Actually Light Proof Foamy Matting Stuff

MindSoup

Excuse the ridiculous title lol.

I've read on here that cooker hood carbon filter and or aquarium carbon foam/matting is light proof and good for air intakes, but I've ordered 2  different pieces and neither are even close. Can anyone tell me the specific thing I need to search for/buy?

E2A I have found these "Universal Round Carbon Charcoal Cooker Hood Carbon Filter" on ebay, which could be a winner, but I'd rather not waste more time finding out, and id rather use the big square mesh vent.

Edited by MindSoup

You can also use acoustic foam used on PA systems.it goes between the driver and grills .  It comes in various grades of % density.  I used it on boxes I didn’t want people to see the drivers used or sizes of ports.  You could use a torch and not see through the foam lol 

Edited by Arthur Mix
  • Like 2

The first bit I ordered actually resembled acoustic foam more than cooker hood filter, but unfortunately it was too thin, more like the stuff on a microphone pop filter. can you remember what density/thickness I need. 

Just now, MindSoup said:

Yeah I've seen those, they do look good, but I want something for my big square mesh vent. 

Robert Dyas cooker hood filter, around ten quid...

There's two sheets in the pack and I use both together...:yep:

• Like 3

Just now, MindSoup said:

Ironically they're out of stock lol

You can get the same stuff for less that a fiver off the bay,just search for "universal cooker hood carbon filter" and if the size says it is 57cm x 47cm then it's the same stuff,it's not 100% light proof though,meaning that you can see the light from the tent with eyes on but it doesn't really leak into the room or enough for people to see through curtains.

Edited by Rhubarb & Flustered

3 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

@Rhubarb & Flustered Yeah i tried the bay but what turned up wasn't even the right material lol I need something 100% light proof because I'll have lights on in the room when tent light is off.

Normal house lights don't penetrate it mate,I tested it by going in the tent with the room light on and couldn't see any leak.You can only see that the tent light is on because it's so powerful (400w in my case).

I just had another look/test for you and with it pressed up to my eyes I could just see that it was daylight,doubled it up and I couldn't see a thing.If what you got sent wasn't the right material then contact the seller and demand a refund,tell them that it would be a fire hazard if you put in into your cooker hood.

Edited by Rhubarb & Flustered
  • Like 1

Thanks geez thats very good of you to do, I'll get some on order, and hope this time it's the right stuff. Yeah I did message them about it, was only a fiver but like you say if I wasn't that bright and actually fitted it to a cooker hood it would have just melted all over my stove lol

Here's another question. What do you use to attach the filter to the tent? Gorilla tape doesn't want to stick to the fabric