Need advice on insulting shed

Shed-Grower

Hi, I had a shed built last year and plan on doing a couple of plants in there. It's a brick shed with a cavity wall (brick outside skin/high density block inside) and 100mm rockwool insulation slabs in the cavity.

Inside, I've built a timber frame and put 100mm kingspan against the walls. I've put 100mm rockwool slabs in the roof and plan on building a new ceiling and insulating it with 100mm kingspan too. 

I'm going to build a grow room inside the insulated shed and insulate the grow room with 100mm kingspan as well, possibly with some underfloor heating to keep my plants warm in the winter.

In the summer I'll have a fan bringing air in from outside behind the shed where its shaded. In the winter, I plan to keep the whole shed heated with an oil radiator and have passive intakes bringing the warmer 'shed air' in to my grow room so I'm not shocking my plants with freezing UK winter air!

The issue I have though is the door on the shed. The rest of the room will be well insulated but the door has no insulation around it at all so the heat escapes. 

Does anyone have any ideas of how to insulate the door so that the heat stays in my shed.

Thanks 

The shed grower 

• Like 3

Here are some pics of where I'm up to. Ideally I'd make my own second, 'inner door' out of ply with 100mm kingspan sandwiched between but the timber frame that I've made wouldn't be strong enough to hold it so I dont think that's an option..

large.20211120_172422.jpglarge.20211120_172420.jpglarge.20211120_172413.jpglarge.20211120_172358.jpglarge.20211120_172352.jpg

• Like 7

Just now, mrrichiet said:

I came here to insult your shed and now I see you just wanted advice on insulation :( 

Ahh yeh I see what I've done there.. I've just uploaded some pics so feel free to insult or advise :smokin:

• Like 9

Your shed door surround looks as rough as a badger’s arse! lol

Do you have room to build a kingspan door and open it into the space?  Ideally you want a vestibule/lobby/airlock sort of thing. :oldtoker:

Good luck with the grow, insulated room within an insulated room sounds like a winner. :yep:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, grooving said:

Your shed door surround looks as rough as a badger’s arse! lol

Do you have room to build a kingspan door and open it into the space?  Ideally you want a vestibule/lobby/airlock sort of thing. :oldtoker:

Good luck with the grow, insulated room within an insulated room sounds like a winner. :yep:

An insult and advice in one message. I like it lol :yep:

Yeh I have room to open a kingspan door inside but I don't think the wooden frame would hold the weight. Was you thinking hang it off the timber or hang it on the blocks? I don't think hanging it off the blocks would work tbh coz the thickness of the insulation would make it catch on the timber framing when opening.

I've considered building a new internal door using kingspan which would fill the gap, and then putting it on tracks rather than on hinges so the weight isn't on the frame. My DIY skills aren't that good tho so I'm not sure if that would work or how difficult it would be to do.. 

• Like 3

Overengineered Wendy house . 

I'm not sure about the door , and the potential glow ,partitioning the shed might be a good idea but well done, fairly tidy .It's as good as a fella can get for a shed and better than some houses I've rented .

• Like 3

Should have had the door opening outwards instead of inwards u have already lost space inside.

That way would have been easier to make a smaller insulated door and hang it close to the upvc one to minimize space loss inside.

That's my take on it wouldn't take a couple of hours to have the door out and turn it round.

• Like 3

You would have to extract the bad air out the shed but I would recommend the partition for a small veg room and another for your flowering room allowing for space to use the front section by the door for storage and also when you open the door the rooms would be disguised and give space for air exchange rather that directly taking the air from outside…

I would also allow for some height restrictions in that I could also store shed stuff on top of the in built rooms I mean it looks pretty big in there…. Good luck with however you decide to go… 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, HEAVY_SMOKER said:

You would have to extract the bad air out the shed  

Is this essential? Only I have a very similar build to the OP and I extract into the shed as I finds it keep the temps inside slightly higher than they should be

• Like 2

23 hours ago, 5Lip said:

Is this essential? Only I have a very similar build to the OP and I extract into the shed as I finds it keep the temps inside slightly higher than they should be

