First Attempt At Bonsai - Need Advice!

JockWeed

1 hour ago, gm420 said:

The ot link is on page 1 of this thread, as in the page before this one lol

Jesus Wept hahahahahaha thanks dude :O and yes im not operating machinery today lol

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

been reading through all of this and OT1s thread. my current mum has gone bananas and is too lanky as the room she was in was my veg tent and she was fighting for the light. I'll be taking several cuts from it to then create a stock of new bonsai mums which I've now got a dedicated area for so now more stretching for the light. 

Is root pruning necessary in coco?

Edited by sweettooth
On 11/11/2021 at 4:39 PM, BilgePump said:

Chillies are a great practice plant to hone one's bonsai skills , I've been practicing "bonchi" on them for quite a while now , definitely ups yer confidence when it comes to root pruning (some folk are terrified to chop of ppm suckers).

Square pots for the win.

It's also worth taking a very careful and measured approach to pruning the growth , a good bonsai can be ruined if you accidentally clip back to a spent node.

:yinyang:

Ok any tips on root pruning i was thinking on doing a few plats in pot noddle pots and thought about root pruning is this a good idea or not just in case of ròt bound cheers mate

• Like 1
4 hours ago, BilgePump said:

@Baron von greenback less is more with root pruning , you can take it off but you can't put it back. 

If I were pruning a pepper in say a 5L pot I wouldn't take much over an inch off all round.

:yinyang:

Ok mate cheers

On 11/11/2021 at 0:51 PM, latigid aikon said:

Root restriction is one of the factors that keeps them small.

This is how I keep mine, 10 varieties in a very small space:

large.IMG_7692.jpeg

I don't apologise for bumping this one bit.....thats some top work right there my man....they look healthy as fook

Ever since I read OT1's original post, god know how many years ago now....Thats what I wanted to see in my prop space :yep:

• Like 4
3 hours ago, zen-ken said:

thats some top work right there my man

Thanks, all I did was follow the instructions though so all credit must go to oldtimer1 :)

• Like 2