Cheap Accurate PAR Readings

MindSoup

200-400 seedling, 400-600 main veg, 850 flower. Over a 1000 you want carbon dioxide. @L3D

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 1

I can never be arsed to work out DLI, I just know what to run at what phase of the grow.

For seedlings: 300 (although I quite often just go straight to veg intensity, should be fine if you're environment is good, might not be the most efficient way though)

For veg: 550-650

For flowerimg at 12/12: 750-1000, 850 being what seems to be the sweet spot. 

Write down a little chart to stick on your tent and you can save the hassle of doing maths. 

I.e. 

300= 17647 

600= 35294

750= 44117 

1000 = 58823

And don't worry, it's a ball park thing you don't have to get it bang on the money. 

Bruce Bugbee/Apogee Intruments on YT is the place to look if you want to really go down the rabbit hole. 

• Like 1

@MindSoup - @catweazle1 - thanks!

So im probably under at 340 then! Ill lower the light or try it at 75%! The plants look happier within half an hour of going from 25 up to 50% Without the meter i would have left them on 25%!

Well handy! 

thanks ..:yinyang:

Edited by L3D
  • Like 2

Lowering your light to 6" (150mm) and setting your light intensity from there with your meter is the cheapest you can run your lights. I mostly work with a foot distance.

• Like 1

Cheers , Ive dropped the light down much closer than it was and left it at 50% gets my PAR up to 460 which is much closer for vegging! 

Ill see how they get on with that, the added bonus is that it has got my temps up a few degrees too!

EZ:yinyang:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

large.IMG_1236.jpegJust received my UNI-T UT383 from Shanghai. I'm going in blind and have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. I see there's an app for Bluetooth, not sure I need it, and by the looks of the reviews next to useless. Never used one, looking forward to all the electricity I can save by giving plants what they need and no more.. :D

Anyway, wish me luck. The rabbit hole has opened on what readings I should be look at/aiming for.. lol

As soon as I buy 3x AAA batteries I mean.. :guitar:

Anyone else using a UNI-T and have some tips?

Edited by Slippy One
  • Like 2

Super easy dude, the only thing that might catch you out is not noticing the X10 or x100 in the bottom corner of the display. First time I used I thought I was giving them like 60ppfd or something. 

• Like 2

Just out of curiosity, what number do plants like best? Or is that another debate entirely?! lol 

Just now, Slippy One said:

Just out of curiosity, what number do plants like best? Or is that another debate entirely?! lol 

Check out Catweazles and mindsoups earlier posts :)

My bad thought that had already been mentioned in this thread, must have been somewhere else. 

Luckily we've got a lot of solid science to go off thanks to the likes of Bruce Bugbee and Apogee Instruments (check him out on YT for the real rabbit hole). @MIGRO also has a lot of useful videos in a more simplified, easy to digest format. Between the two of them you can learn everything you could possibly need to know. 

In a nutshell: 

Seedlings 300

Veg 600

Flower 750-850

You can go higher in flower (1000 or so) before you start causing damage, but you start to get diminishing returns on yield Vs electricity costs.

E2A or maybe it was on here after all lol. @Slippy One, always read the whole thread before asking questions :nono:lol.

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

Changing pages is a luxury my 3 browsers can barely afford.. lol

Anyway, thanks for the info, good to know what plants prefer without the usual slagging match we hardly ever see these days.. :yep:

• Like 3

Aha yes, the old browser issues,I'll let you off this time :hippy:

Isn't it crazy, 3 whole pages and not a single swing of the handbag lol