Keeping stale air out is probably essential BUT if you grow inside a room with a tent say .. then it’s likely that you would have some way to release the bad air such as an open window or extract out of the room 

there is some factors to take into consideration regarding environment have a look at my current grow 

it’s a room in a room whereby this grow the outer room has been sealed a little to prevent nesting and with that brought humidity issues for instance so every grow setup it usually different AGAIN though

if you have a similar setup and finding success then there is NO need to change a winning formula 

sorry to have you overthink here it’s looks very good indeed and I’d love it 

• Like 2

On 11/26/2021 at 8:30 AM, murphyblue said:

Should have had the door opening outwards instead of inwards u have already lost space inside.

Yeh that would be the perfect solution! What's put me off tho is that a while ago I was buying a composit door for the side of my garage and the guy in the shop said if I want it to open outwards (which I did) then I should get one thats designed to open outwards. Somethings about people can just break the hinges and lift the door off if its not designed to work thay way..?

On 11/27/2021 at 2:06 PM, HEAVY_SMOKER said:

You would have to extract the bad air out the shed but I would recommend the partition for a small veg room and another for your flowering room allowing for space to use the front section by the door for storage and also when you open the door the rooms would be disguised and give space for air exchange rather that directly taking the air from outside…

My shed is about 3.5m long and about 2m wide inside and about 2.1m high. I'll start another thread when I'm ready to start thinking about how I'm going to use the space but I'm thinking the same as you! I've left 1 of the insulation panels hanging out on the back wall and one on the side wall. I'll vent out of the side wall into a composter or water butt and in the summer, I'll bring cool air in from the shaded bit behind my shed. After I've got my shed insulated well enough, I'll get my ducting in and box it all in with this 100mm rockwool RWA 45 (other brands are available!)

After leaving my rad on for a few hours I can defo tell the only place I'm loosing heat is the door. If I can get my door insulated then the shed section will hold the heat so I can bring warmer air in to the grow space in the winter..

• Like 1

On 11/28/2021 at 3:05 PM, HEAVY_SMOKER said:

Keeping stale air out is probably essential BUT if you grow inside a room with a tent say .. then it’s likely that you would have some way to release the bad air such as an open window or extract out of the room 

there is some factors to take into consideration regarding environment have a look at my current grow 

it’s a room in a room whereby this grow the outer room has been sealed a little to prevent nesting and with that brought humidity issues for instance so every grow setup it usually different AGAIN though

if you have a similar setup and finding success then there is NO need to change a winning formula 

sorry to have you overthink here it’s looks very good indeed and I’d love it 

I've bought this vapour barrier to put over my insulation, then I'm going to plasterboard over that. You've got me thinking now tho.. Even if I vent outside, will the shed section become humid because of the oil rad heating it up :ohmygod:

Well another solution would be to take out the glass and put flat upvc panel.

The glass is the cold spot so get rid u should be able to pick up the panel quite cheap i would have thought £30/40 from a local window/door firm it will also eliminate anybody trying to have a nose in.

Pop the beads out if ur not confident and measure the size of the glass unit thickness is very important armed with the size they will probably cut it for u.

And a good tip is pack it bottom/hinge corner and top/handle corner only it will allow u to lift the whole door slightly on the handle side to line up with locking mechanism i new my years of fitting the bloody things would come in handy one day.

And another good tip is if everything is working perfectly locking everything fine would be to before removing the glass put a line on the door and frame pencil is best it rubs off easy so when u put in the panel u just pack it to the line and jobs a good un.

• Like 1

On 21/11/2021 at 6:16 PM, Shed-Grower said:

The issue I have though is the door on the shed. The rest of the room will be well insulated but the door has no insulation around it at all so the heat escapes. 

Does anyone have any ideas of how to insulate the door so that the heat stays in my shed.

Alright there dude...all seems pretty well covered there...I also grow in a space in a shed & went about my doors as in the pics

Cheers Lamster 

large.20210629_131940_compress59.jpglarge.20210629_130832_compress85.jpglarge.20210629_164855_compress36.jpg

• Like 5