lol 

Incidentally even though it was an intake filter it still stopped smell for a few months and at any fan speed, so if anything its testament to Phresh being top notch. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Arthur Mix said:

Either rvk fans not sealed at cowlings ,

They aren't sealed. GAS now even sells a rubber band for around the body to create the seal, otherwise the potential for smell leaks is there. 

Makes me wonder how many have swore off a filter brand, when it was the fan failing them all along?

• Like 7

1 hour ago, GSZZ said:

They aren't sealed. GAS now even sells a rubber band for around the body to create the seal, otherwise the potential for smell leaks is there. 

Makes me wonder how many have swore off a filter brand, when it was the fan failing them all along?

So really, whichever brand you buy, you need to get the old tape out and seal up every crack and seam you can find on the fan itself, THEN worry about the fan and ducting and so on, I guess

This thread's had me change my shopping basket 3 times today :doh:lol  I'll stick with my original choice, I think

• Like 3

Then you have to decide on the type of tape to use lol the woven foils not a vapour tape nor is gaffer tape. Use the thick foil one designed as vapour barrier tape then gaffer over it lol then use a proper high quality clamp not a jubilee clip if ts on flanges etc .

• Like 5