Options for a 60x110x200cm space

resinbranch

Evening folks,

I’m currently planning a little

project to use an inbuilt cupboard within a bedroom. Figured it’d be best to use the space while available & whilst awaiting for a larger space to free up down the line.

Dimensions are W60xL110xH200. Originally I planned to use a 60x60x140 budbox tent, choosing that over a 50x100x180 tent I found online also. The latter at around £110 is over double the cost of the bud box. Cost isn’t much of an issue for something this size, but that price on a tent that size is a tad off putting tbh. 

I’m thinking that maybe a 60cm width might be a super tight fit - planning is to drill a hole through the wall to marry up with the lower port of the BB tent, using this for an intake fan. Outtake would be above the door of the cupboard itself, with my intention to use a dehumidifier in close vicinity of both the IT & OT. 

How does that seem on paper? If the constructed tent proved to be too tight of a fit, how about using it without the framework to effectively encapsulate the 60x60x140 space within the cupboard, building an external frame to pit it against & hold weight of filters / lights etc? 

alternatively, I’m now looking into sealing the door in order to convert the whole space entirely into a grow room. I’ve no prior experience of this however, & while

i think the intake & outtake would have to remain the same (unless I made the intake come through the loft above) my main concern with this is sealing the door in order to maintain it being smell proof akin to a tent.

While I’m on topic of this actually, I have another query around an idea I have for another space that I’m awaiting the go ahead on (150x150x220). I’m thinking it could be used for converting this cupboard also….

in short, is it feasible to butcher a tent to use the side with the zipper door as an internal secondary access panel for a converted grow room? My thinking is to build a slightly inset frame against the inner door frame of the cupboard, using some kind of sealant to attach & secure the tent panel to. After lining the walls with mylar, i envision it to be grow room / tent hybrid. 

The light currently planned for this space is either a Lumatek ATS 200w or an invisible sun ISH150 V2 EVO - I’ve decided on either one of these based on a 60x60 tent so may change if the whole cupboard space is used (the next models up for either brand).  

should mention In a 60x60 space my intention is to scrog a single plant (ideally no till but organic soil at least). 2 plants if the converted 60x110 space is pursued.

Any input on the above or otherwise is immensely appreciated. I’m all ears on all manners of such a project.

Over a decade-long lurker to get my hands dirty in order to get my tastebuds terpy….haha

Edited by SNM

Guest Donnyronny

Bin the tent and costs and just use the space mate, line the walls with white plastic or Mylar and work out a good extract. Your already making your own tent, no point paying extra for some thick plastic covered Mylar with zips thst you’ll probably cut out… 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SNM said:

I’m thinking that maybe a 60cm width might be a super tight fit

It is mate, if your space is 60 bang on I doubt you'll be able to wedge the tent in, you can use a hacksaw to trim say 10 or 20 mm off the end of the tent poles that make up the width, the tent material will be a bit slack but it'll still be light proofed properly which is what I assume you're trying to achieve rather than just growing in the cupboard itself as mentioned above.

• Like 1

The negative pressure is what keeps the smell in so don't need to make the door air tight or anything, just light proof, which can be as simple as hanging a blackout curtain over the front of it/ behind it. Every cubic inch helps in this game and you'll save some money to boot. I'd say your better to intake from inside the house as you'll have warmer, more stable air temps and extract  into the loft. You may well not need a dehumidifier if you have enough air exchange. 

I've got an invisible sun ISH100 and its a great bit of kit, well built and great customer service, but I dare say you might get a better deal from the guys at ledgrowlights.co.uk (site sponsor), they will also advise you on the best light for your space. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

I'd just use the cupboard, the tent is a waste really. 

Not sure i'd fancy trying to scrog in it though, access would be terrible to the back. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the responses folks.

Mylar (diamond reflective) with the waterproof ground sheeting is the route I’m going. Don’t think the extra cost compared to white mylar is all that needed

for what I’m doing, but I read that it helps lower risk of heat spots as well as increasing reflected light on the edges by approx 20. Either way it’s still working out around 2/3s the cost of a tent.

2 questions on lights & carbon filter / fan size please. This space is probably only for a crop or two with the outlook to upscale it a 1.2 space down the line next year. While a small veg or mother

tent will be used alongside, I’d ideally like to

repurpose much of the equipment from this 1.1x0.6 space (more 0.9x0.6 if I’m to account for maneuverability).

for lights I’m on looking at a few - invisible sun ISH260W V2, the Par+ 240W, an Exolux Pro Gemini 220w & a Telos10 Pro.

all are adequate for the space I’ll be using & it looks to be a case of doubling up to kit out a future 1.2x1.2 project. I’m tempted by the Invisible Sun & Telos, but the Exolux is appealing due to cost. Any input on which you’d prefer & why?

for the carbon filter & fan, my calculation for needed CFM is 139. I’d be looking at something around 220 to dial it down, but would there be any issue in sizing up to one that would be used in a 1.2 space with it dialled tosmaller space in the meantime? Noise is paramount, as is function. Ideally wanting to oversize it & over pay for what I need at present, but to use it down the line. Sooner pay more now than have gear potentially sitting in storage after having to

rebuy.

Intake & outtake is looking to be in the bedroom itself, though it’s feasible to either duct the outake to the landing or vent into the loft within the space (once a ceiling is replaced in one  

of the other bedrooms - minor set back but ploughing on regardless haha).

