Cheap Accurate PAR Readings

MindSoup

Yeah fuck off the iBebot AirComforts , the one I yeeted into a watering can is still dead after a few days in front of a radiator in the standard issue tub of rice.

:yinyang:

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

After cooking my latest crop with the lights too close (first time I've fucked up with leds for years)

I've just invested in the SpotOn Quantum PAR meter after watching a few vids about it on the tube.

£261 delivered, accurate to within 2% and half the price of apogees...

I've got the groom environment pretty much spot on and my grow system is working well so hopefully this will dial the lights in.

Early birthday pressie...:yep:

• Like 7

On 20/10/2021 at 2:04 PM, catweazle1 said:

I think, just read PAR light and not all wavelengths. 

par meters measure photons on all frequencies (in visible light) mate, i've seen them tested in all colours on bruce's vids, or did you mean ir etc?

8 minutes ago, stu914 said:

After cooking my latest crop with the lights too close (first time I've fucked up with leds for years)

I've just invested in the SpotOn Quantum PAR meter after watching a few vids about it on the tube.

£261 delivered, accurate to within 2% and half the price of apogees...

I've got the groom environment pretty much spot on and my grow system is working well so hopefully this will dial the lights in.

Early birthday pressie...:yep:

now i've got my tent/nutes etc pretty much dialled in i'm seriously considering getting one

Edited by ratdog
  • Like 2

Just now, ratdog said:

par meters measure photons on all frequencies (in visible light) mate, i've seen them tested in all colours on bruce's vids, or did you mean ir etc?

now i've got my tent/nutes etc pretty much dialled in i'm seriously considering getting one

@sn00py's got one and speaks very highly of it, his endorsement swung it for me...

Got to be worth it if everything else is as near to optimum as you can get...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, stu914 said:

@sn00py's got one and speaks very highly of it, his endorsement swung it for me...

Got to be worth it if everything else is as near to optimum as you can get...

i'm seriously looking at the apogee one, partly because i've been watching a load of their vids and have learned shitloads, well to me any way lol and i see @Ledgrowlights-Adam stock them but are out of stock atm, but they are between £180 cheaper than amazon on the mq 500, and the newer one is even cheaper! i'm hoping they can get it in stock again soon, Adam?

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, ratdog said:

i'm seriously looking at the apogee one, partly because i've been watching a load of their vids and have learned shitloads, well to me any way lol and i see @Ledgrowlights-Adam stock them but are out of stock atm, but they are between £180 cheaper than amazon on the mq 500, and the newer one is even cheaper! i'm hoping they can get it in stock again soon, Adam?

It's a worthwhile purchase I think, it's one of those things that you probably don't need to use often but it's so easy to over saturate with PAR (especially in veg).  Pretty sure it pays for itself all in all. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MindSoup said:

I saw this yesterday and ordered the Bluetooth lux meter... Was 27 quid online including next day postage

The app is pretty cool in that it calculates and shows you the dli in real time .. Turns out I'm oversaturating the clone tent with a 100 w led that is too close to the plants..

Will be interesting and useful to sort out the amount of light we're delivering..

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, desertshaman said:

I saw this yesterday and ordered the Bluetooth lux meter... Was 27 quid online including next day postage

The app is pretty cool in that it calculates and shows you the dli in real time .. Turns out I'm oversaturating the clone tent with a 100 w led that is too close to the plants..

Will be interesting and useful to sort out the amount of light we're delivering..

I've been using the UNIT-E in that vid (Multiply by 10 then by 0.017 to get umols) and had no issues at all with my plants using it. I've never used LED's before now. Been measuring a Scopex 350 and Lumatek ATS 300w. Some kind of light meter is useful as you can't judge LED like you can HID lights. I found out I was hammering the baby plants when I got the lights before using a meter. Worth having.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 6

I use the SpotOn Quantum PAR Meter which at 370 Euros is considerably cheaper that the Apogee. Got it from Migro and he reckons its his goto meter now. Results seem to tie up well with LED manufacturers claims so sticking with it.

• 1 month later...

alrighty, folks, sorry for bumping an old thread but thought id ask in here first before starting a new one. I'm thinking of getting a light meter of some sort, probably just a cheap one. I've got amazon vouchers to use up so was looking on there but they don't have the uni-t one from the migro videos. I saw this one and looked similar, in that you use it alongside an app. Not much in the way of reviews or videos other than a terrible promo video that didn't fill me with confidence lol 

Any thoughts or experience with that one 

It looks like a copy of another brand futurehorti fh-100 and they use the same pictures (that one sells for £169) but by the looks of it both the same cheap Chinese meter, with slightly different branding. Just watched the setup video for that one, think I will give these a miss lol 

Edited by Jams67

Just get the Uni-t geez, save your vouchers for something else. If money is a problem they're much cheaper on ali express.

• 8 months later...

@MindSoup - hope you don't mind me tagging you! I Just got a Uni T - Got a Zeus 600w pro in a 4 x 4 , Its hanging at about 28 inches above the plants..

Ive used the meter and got the following results:

@ 25% the lux is 10,500 x 0.017 = 178 par

@ 50% the lux is 20,000 x 0.017 = 340 par

Ive left it on 50% , will they be ok? Ive used a PPFD to DLI calculator from google and 340 over 20hrs comes back as 25 DLI, is that ok?

Thanks ! :yinyang:

Edited by L3D