First Attempt At Bonsai - Need Advice!

JockWeed

Hi Guys and Galls, 

So i have gotten down to 2 plants for my Bonsai experiment and they are now in larger pots.

I have them in a small tent with T5 light.

I have them on an 18/6 light regime and watering them every 3-4 days or so.

They are in GK Soil which should feed them for about 4 weeks and they are looking healthy.

Any other suggestions for keeping them strong and healthy would be appreciated.

JW

large.bonsai.jpg

Edited by JockWeed
spelling

Have you read OT1's guide mate?

Your pots look too big for me. Im currently doing my first attempt at bonsai mums too (about 18 years after first reading that guide :( ) mine are 5 weeks old in 1L pots planning to keep them there.

Edited by Two Tents
  • Like 6
2 minutes ago, Two Tents said:

Have you read OT1's guide mate?

Your pots look too big for me. Im currently doing my first attempt at bonsai mums too (about 18 years after first reading that guide :( ) mine are 5 weeks old in 1L pots planning to keep them there.

Nice one, i wouldnt mind seeing some photos of your Bonsais lol - I figured better to have pot too big than too small right?

Just now, JockWeed said:

I figured better to have pot too big than too small right?

Root restriction is one of the factors that keeps them small.

This is how I keep mine, 10 varieties in a very small space:

large.IMG_7692.jpeg

• Like 15

Yes, smaller pots to restrict the roots and square pots are good because you can fit more into a smaller space and also it is much easier to root prune a square root ball.

Read OT1's article and then re-read it regularly, I first read it probably 20 years ago and I still learn more from it when I re-read it, there is so much info in it, everything you need to know.

• Like 6
11 minutes ago, latigid aikon said:

Yes, smaller pots to restrict the roots and square pots are good because you can fit more into a smaller space and also it is much easier to root prune a square root ball.

Read OT1's article and then re-read it regularly, I first read it probably 20 years ago and I still learn more from it when I re-read it, there is so much info in it, everything you need to know.

Yeah i have read it and got it printed out to follow.  HE did mention square pots but i didnt realise how important the smaller pots where. 

They are on my shopping list for the weekend :)

JW

1 hour ago, JockWeed said:

Nice one, i wouldnt mind seeing some photos of your Bonsais lol - I figured better to have pot too big than too small right?

@latigid aikon 's are way more mature and impressive than mine but here you go. Some of these are seed plants and 6 are clones of the plants i have in flower.

large.IMG_20211110_113209.jpg

Edited by Two Tents
  • Like 4

Chillies are a great practice plant to hone one's bonsai skills , I've been practicing "bonchi" on them for quite a while now , definitely ups yer confidence when it comes to root pruning (some folk are terrified to chop of ppm suckers).

Square pots for the win.

It's also worth taking a very careful and measured approach to pruning the growth , a good bonsai can be ruined if you accidentally clip back to a spent node.

:yinyang:

Edited by BilgePump
More.
  • Like 3
  • 3 months later...

HI Guys,

I know i haven't replied to this thread in a while but i have had unmitigated disasters and now thoroughly need your help once again.

I am now on my 3 group of 6 cuttings with everything dying so far but i think i have this one down. (i think it was environment as usual) however i cant find anywhere what i should be feeding my Mothers, should i just be following a normal VEG routine for them?

So i am thinking the following: (Per Week)

0.5ml/l GK Grow
1.0 ml/l Batboost

From what i can tell maybe its best to actually half the above and only do it twice a month as they are mothers.

Can someone please help me out with this as for whatever reason its confused the shit out of me and i cant find any clear info (it all just says 1.2 normal feed, 1/3rd normal feed, no nutes etc etc).

thanks for the help :)

JW

7 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

Can you refer back to OT1s guide mate, I can't remember the details but he definitely mentions feeding schedules. 

I would if i could find the damn thing, didnt it used to be Pinned in this forum? I cant find it anywhere and nor can the search it seems, do you have link?

thanks

JW

HI Guys,

I know i haven't replied to this thread in a while but i have had unmitigated disasters and now thoroughly need your help once again.

I am now on my 3 group of 6 cuttings with everything dying so far but i think i have this one down. (i think it was environment as usual) however i cant find anywhere what i should be feeding my Mothers, should i just be following a normal VEG routine for them?

So i am thinking the following: (Per Week)

0.5ml/l GK Grow
1.0 ml/l Batboost

From what i can tell maybe its best to actually half the above and only do it twice a month as they are mothers.

Can someone please help me out with this as for whatever reason its confused the shit out of me and i cant find any clear info (it all just says 1.2 normal feed, 1/3rd normal feed, no nutes etc etc).

thanks for the help :)

JW