Strengthening a plants immune system to resist botrytis

Phillybonker

I know crab meal/chitin is best for strengthening a plants immune system to resist botrytis but unfortunately crab meal/chitin is not available in my country.  My question is; what is the next best alternative for strengthening a plants immune system using organic inputs?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, catweazle1 said:

You prob want a high silica source but I don't know any organic sources apart from soil itself.

I'm guerilla growing in the bush direct in the ground in decent soil so I guess my silica source is sorted then.  Sounds good to me:)

• Like 1

Just now, BilgePump said:

Fine grade diatomaceous earth is chocked full of biogenic silica if you can get it

:yinyang:

Looks like I can get it.  First time I've heard of diatomaceous.  Thanks:)

• Like 1

Failing that, mares/horsetail is a weed that has a higher silica content than any other plant. 

I use this to top dress. 

I dont think to be honest there will be much you can put into the ground that's gonna hamper the dreaded grey mold.

The right genetics and good airflow will be the winners.

• Like 8

shrimp / prawn shells are chitin.

Lobster / crab shells are chitin with calcium carbonate.

So have a blowout meal.

Gawd knows what you do with it afterwards. Chitin and lobster shells are obviously insoluble in water.

Chitin's formal japanese friend, Chitosan is soluble in water and made from chtin and strong alkali.

i thoroughly object to the price of diatomaceous earth but it works wonders against mini insects and beasts.

All of the above are merely observations with nothing to do with botyritis.

For normal plants my goto is bordeaux mixture, which is basically copper sulphate and is (highly cynically) organic since the french cant live without it. I used to just get bags of it for nothing, probably from french wine growers. Only problem is it clogs up nozzles of sprayers.

But now i wiki it, it is suddenly a pollutant and illegal and contains quick lime. when the hell did that happen? shows how long a big bag lasts. Fair enough i suppose, copper is deadly, our drinking water pipes are made from it.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Newcouch said:

i thoroughly object to the price of diatomaceous earth but it works wonders against mini insects and beasts.

Really? 

5kg is £7.45 delivered on the bay of E's

Also, copper isn't really that deadly unless your eating spoonfuls of copper sulphate. 

Copper is an essential element needed to be healthy and deficiencies occur if you dont get enough in your diet. 

Goats particularly struggle with copper deficiency, you actually feed them capsules filled with 25 grams of copper oxide rods, without them my goats become quite ill because my land is lacking in copper naturally. 

I think the issue with the copper and the bordeaux mixture is that people pile it on year after year and you eventually reach toxic levels in soil etc.

• Like 2

+1 on genetics and airflow but also the morning sun and aspect of the geography. 

Also have a read up on Bacillus Thuringiensis and lactic acid bacteria.  Good for all kinds of pests and mould/mildew. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 4

Just now, MindSoup said:

also the morning sun and aspect of the geography. 

That would be a north/ north east aspect in NZ I imagine wouldn't it? 

:yinyang:

• Like 1