Coconut Water

MindSoup

Hello chums 

I've seen a few people in various places talk about feeding plants Coconut water and as I have some in the fridge that needs drinking and my plants could do with a bit of a boost I was thinking of giving it a go. I'd be very grateful for some advice from people with experience using it I imagine it needs diluting.

I see it has quite a bit of sodium content which I've been told can build up in the soil, I re use my soil so could that potentially cause me issues over time?

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

Coconut water is lovely, only ever used it outdoors so never really considered the sodium build up.

I'll normally chuck 2 litre cartons in with 20 or so litres, can't say I've done the science but I've found they tend to dry out slower with it in the mix

• Like 2

Thanks mate, I run Blumats in a sort of mini living soil setup so zero run off which is what had me a bit worried to use it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MindSoup said:

Thanks mate, I run Blumats in a sort of mini living soil setup so zero run off which is what had me a bit worried to use it. 

Have you considered just turning the space into one big bed mate? may make balancing things out easier? was just over in your grow thread and it looks good. Amazing what you get out of that space :yep: Especially the Viking, Total old fav of mine and put a smile on my face seeing it after all this time.

Tbh everything you get from coconut water you can most likely get from other amendments minus the sodium build up.

I got some and was planning on using it on the couple of little ones i have on the go so was wondering about how much to use per litre.

I know it shouldn't burn them but going on the ratios posted above its 10ml per litre think i got that right.

I am hand watering and plan to add some liquid seaweed when they are big enough but was planning to add some coconut while they are little is this ok.

@acidshiva I have thought about that a few times, but the place I live has always been a temporary stop gap that I was expecting to move out of, and I didn't like the prospect of having to move/dump all that soil. In hindsight it would have been worth doing because its been a fairly amount of time and I don't see it changing too soon either lol. That Viking was an absolute trooper, I'd like to give the strain a proper run at some point. I did one outdoors as well, only plant with 0 mould, was only a tiny little thing but the bud is gorgeous. 

I'll probably just drink that coconut water then. Probably do me more good than the soil lol. I'll keep it mind for pre Blumat/early veg though. 

Edited by MindSoup

I use it. Just once a run usually in early flower as a little boost. 

the sodium content isn’t too bad, unless you’re absolutely dousing them with coconut water I don’t think you’ll have issues. Keep in mind kelp meal has plenty of sodium in too. 

magnesium potassium a bit of calcium some amino acids cytokinins various other goodies. It’s good stuff. 

I generally just drain a couple of coconuts tbh I don’t buy the cartoned stuff as I don’t know what else is in it. 

• Like 3

Im the same as @Sargares

I get a fresh coconut straight from the tree if they are ready or from the local market.

No measuring amounts or anything, just cut the sucker open, mix it in with my 6litre bottle i use for mixing up feed and give all the girls that are 2-3 weeks into flower a dose.

Plants love it.

Bottled stuff contains a whole bunch of chemicals to stop it from spoiling and for long shelf life.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, MindSoup said:

Hello chums 

I've seen a few people in various places talk about feeding plants Coconut water and as I have some in the fridge that needs drinking and my plants could do with a bit of a boost I was thinking of giving it a go

there’s lots of talk about it on here if you chuck it in the search bar :stoned:  Aloe too..

there was a good high times article about it..

:bong:

16 hours ago, acidshiva said:

Have you considered just turning the space into one big bed mate? may make balancing things out easier? was just over in your grow thread and it looks good. Amazing what you get out of that space :yep: Especially the Viking, Total old fav of mine and put a smile on my face seeing it after all this time.

Tbh everything you get from coconut water you can most likely get from other amendments minus the sodium build up.

That's a great idea. A living soil bed would work itself out much better I reckon

• 2 weeks later...

They seem to really love coconut water in my limited experience. I only use it at 15ml/l plain water. Once in veg and once in flower. Surprisingly noticeable difference in plants the next day, especially in veg.

I did give them a dose to see what happened but they didn't seem to like it very much TBH, I don't think its the right thing for my situation. 

• Like 1