Low temps

DastardlyDick

2 hours ago, Slippy One said:

The only thing that really helps is heat and lots of it, tightly controlled by a reliable Inkbird 308 thermostat. 3x tube heaters and a heat mat. The more the merrier. Insulate the tent with blankets and hope for the best. You're trying to recreate the tropics on a hot day *in a uk winter , go for it! 

:guitar: 

We'll have to have a thread poll on how much this winter cost next Spring.

* added by me

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 1

I run lights from 4pm till 4am.gives plenty time to do what needs done in the tent.only needing the costly heaters for a few hours :yep:

• 3 weeks later...

Like others I

- run autos in winter 20/4 lights off for 4 hours at lunch time
 - have a tube heater, I did have an oil rad but the even hooked up to a inkbird the temps were not as stable as I would like and it took up loads of room I was also worried about a fire hazzard as it was getting so hot!

I grow with 2 100w LEDs so when it gets really cold even lights on wasnt enough. This is my second year growing in the garage after the nightmare i had the first eyar I built growbox out of osb and tinber then insualted it with 50mm kingspan (not the brand I used,I used what ever they had at my local diy shop). This year the the temps have been solid. cost me about £200 all in and and built it over the 2 weekends. I work in IT and have no previous building experience so there is not a 90 degree corner on the whole build with the gift of hindsigh because I only grow 1 plant at a time (i was growing more than I could smoke :D ) I would of done a fridge grow.

Edited by JungleGeorge

• 4 weeks later...
On 06/11/2021 at 9:33 AM, DastardlyDick said:

How will this give me nute issues? Over feeding? 

You'll end up with nutrient uptake issues. The same way the pH has to be within a certain range, so does the temps. Your root zone should never fall below 18c

I use a £10 piece of underfloor heating hooked up to an inkbird alongside an oil rad. Well worth the pennies

• Like 1

On 06/11/2021 at 1:24 PM, catweazle1 said:

We'll have to have a thread poll on how much this winter cost next Spring.

I'm having to hide the monthly bill from the Mrs lately lol Don't even want to think about how much it'll be for the entire winter :mellow:

• Like 4

I use an itc308 and an oil heater but had to turn the oil heater down as it drew too much power through the inkbird and nearly broke it.

As has been said, if the football temp drops below 18c the plant nutrient uptake will be affected leading to a confusing array of deficiencies.

I heat the pots independently from the rest of the room, have a thermometer in the soil, optimum temp seems to be 23c, some plants are fussier an like it warm whereas others are more hardy and can take lower root temp. Watering water should be at 20 to 25c, if it's too warm it will shock the plant so best to use a thermometer, if you use cold water the plant can just sit there in it being waterlogged and cold for hours and hours or longer.

The upper parts of the plant really still want to be 23c min at lights off, while keeping the roots warm will go a long way towards making them happy warm air temps will ensure healthier more productive growth. 

We all know led's produce less heat, that's one of the reasons we like them, they use less electricity.

Under hps my winter temps would sometimes go as low as 15C without causing any serious problems, try this under led's and you will probably lose the grow.

So as well as producing less heat does growing under led's also make plants more susceptible to low temps, a sort of double whammy?

• Like 2

I've yet to try an led setup but if I had one now I'd experiment with an array of pigmy bulbs on a dimmer switch to increase leaf surface temperatures.