Aussie Noodle

Newcouch

So, to summarise progress to date;

large.20211019_154742_page_1.jpg

Wedding glue and freebies arrived - many thanks Mark.

large.20211020_160143_page_1.jpg

Yay, the aussie noodle arrived @Whatwentwrong goddamn its only 114g. its like starting with one hand tied behind my back! lol.

Hole drilled in top for seed basket. Noodles visible.

large.20211020_160408_page_1.jpg

Yes i ate them- oh the nostalgia.

large.20211026_131331_page_1.jpg

And the first major problem with the aussie grow is that the pots arent self supporting since upside down. So planning three brackets rivetted to sides and with plastic surrund / shelf thing / bucket cover.

So, the aussie grow is an upside down bubbler set up - without medium. I figured that the taper is wrong for the roots. The roots fill the lower space and leave the ullage. Therefore if the pot is upside down then the bottom space is wider and less ullage is wasted - take that 117g pots!!!!!! back into the lead!!!!! /manic evil laughter.

Newc

• Like 17

Has anyone ever eaten those things not from the pot them come in before? I think you might be a ground breaker on more than one level here.

Best of luck with it lol 

• Like 9

Just now, KC said:

Has anyone ever eaten those things not from the pot them come in before? I think you might be a ground breaker on more than one level here.

Best of luck with it lol 

I have to agree here, living in the edge you are man.

Edited by Whatwentwrong
  • Like 5

Why the aussi pot rules:  a bit of maths.

The king potnoodle is basically three cylinders on top of each other.

Cylinder A (base if you are not in Aus)  67mm OD bottom, 79 OD top and height 104mm.  Volume = pi r^2 h = pi ((79-67/2 + 67)/2)^2 x 104 = 324193.2 mm^3

Cylinder B (second section) 79mm OD bottom, 83mm OD top and height 13mm. Volume = pi (83-79/2 + 67)/2)^2 x 13 = 66988.9 mm^3

Cylinder C (top section, bottom in Aus) 83mm od Bottom, 88mm OD top and height 14mm. Volume = 80 380.

Maximum volume (OD ignoring wall thickness) = A+B+C = 471 562.4 mm^3

Lost Volume, brit vs Aussie;

So, assuming that the top bit doesnt get roots (ullage = lost volume). And for the sake of ease, assuming this vertical ullage is 27mm by pure coincidence.

Brit gives us lost root volume = B+C = 147 369 mm^3

Aussie gives us the 67mm - 69mm OD base x 27mm = 98 055.3 mm^3

So excess volume of Aussie vs Brit = 147 369 - 98 055.3 = 49 313.7

HAHA!!!!  49313.7/471562.4 x 100 = 10.456%

AUSSIE POT WINS AN EXTRA 10.5% available root volume!!!!!!

Wow, that is more than i expected, and worth the considerable hassle (not), about which more later. Lets just say 'bastard' for the time being.

ftr 114g vs 117 g = 3g = 2.6% improvement. And anyhow i strongly suspect that the mass of the contents does not affect the shape of the pot, so volume is constant. where is the sticking out tongue, waggling fingers in the ear icon thing when you need it, lol.

• Like 12

pot noodle in a bowl

Upside down pot

precise volumetric calculations of the inner area of the pot via its three stage design.

It’s a wild ride this one. I love it, when is it gonna get cracking though. I wanna see a pot bubbler

only one issue I can see at the minute and that is few people will know what ullage is. I’ll leave it to you as a bit of dictionary corner is all that seems missing from this thread.

• Like 8

Just now, Whatwentwrong said:

pot noodle in a bowl

Upside down pot

precise volumetric calculations of the inner area of the pot via its three stage design.

It’s a wild ride this one. I love it, when is it gonna get cracking though. I wanna see a pot bubbler

only one issue I can see at the minute and that is few people will know what ullage is. I’ll leave it to you as a bit of dictionary corner is all that seems missing from this thread.

what you are seeing here is 30 yrs science experience applied to five minutes experience growing weed. unfortunately, practice >> theory, but i am certain i will be able to prove that my grow 'should, scientifically', be the best.

The bad news is that this long detailed preparation is for a good reason - i cant start the grow until 1 Jan. But i should beat the end April cut off. Two weeks skiing at christmas is a bitch.

Uh, ullage; - the unused portion of a cargo tank between the top of the cargo and the top of the tank.

• Like 5

ullage:

the amount by which a container falls short of being full.
  • loss of liquid, by evaporation or leakage.

Definitely an interesting theory, will be following along with this one for sure.
  • Like 4

On 27/10/2021 at 1:34 PM, Newcouch said:

AUSSIE POT WINS AN EXTRA 10.5% available root volume!!!!!!

Wow, that is more than i expected, and worth the considerable hassle (not), about which more later. Lets just say 'bastard' for the time being.

So, about the hassle.

