Flushing in coco

Darknight420710

Hello all

When will I flush plants is the question. 

Put into flower 1/9 today is day35 /week 5

Flower time 49/56 days

No sign of any milky tricholms, buds look tiny but I dunno how to grow so probably ruined things along the way but it my own homegrown so I'm looking forward to it lol

Grow in coco and dont want to start early incase I make plant all yellow before time is up

Anyone advice 

• Like 2

Without pictures I'm guessing, but here's a stab in the dark if it's better than nothing...

Most strains finish up between 8-10 weeks, I take most of my vars at 65 days.  I aim to reduce feed at about day 57 and give only plain water for the last 5 days or so. 

Get pictures up if you want better help. 

Edited by fatboy77

They look like they've got a good month left.  I flushed for about 10 days on my last coco run, and that was too long IMO.  I started to see the yellow creeping onto the sugar leaves of the buds.  Fatboys advice of 5 days sounds right to me.  If this is from seed and not a cut you've grown before (so you don't know the exact finishing time) then I'd just start the flush when they look ready - the trichomes on the buds will be mostly cloudy with some amber. The harvest window is generally open for a good couple of weeks so you don't need to worry about them suddenly overripening while you're flushing, so just start watching those trichomes in a few weeks, and wait until they look ready. 

I feel I should point out that there's very little evidence to suggest flushing does anything of value other than saving you a couple of quid each run on nutrients. 

• Like 3

Thanks @OneMorePuff another 4wk it is then. 

I'll come back at end of October with more photos and take the advice and flush for 5 days. 

They are from seed and I di have another 3 quickush to do once these are done. Its just trying to time things as they is 2 hazes in the tent as well with 9/10 wi flower so no pics of those as they just look like Boris's hair on spitting image lol all white and fluffy 

Thank you for all advice 

• Like 1

First up, good job!  Sounds like you are a novice so nice work so far.  What are you feeding at the moment?

What do you understand the term flushing to mean?  You only really need to give plain, not pH adjusted, water for a week at most, using the normal volume of water.

Growers used to pump 5x the pot volume of water through, that's where the term flush came from.  That's what I would now call a rushed flush! 

Thanks @fatboy77definitly a novice and lots to lean and read up on.

Thus last week I feding about 3x a day and xoxo constantly wet, this week I'm doing 1 feed a day an I mix up about 10L and give each 11l pot approx 1.5l and get good run off from that. 

For 10/11l water I mix calmag to 0.4 ec then abiut 15ml canna A&B and 5ml Rhizo, 18ml cannazym, been trickle feeding pk13/14 an use around 8ml now and canna boost im overdosing around 30ml, ec 1.3 ph 6

Ec run off is aroumd 1.2/1.4 but 1 plant it is 1.8 and I think that might ve because ive intake of warm air being blown in around the pot.

I thought flush was straight water to a point ec same as tap going in and to get chemically taste away from flowers?

Thank y9u

Edited by Darknight420710

Just now, Darknight420710 said:

Thanks @fatboy77definitly a novice and lots to lean and read up on.

I thought flush was straight water to a point ec same as tap going in and to get chemically taste away from flowers?

You know what's going on, nothing wrong with any of that. 

Plain water for 5 days will bring my run off ec down to the same as my tap water.  Check yours near the end, if you need to just put more water through until you're there. 

• 3 weeks later...

I find tapering down the strength of my feed from around week 3/4 in flower till harvest instead of plain water flushing beneficial to the end product. Also reduces any drastic yellowing.

• Like 4

Thanks im now into week 8 and the buds seem to be getting bigger and taking @fatboy77  advice im feeding a total 0.8ec by mixing 12L water and putting in 6ml of A&B but still rhizo 3ml, cannazym 15ml, boost 30ml and base Ec to start is 0.4. 

2L in each plant growing in 11L pot x 2 daily

What I dont understand is this week 8 marlarky, im reading this is the week to fatten up but im confused as my quick kush is 7 to 8 harvest so should they not have went through the fattening up cycle around week 4  

Still haven't looked at those trichones and waiting on the hairs all going orange then ill start flushing just with ph as advised and hopefully that will only take 3 to 4 days as my A & B has been lowered. 

Week 8 pic to follow 

Edited by Darknight420710
  • Like 1

i want it to taste as good as possible so like @fatboy77said 7 days.

Hey fatboy77 if your background ec is .5 and after 6/7 days of flushing ec is at like .7 or .8 would that small difference be noticeable in the smoke? Im in recirculating so just wondered whether to dump the res again or not. thanks

Edited by Barnes
  • Like 1

hi mate 

Nice job your doing there

in all honesty there's plenty of energy

( nutrients) still left in them, just keep them on plain water now, let them be

so they just keep swelling up

• Like 1

@Darknight420710 as 4kali says leave them be now, plain un-phed water till the end.  Your leaves are dark and a touch shiney, so you may have had a slight over feed.  Your plants will still swell up as they use the food left in the medium first, then the plant.  That's when you'll see the colours fade.

@Barnes it's personal really.  For me, yes.  You don't start making the plant use its reserves until the medium is empty.  Then the plant will start to use the energy stored within.  When it has done that, if you haven't overfed, you will get the cleanest smoke.