Aussie Noodle

Newcouch

I'm enjoying your workmanship,

An interesting hypothesis on ullage you have presented,

I have applied similar critical thinking to my own set up...and think I'll just top my pots up :D

Best of luck with the comp and grow, look forward to more innovations :upside:

:)

• Like 5

On 06/11/2021 at 10:50 AM, Newcouch said:

@Whatwentwrong  Yes, i am worried about this. I think the intent is that i only use the bottom half of the basket. The basket has a vertical median line. I intend to have this line level with the top of the potnoodle, as you can see in the photo, then all the roots will be within the potnoodle as per the comp.

Now obviously i have the same problem with the bottom, which is the top, since i have removed the top, which is the bottom.  I have a whole pile of SS vermin mesh which i use for brewing, so i am going to cut a bottom out of this.  None of my snips worked and the angle grinder was a bit industrial so got a nice new pair of aviation snips; red colour, left hand circle with serrations;

large.snips_page_1.jpg

The snips are the dogs danglies and went through it like butter. you can see my restraining tabsfolding over.

And now the photo from below or above if oyu like.  Hopefully this mesh, which is being glued in place, will restrain the roots, but most iportantly allow the bubbler to zoom up into the pot to aerate the roots;

large.mesh_page_1.jpg

The plan is to probably have the bottom inch of the pot in the resevoir solution and a circle bubbler directly below, so like the other hydro pot, but outside rather than inside.

So thats the root plan.

Training;

I plan a mani-fim (TM) technique.  Never tried either before, prefer the look of fimm, and thats all nebula does now, but it looks 'untrustworthy' for novices. I am going for bonsai style symettry so the first train will be a manifold, and once that is going well, i will FIM each manifold branch and hopefully go for 8 main colas. This seems a nice and pretty arrangement. I am tempted at a double FIM for potentially 16 main colas, but i think this will get raggedy.  At the end of the day, i will have to ask the plant anyhow.

I see the name gloria has gone, dagnabbit - one of my favourite names since we had a TVR named gloria.  So i am bagsying Wenona now.

List of things to do;

Rip everything down and out. Hahahahaha. Oh yes, full reset.

Fully insulate and fireproof the outside of the grow space.

Add ingress and egress ducting outside grow space.

Rearrange furniture, shelves etc around grow space.

Reinstall tent etc.

Make and install; resevoir, air pump and intakes and bubbles.  resevoir heater, extraction fan and ducting, heating, fans, controls.

Go skiing for two weeks.

Pop seeds; one in potnoodle, other in similar set up but with unrestricted roots.possible third in hempy bucket.

Its a tight schedule, but i grow in a shed so mid winter growing is a nightmare. Hopefully 50mm rockwool will be my saviour.

Newc

I really can't wait to see how this turns out. I must say, your winning so far for the amount of detail your including in this diary  :yep:

Best of luck dude. Bring it on  :headbang:

Kind regards  :bong:

Mark..

• Like 8

Alright there @Newcouch

Looking good on here.

Great ideas coming through but do you have the patience to see it through?

Only time will tell :skin_up:

The very best of lick with this one.

Take it easy. Jj :yinyang:

• Like 3

@Clumsy lol - but you are topping up the wrong end of the pot!!

@Seedstockers-Mark cheers

@Jibba jabba thanks for dropping by, oh wise one.

Do i have the patience?  Good and fair question.

I have had a few set backs;

a) I had been planning to have a legal prescription by a few weeks ago.  The appointment got delayed and delayed and when i finally did get through to the quack, despite him saying he was quick happy to write me a cannabis script, we both managed to talk our way out of it and try something else meantime. So i aint 'legal' as planned. Note; the delays in this process are ridiculous. I am still awaiting the prescription he set out three weeks ago - the bog standard one.

b)  I got 'busted' - twice. The first by my daughter who sat on the sofa and smirked and said 'what are you doing in xyz'? I had some nuggets out on the side so coninced her i had found them growing wild.  I was still not convinved she could smell anything - i couldnt.  Then a good mate last week went; 'what is that smell'? i still couldnt smell it, but lightning strikes or summat. now given that my mate was standing at the front door sniffing - and the amount of amazon, post, trade, dustmen etc who stand in that spot every day has really put the shits up me.

