Need advice on insulting shed

Shed-Grower

20 hours ago, murphyblue said:

Well another solution would be to take out the glass and put flat upvc panel.

The glass is the cold spot so get rid u should be able to pick up the panel quite cheap i would have thought £30/40 from a local window/door firm it will also eliminate anybody trying to have a nose in.

Pop the beads out if ur not confident and measure the size of the glass unit thickness is very important armed with the size they will probably cut it for u.

And a good tip is pack it bottom/hinge corner and top/handle corner only it will allow u to lift the whole door slightly on the handle side to line up with locking mechanism i new my years of fitting the bloody things would come in handy one day.

And another good tip is if everything is working perfectly locking everything fine would be to before removing the glass put a line on the door and frame pencil is best it rubs off easy so when u put in the panel u just pack it to the line and jobs a good un.

Good idea and good advice on how to go about it. Thank you for that! There are gaps at the bottom of the door and in the cavity but I'm going to box that in and could always put some 25mm kingspan behind the boards. If I cant figure anything else out, I think this is what I'll do! 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lamster67 said:

large.20210629_131940_compress59.jpglarge.20210629_130832_compress85.jpglarge.20210629_164855_compress36.jpg

:realcool:This grow space is sweet!! What are the overall internal dimensions and how much space does it take take up? 

The problem I've got, is the timber frame that I've built over the walls wouldn't be strong enough to hold a door big enough to cover the gap where my actual shed door is. Maybe for a few weeks but not long term..

Maybe I could make a door like you've done and attach it to my timber frame then put it on wheels to hold the weight? I wonder if I could attached the insulated door to my main shed door somehow so it opens and closes with the shed door? I'm going to have a look on youtube :skin_up:

• Like 2

Don't know if this will help you with the door, mine's a 3x2 stud frame, 50mm insulation, osb board each side.

It's a 'lift off' style with casters along the bottom to hold the weight, just slides off sideways. no hinges and the weight all rests

on the bottom sill. The board overlaps all round and stops light leaks, door held on with a couple of bolts, works really well

large.SSCN0906.JPGlarge.SSCN0910.JPG

atb

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Shed-Grower said:

:realcool:This grow space is sweet!! What are the overall internal dimensions and how much space does it take take up? 

The problem I've got, is the timber frame that I've built over the walls wouldn't be strong enough to hold a door big enough to cover the gap where my actual shed door is. Maybe for a few weeks but not long term..

Maybe I could make a door like you've done and attach it to my timber frame then put it on wheels to hold the weight? I wonder if I could attached the insulated door to my main shed door somehow so it opens and closes with the shed door? I'm going to have a look on youtube :skin_up:

Heres my build diary for the shed in a shed mate, 

You might find some tips in there....as for your doors,  you could always go as Stu has or just use heavier duty hinges with bolts through to a back plate for the strength, or put 3 hinges per door.

Cheers Lamster 

• Like 1