Carboair = piece of shit filter

crticalcontent

I’ve had 3 100 mm deep bed Carboair filters and every one was top notch,I part with them after about 18 month and every one was as good as the other,I’ve used every type of carbon filter and never used anything better than these however it’s worrying to hear 

• Like 1

Quite the opposite and i am doubting this now given the size of the filter for the space but if the fan is pulling to much for the filters rating it can reduce its effectiveness as the particles don't have time to adhere to the carbon. 
is the filter in the space with ducting going out ? If so maybe the run of duct is pulling in through pin holes after the filter

Edited by KingAether
  • Like 1

No the smell was there during normal operation speed (quite low) but enough air coming in and out. So I turned it up a bit and it got worse so it got turned up a lot and it was a liability 

Just now, KingAether said:

Quite the opposite and i am doubting this now given the size of the filter for the space but if the fan is pulling to much for the filters rating it can reduce its effectiveness as the particles don't have time to adhere to the carbon. 
is the filter in the space with ducting going out ? If so maybe the run of duct is pulling in through pin holes after the filter

I used brand new combi ducting, but is a real possibility 

Just now, KingAether said:

is the filter in the tent with ducting going out the tent ? If so maybe the run of duct is pulling in through pin holes after the filter

It works the same way if you don't draw enough air.....it doesn't create the internal pressure required to scrub the air in one pass.

My other point remains the same......Too high RH for a period is a CF killer.

Edited by zen-ken
  • Like 3

Just now, crticalcontent said:

No the smell was there during normal operation speed (quite low) but enough air coming in and out. So I turned it up a bit and it got worse so it got turned up a lot and it was a liability 

Ensure there is no leaks....then get on the blower for a new one :yep:

• Like 1

All valid points guys but I’m not new to growing or filters. This is highly unusual, I’m now drying with a 4inch carboair (brand new) at one end and at the other a 6inch carboair and still theirs smell leaks. I even went out today and bought new ducting and have redone all my connections. I even glued all the seems on my fan, just in case after four years it’s letting in air through the seems. All to no avail 

• Like 4

I had a panick recently but im 99% its someone within a stonesthrow whos  either running full rooms or running without a filter at all..

good luck

It seems such a pissing match these days! Gone are the days of slinging up a rhino pro and not worrying for seemingly years on end!

• Like 6

I've never had call to use one or deal with the company so can't speak from experience but from everything I've read/heard I can't see you having an issue getting a replacement shipped out pronto so that would be my first call.  

Sounds like you already know all the possible and likely causes for failure and having troubleshot them all already, it seems sensible to get a replacement shipped out ASAP.  

If you later realise the problem was of your own creation or caused otherwise than the filter you can always apologize or offer to pay for the new one but you can't do anything if your banged up innit. 

Not having a dig at carboair but personally I think there's been a move by many premium brands to sort of re-invent the wheel as were and over engineer items to attempt too justify higher price points.  Things like varying bed thickness and labelling as budget/hobby/pro are just catering to different folks who like buying prettier/more expensive things for no other reason than they're prettier and more expensive. 

Carbon Filters been around a long time now and the science is well understood, the technology was optimised a long time ago and all being equal the cost of them should be going down not up.  

I know the adage is buy cheap buy twice.  But conversely paying a premium price tag doesn't always guarantee premium quality imho. 

2p

• Like 17

I was using carboair, no smell whatsoever.

Then, it decided to die on me mid flower, and I got a mountain air to replace it. Mind you it lasted me 2 years so not too bad.

I like the fact carboairs have the hanging points on them, and they look better built. Just a shame they don’t live long.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dodgee said:

Not having a dig at carboair but personally I think there's been a move by many premium brands to sort of re-invent the wheel as were and over engineer items to attempt too justify higher price points.  Things like varying bed thickness and labelling as budget/hobby/pro are just catering to different folks who like buying prettier/more expensive things for no other reason than they're prettier and more expensive. 

Carbon Filters been around a long time now and the science is well understood, the technology was optimised a long time ago and all being equal the cost of them should be going down not up.  

I know the adage is buy cheap buy twice.  But conversely paying a premium price tag doesn't always guarantee premium quality imho. 

2p

On the other hand its kind of like LED's in that yes a carbon filter is a carbon filter, its all the same material inside, but depending on where its collected and how its cleaned, how its sifted, what size grains used etc makes a lot of difference, like a top and bottom bin LED diode and the bed thickness makes a lot of sense because you could be growing blue dream which smells a little and a basic 50 will work or skunk#1 that smells a lot and the amount of particles moving through the filter will be much higher making the need for a thicker bed or longer filter so im not sure they are trying to make an impact on the market as much as fill niches that are there; Id prefer a 10/50mm wider can that a foot longer one for my small spaces. 

Since I started growing I didn't give the brand of my carbon filters any thought at all, I just went to the same growshop I've been using all that time and the shop owner only sold me filters that would work.

But just as the pandemic was starting I needed a new filter so I had to mail order one, I just bought the first 6" filter I saw that seemed like a decent price, it was an 'Ox Pro' and it looked pretty well made when it turned up so I installed it and forgot about it. But every time I went into the loft there was a slight hint of smell so I checked and replaced my ducting and went through everything that could be leaking until I was sure it was the filter. I was pretty surprised that companies were selling carbon filters that don't work so in a bit of a panic I bought a CarboAir 60 150 660 which is a 6" (150mm) filter with a 60mm bed and 660mm length. It was pretty expensive and it's overkill for my tent but it's been running continuously since March in my perpetual flowering tent and it works flawlessly.

I was a bit gutted to only learn about inline filters from @fatboy77 about a week after I bought my CarboAir. While it works perfectly it is way too big for my tent. So last week I converted it to an inline filter and moved it to outside the tent and I've been keeping a close eye (nose...) on it since then and it's still removing all of the smell.

I also checked my old filter to see what brand my growshop had sold me in the past, it's a MountainAir and that lasted years, I only got a new one because I upgraded to a larger tent and more light so I needed a larger filter.

• Like 5

Here’s the link to the thread etc please don’t get on my case like others did it’s the owner that told me . I have had no issues since either .

• Like 5

I've just checked my extract point, groom is full of Bruce Banner 3 weeks off finishing and not a whiff.

This filter has been running continuously at 25% for about 6 crops with no problems...

• Like 2