I had always planned a pause now, due to christmas holidays, but now i am having a rethink.  The grow is right by the front door. it is scaring me lots.

I have been reasonably lax re smell, but only because I genuinely couldnt smell anything - this is what is worrying me - why cant i trust my sense of smell?

So now planning a re-route and a double filter extraction.

• Like 6

Nose blindness is fucker, get virgin nose you can trust. That is only way I'm afraid. 

Also 100% Carbon filters are the way! Good luck. 

• Like 6

Found it growing in the wild lol

Remember that these plants can stink even in veg, 

because you are always subject to it you just don't notice it. 

Atb 

:yinyang:

• Like 8

20 hours ago, Newcouch said:

I got 'busted' - twice.

Ahhh no :nope: that’s shit mate, at least it wasn’t the filth smashing your door down.

Telling your daughter that you found it growing, why not just found it?

Maybe in a bag in the ally.

Being deaf in the nose is a very dangerous symptom of a heavy smoker,  as above get a nose virgin around who doesn’t smoke to give your gaff the sniff test, double check all your filters and fittings.

Its a dead give away the stink coming from a grow, it’s much stronger than someone smoking.

Take it easy. Jj :yinyang:

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

so, the entire grow was planned for early january since skiing in france over christmas.

that just got cancelled.

so i suppose i could wet a bean any moment.  But then i will have nosy bloody children about all the time.

difficult to make decisions when you are paranoid....

• Like 3

Well, thats it.

Cancelled. The Aussie Pot is dead.

If anyone remembers, the aussie pot was delayed until after christmas since, after lengthy discussion and option exploring on other threads, it was decided that i couldnt go skiing for two weeks in any stage of a grow.

So plan A was ski at christmas, wet beans early Jan - ticketyboo.  Except for the french (obv - no plan survives contact with the french).

Now that chirstmas is cancelled, i thought i could wet the beans early. clearly not thinking.  I still need to go skiing, lol.

Therefore we are back at the start with it being unavoidable that at some time in any grow commencing before april this year, i will abandon the plants for two weeks.

Cant do it, aussie pot is screwed.

Looks like my hard earned will have to go to the damned pharmacists, and i can start a summer grow when i get back from skiing - this also gives more time for the paranoia from previous smells and avoidance of future.

But, i have a cunning plan for aussie pot........dont go too far away...........

Newc.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

So, cunning plan in action.

Jan 1, as originally planned - seed in water for 48hrs.

Jan 3, into a vermiculite mix in a tiny cut down mesh basket. Probably a 5cm basket, with the top cut off to go inside the potnoodel - rules are rules!!! Mesh pot lined with that thin garden fleece stuff to stop the vermin falling out but to allow roots to grow - intention is completely mediul less, but need some support at this time.  mesh pot place in small glass with about 1cm of water in the bottom - about 1cm below seed. Tap water.

Jan 23 or thereabouts, seed sprouted. Hint hint.

Jan 27 decided to use fertiiser since other seeds in dirt doing better - EC about 0.5. Natural (after ph adjustment is 0.4), so very low. Using winter citrus fruit powder14 / 14 / 14 with full micro / macro nutrients. Its good stuff.

Wrapped mesh basket in tin foil since someone said this really encourages the seedlings early roots to build up within the esh basket - one tap root already visible out of the bottom.

Small hole poked into tin foil just less than 1cm above bottom = tinfoil hempy basket.

And here comes the photo of the cunning plan, i cant hide it anymore. what else can i do?

large.20220125_164233-1.jpg

so, you can see the tiny size of the mesh basket, the tinfoil bucket and the hempy hole.

You might spot something else, along with the germ times ---- answers on a postcard....

why is aussie noodle cunning?

Damn, what else could i do?

forgive me @Seedstockers-Mark !!!! this illegal growing is too stressfull at the moment due to the earlier issues, so this is the best  can do - proof of concept!!

Edited by Newcouch
pushed post too early!!!
  • Like 7

• 4 months later...
On 28/01/2022 at 0:25 PM, Newcouch said:

forgive me @Seedstockers-Mark !!!! this illegal growing is too stressfull at the moment due to the earlier issues, so this is the best  can do - proof of concept!!

No issue buddy. Life gets in the way from time to time  :(

Hopefully if we do a 2nd competition you can execute your daring hydro plan :yep:

Kind regards :cheers:

Mark..

• Like 2