Take an ordinary tapered pot, cut a hole and it sinks down and self supports.  With our aussie friend sits the opposite. Ao you need a support system, in eff all thickness plastic.  So; 90 degree brackets, landed on epoxt glue via a rivet compress.

haha.

large.20211026_203321_page_1.jpg

So, there will be three brackets, all measured, and this is the forst. Epoxy landing to spread the forces, then 4mm holes and a 4mm rivet backerd by a washer....

large.20211026_203338_page_1.jpg

Inside view. You can see the washer successfully on the top mount. it fell off foe the bottom mount.

Rivetting with thin plastics is an absolute nightmare.  add epoxy glue stickiness to the mix..........

• Like 5

LIDS - Triumph and DISASTER

Hi, attentive people might remeber i said i was going to cap the noodle with wire mesh.  However i have had all sorts of problems cutting it, so i thought; why not just use the real lid?

So, first - is the glue strong enough to hold thorughout the grow?

I thought i would do a quick hydrostatic test with hot water from the kettle;

large.6182d0605e27d_lidtest2_page_1.jpg

So, that worked - held ofr five os so minutes - no problem - quite unexpected and a nice surprise.

So, then to make the holes for air and water circulation;

large.6182d05f23d0a_lidserrations_page_1.jpg

Huzzah - going well. Again, the idea is to have the airstone outside the pot (unlike the other potnoodle - in order to save precious root space, but with roost still held in by pot.

Good thinking, you are thinking..........large.6182d05e66988_brokenlid_page_1.jpg

Bugger, got carried away and split it.  No choice but to remove the lid, and have the inside inscription laughing at me....

Finally, just for the record, a detail of my glued and rivetted support.  You cant see the glue weld - its there, its just that 'good'. iissm.

All supports and net pot.  Now just need some plastic shelving. and a resevoir. and everything else.

and aviation snips for the wire mesh = plan a.

Newc

large.6182d060ef2f1_supportdetailpage_1.jpgThat is a beautiful glue fillet weld!!!! Honest. Araldites best epoxy.

large.6182d05da336c_allsupports_page_1.jpg

• Like 7

Looks like you need to drill that hole a bit bigger or find a smaller net.

no root mass outside the pot remember. 

so that means no basket and pebbles dripping roots down into it. It all has to be inside Pebbles too.

Only the lip of the basket resting on the noodle would be allowed.

Edited by Whatwentwrong
  • Like 3

On 04/11/2021 at 9:07 PM, Whatwentwrong said:

Looks like you need to drill that hole a bit bigger or find a smaller net.

no root mass outside the pot remember. 

so that means no basket and pebbles dripping roots down into it. It all has to be inside Pebbles too.

Only the lip of the basket resting on the noodle would be allowed.

@Whatwentwrong  Yes, i am worried about this. I think the intent is that i only use the bottom half of the basket. The basket has a vertical median line. I intend to have this line level with the top of the potnoodle, as you can see in the photo, then all the roots will be within the potnoodle as per the comp.

Now obviously i have the same problem with the bottom, which is the top, since i have removed the top, which is the bottom.  I have a whole pile of SS vermin mesh which i use for brewing, so i am going to cut a bottom out of this.  None of my snips worked and the angle grinder was a bit industrial so got a nice new pair of aviation snips; red colour, left hand circle with serrations;

large.snips_page_1.jpg

The snips are the dogs danglies and went through it like butter. you can see my restraining tabsfolding over.

And now the photo from below or above if oyu like.  Hopefully this mesh, which is being glued in place, will restrain the roots, but most iportantly allow the bubbler to zoom up into the pot to aerate the roots;

large.mesh_page_1.jpg

The plan is to probably have the bottom inch of the pot in the resevoir solution and a circle bubbler directly below, so like the other hydro pot, but outside rather than inside.

So thats the root plan.

Training;

I plan a mani-fim (TM) technique.  Never tried either before, prefer the look of fimm, and thats all nebula does now, but it looks 'untrustworthy' for novices. I am going for bonsai style symettry so the first train will be a manifold, and once that is going well, i will FIM each manifold branch and hopefully go for 8 main colas. This seems a nice and pretty arrangement. I am tempted at a double FIM for potentially 16 main colas, but i think this will get raggedy.  At the end of the day, i will have to ask the plant anyhow.

I see the name gloria has gone, dagnabbit - one of my favourite names since we had a TVR named gloria.  So i am bagsying Wenona now.

List of things to do;

Rip everything down and out. Hahahahaha. Oh yes, full reset.

Fully insulate and fireproof the outside of the grow space.

Add ingress and egress ducting outside grow space.

Rearrange furniture, shelves etc around grow space.

Reinstall tent etc.

Make and install; resevoir, air pump and intakes and bubbles.  resevoir heater, extraction fan and ducting, heating, fans, controls.

Go skiing for two weeks.

Pop seeds; one in potnoodle, other in similar set up but with unrestricted roots.possible third in hempy bucket.

Its a tight schedule, but i grow in a shed so mid winter growing is a nightmare. Hopefully 50mm rockwool will be my saviour.

Newc

• Like 6