Strengthening a plants immune system to resist botrytis

Phillybonker

Just now, Phoenix said:

Willow water for the same active ingredient as asprin.

If you want organic.

;)

Is that something that would help our health, as it was believed aspirin did, but without the side effects? 

45 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

Bacillus Thuringiensis

I used to buy this stuff called Gnat Off in little blue bottles with this in, but it seems you can't buy it anywhere nowadays :( 

Ive no idea about using willow water in human applications to be honest but id assume it would work in the correct dose.  Plant use of asprin has fascinated me for years.  It was brought to my attention by a professional potato farmer of some maturity.  I thought he was pulling my leg until i found a pdf of the peer reviewed scientific paper.  Seems to apply more to the deadly nightshade family, spuds aubergine etc.  However it seems that asprin does aid germination, promote root health and boost the immune system.  Its a proven thing which kind of supports the bro science mystery of willow water.  There may be a lot more to investigate/prove such as a preflowering foliar drench @fatboy77.

• Like 4

Caffiene is another strange one.  I could explain this but ill leave a link.  Hopefuly.  This study is more about caffiene producing plants but i think caffiene could be used as a foliar or root drench.  Maybe.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4871636/

Id be interested in anybodys input here, its all well above my head to be honest....

Symbiotic companion planting perhaps?

Edited by Phoenix
Detail
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BilgePump said:

That would be a north/ north east aspect in NZ I imagine wouldn't it? 

:yinyang:

I wouldn't be worried about bud rot at all growing there. That's a similar lattitude to southern Spain, longer days and warm autumn, just make good use of the sun! :yep:

• Like 2

Apparently crab shells and lobster shells can be composted to get the same effect.

Perhaps you could obtain a quantity of crab shells/ lobster shells from a fish supplier or seafood restaurant  and add them to your compost or to your plot for long term breakdown.

Apparently if you leave crab shells on an ants nest they will leave them clean and hollow.

• Like 2

@Phoenix ants are great for that , whenever I find deer or Badger skulls out foraging I leave them on Formica rufa nests to collect at a later date. 

Usually within a week they are stripped clean.

:yinyang:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Slippy One said:

I wouldn't be worried about bud rot at all growing there. That's a similar lattitude to southern Spain, longer days and warm autumn, just make good use of the sun! :yep:

Totally different climate mate. Its not all about latitude. NZ is a small narrow Island surrounded by ocean, the Auckland area has a very changeable climate with lots of rain and morning fog. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

Failing that, mares/horsetail is a weed that has a higher silica content than any other plant. 

I use this to top dress. 

Probably a stupid question but is that composted mares/horsetail?, or do you use that as a cover crop?

I dont think to be honest there will be much you can put into the ground that's gonna hamper the dreaded grey mold.

The right genetics and good airflow will be the winners.

Yes grey mold is tough to beat, it wiped out half my plants last season.  But there are lots of things I can improve on - lollipopping, topping twice to reduce the size of the colas, heavily pruning the centre of the plants, stretching the plants wide to allow air flow to the centre, pruning when the sun is on the plants to allow the pruning wounds to heal up etc.  

I'll find out in a few months if Old Man Green's White Widow can hold up against NZ autumn weather long enough to get some kind of decent buds.  I'll have to pull 7 weeks into flowering, or if I'm lucky 8 weeks because the autumn weather is bad here and I'm right beside the ocean so that brings the humidity up even more.

10 hours ago, Newcouch said:

shrimp / prawn shells are chitin.

Lobster / crab shells are chitin with calcium carbonate.

So have a blowout meal.

Gawd knows what you do with it afterwards. Chitin and lobster shells are obviously insoluble in water.

Chitin's formal japanese friend, Chitosan is soluble in water and made from chtin and strong alkali.

i thoroughly object to the price of diatomaceous earth but it works wonders against mini insects and beasts.

All of the above are merely observations with nothing to do with botyritis.

For normal plants my goto is bordeaux mixture, which is basically copper sulphate and is (highly cynically) organic since the french cant live without it. I used to just get bags of it for nothing, probably from french wine growers. Only problem is it clogs up nozzles of sprayers.

But now i wiki it, it is suddenly a pollutant and illegal and contains quick lime. when the hell did that happen? shows how long a big bag lasts. Fair enough i suppose, copper is deadly, our drinking water pipes are made from it.

I'm going to try get my hands on some crab shells but that will have to be for next grow season because I understand crab shells take a while to break down and are slow release.  My grow area is by a beach so I guess I could try my hand at crab trapping. 

Edited by Phillybonker

9 hours ago, MindSoup said:

+1 on genetics and airflow but also the morning sun and aspect of the geography. 

Also have a read up on Bacillus Thuringiensis and lactic acid bacteria.  Good for all kinds of pests and mould/mildew. 

About the morning sun, I was thinking of making "morning dew covers" made from pellet wrapping, the idea is still in it's infancy and I've got 3 months to make it a reality.  It will also double as semi-protection from the rain by protecting the centre of the plants from a drenching.  I thought of that because on my last grow I noticed morning dew didn't get on my plants that were under over hanging trees.

I'll look into Bacillus Thuringiensis and lactic acid bacteria.  Thanks man:)

Edited by Phillybonker

7 hours ago, Slippy One said:

Warm autumns sure, but lots of rain and cloudy weather.  Not to mention the average 80% humidity in the part of NZ where I'm based.  Lost half my plants to bud rot last season.

Edited by Phillybonker

6 hours ago, Phoenix said:

Apparently crab shells and lobster shells can be composted to get the same effect.

Perhaps you could obtain a quantity of crab shells/ lobster shells from a fish supplier or seafood restaurant  and add them to your compost or to your plot for long term breakdown.

Apparently if you leave crab shells on an ants nest they will leave them clean and hollow.

I plan on doing some crab trapping since I'm near a beach.  Good idea about leaving the shells out for the ants to clean,  I'll be using that trick;)