Low temps

DastardlyDick

What’s the lowest temperature people have grown in, dropped down to 12c last night in my tent. I’ve got a couple of tube heaters in there but with lights off it gets fresh 

Guest MysticMeg

Possibly an option is to run Automatics through the winter if temperature is an issue, opening up the option of running lights 24/7 will certainly help temperature stability.

Also running strains/genetics specifically suited to colder climates.

Edited by MysticMeg

Cannabis will really start to struggle once temps get that low , anything below 12°c is seriously sketchy territory especially for the rootballs.

Perhaps run your lights at night so yer dark cycle is during the day , this should bump yer temps up into a more comfortable range for your plants.

:yinyang:

• Like 2

I was thinking about autos for that reason, but had some seeds I wanted to use, and the the issue with running them through the night is tending to them (trimming and training)   I might adjust the lights to be on through part of the night during flower and hope for the best. They seem to be growing still, and have been between 12-14c through the coldest part of the night for a week now. 

1 hour ago, DastardlyDick said:

What’s the lowest temperature people have grown in, dropped down to 12c last night in my tent. I’ve got a couple of tube heaters in there but with lights off it gets fresh 

Should run your lights at night if possible.

• Like 2

Get a heat mat for starters. You can sit the pots on it so at least you will have warm roots. Get an old duvet or similar and wrap your tent in it if it's feasible. 

• Like 3

I've just finished a crop and had this exact same problem.  The main issue you're at risk from tho, aside from stunted growth due to the cold, is the increase in RH - which can lead to bud rot if you're not careful.  IIRC the lowest cannabis wants to grow is around the 16 mark, but I'd try and aim for the 19 area if you can.  My temps were plummeting during lights off and I didn't know - I lost most of my tops :( I have a second tent finishing up now, so I'm still using an oil radiator sitting in front of the intake tube.  I have the rad on a timer so it goes off when the lights turn on, then it alternates on / off cycles during the dark period, tho I may just end up switching it on permy once lights go off and working out how low I need it to keep the humidity up.

I purchased a govee bluetooth hygrometer from Amazon after a recommendation on here, they really are awesum.  Lets you monitor your levels from a phone or tablet, they do a wifi version if you really wanna go in on it.  Would have saved my ass here, only the battery ran out, and I forgot I had one... :wallbash:

• Like 1

I have a couple of heatbars but ended up using a small oil radiator with a fan blowing directly at it to distribute the heat and avoid a heat spot.

You will have nute issues as the grow progresses as well as if temps are low.

I'm doing autos on 24/7 due to temp / grow in garage 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, unity said:

I've just finished a crop and had this exact same problem.  The main issue you're at risk from tho, aside from stunted growth due to the cold, is the increase in RH - which can lead to bud rot if you're not careful.  IIRC the lowest cannabis wants to grow is around the 16 mark, but I'd try and aim for the 19 area if you can.  My temps were plummeting during lights off and I didn't know - I lost most of my tops :( I have a second tent finishing up now, so I'm still using an oil radiator sitting in front of the intake tube.  I have the rad on a timer so it goes off when the lights turn on, then it alternates on / off cycles during the dark period, tho I may just end up switching it on permy once lights go off and working out how low I need it to keep the humidity up.

I purchased a govee bluetooth hygrometer from Amazon after a recommendation on here, they really are awesum.  Lets you monitor your levels from a phone or tablet, they do a wifi version if you really wanna go in on it.  Would have saved my ass here, only the battery ran out, and I forgot I had one... :wallbash:

Humidity isn’t an issue at the moment, I have the Govee hygrometer, they’re good for the price. I think it’s either an oil heater or try and insulate the tent. I’m using LED which doesn’t really generate much heat, it only bumps up the temps a couple of degrees. They seem to be growing well, I’ve got them in air pots and the heat tubes are sat right next to the pots 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jack? said:

You will have nute issues as the grow progresses as well as if temps are low.

I'm doing autos on 24/7 due to temp / grow in garage 

How will this give me nute issues? Over feeding? 

16 hours ago, unity said:

I have the bluetooth Govee 2x. If you have a wifi webcam, just point that at the Govee screen to see what the reading is.. :yep:

The only thing that really helps is heat and lots of it, tightly controlled by a reliable Inkbird 308 thermostat. 3x tube heaters and a heat mat. The more the merrier. Insulate the tent with blankets and hope for the best. You're trying to recreate the tropics on a hot day, go for it! 

:guitar: 

• Like 3