On side note - the patience in anyone who reads through my posts is appreciated….no judgement on anyone who looks at the wall of text & decides to run haha

Edited by SNM

For a light I'd see what @Ledgrowlights-Adam can do for you. Will likely be the best price you can get and brilliant CS. 

As far as fan and filter goes bigger is definitely better so definitely get something easily capable  of a 1.2 and just turn the speed right down. AC infinity make really good quality near silent fans, one of their 6 inch fans should do the job. They offer a few options for controllers, the S6 comes with a manual speed control included, but they also do the "controller 67" which is a lot smarter, set you temp and humidity and it will speed up and down as and when it needs to, it also keeps track of you're data. They also do T series fans, which look like a good idea, but the controller that comes with them isn't quite suitable for a grow room so best avoided. The LEDGROWLIGHTS UK boys also stock AC infinity stuff as well. 

There are other brands worth looking at, people rate the Toolzy fans which are a slightly cheaper option although they're not quite as quiet. Other options as good or better all cost a fair bit more money. 

You definitely want to extract to outside if possible, but failing that as far away from where you intake as you can or you could get issues with high humidity/temps , the loft would be a good compromise. 

• Like 3

I wouldn't bother spending all that money on mylar, not if the cupboard is in use for just 2 grows. Flat white paint is what i'd use or just the white plastic you can buy from the g/shop. 

As for the lights I'd go for one that's made in the UK preferably which 3 out of 4 of your options are I believe. The telos is sweet but a good bit more money. I'd buy the par240 then buy another light if you expand. 

6 inch fan with speed controller is the way to go, gives you room for the future. 

• Like 2

Agree with @KC,

don't waste money on mylar.

The info about Mylar avoiding hotspots is with regards to using HPS etc,

with LEDs flat white(paint) is best :yep: 

Atb

:yinyang:

• Like 2

@KC & @Shumroom

noted to skip the extra cost on mylar - I’ll opt for the black / white sheeting however as I’d prefer to line the interior with something water proof. Really appreciate your input on that though folks. Saves me nearly £3 per m.

As for a light I’m still on the fence so

will do some further digging. There’s a chance I can snag a good discount on a Telos 10 so it may sway me but the Exolux still would be around £100 cheaper. First world problems ey 

@MindSoup

thanks for the shout on the AC Infinity gear. From what I’ve been reading & working out what I need it sounds good for the money - especially the controller, which sounds ideal.

couple questions on fan / filter size & the controllers:

I’ve worked out that the required CFM for a 1.2 tent, including increases for resistances, to be 389 (663m3). so the Cloudline S6 is on my list which has a CFM rating of 402 (683m3). The cupboard space itself has a CFM of 173 (295m3), which is a 43% decrease in required airflow of the S6 filter.

Can the S6 be restricted to max 50% output using the manual controller? Reason I ask is that I’m looking at a 15x33cm CarboAir 50 filter to fit width ways, which has a max airflow of 600m3 - lower than the 683m3 max output of the CL S6 fan. The next size up in filter (>1000m3s) is workable to fit length ways but ideally I’d like to fit by width to save having to use a 90degree bend to duct out. Down the line I’ll buy another filter that’s adequate for the 1.2 space, so in the meantime wanting to use a filter that’s enough for the space being currently used.

As for intake - i’m looking at doubling up on the S6, & dialling that down by 25% of what’s worked out to be needed for outtake of the space (50% of outtake is 202CFM / 331m3, so minus an additional 25% of that would be 151CFM / 248m3). That may need to be recalculated actually as it factors in all the resistances of the outtake fan, but I’m presuming I’d be able to dial the in take down further if need be (as in I get it wrong & need to run it on low haha). 

There was a question I had on the Controller 67 but it’s evaporated from memory right now - think I’ve melted a bunch of synapses both in writing this & reading it back….apologies in advance if it has the same effect to those reading 

Edited by SNM

So with the controller supplied with the s6 you can just manually set a speed from 1 to 10 and it will stay there so yes you could have 2 s6s and just make sure the extraction is always on a higher setting. The 67 will control both fans simultaneously keeping the temp and humidity in check while maintaining negative pressure. 

Also I'm not sure how you're working out your required cfm? Those number don't seem to make sense in my head. According to my maths 1.2x1.2x2.4 is 128 cubit feet and that air needs replacing every 5 minutes or (with perfect intake temp/ humidity so of course headroom is a good idea for hot/humid days) so you're required CFM is a lot a lower than what you have written. One of us is confused, I'm no mathematician so may well be me lol. 

Luckily you wont have to worry about it because the fans will work it all out for you lol.  You cam set a maximum air flow as well to ensure your CF doesn't get too much.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SNM said:

I’ve worked out that the required CFM for a 1.2 tent, including increases for resistances, to be 389 (663m3). so the Cloudline S6 is on my list which has a CFM rating of 402 (683m3). The cupboard space itself has a CFM of 173 (295m3), which is a 43% decrease in required airflow of the S6 filter.

Yeah something is wrong here,  a m³ is bigger than a f³

But anyway it doesn't matter, 2 S6s will be plenty enough for your space. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

Just now, MindSoup said:

Yeah something is wrong here,  a m³ is bigger than a f³

But anyway it doesn't matter, 2 S6s will be plenty enough for your space. 

I should have mentioned I used a CFM>m3 converter haha. Thanks again though dude :yinyang:

24 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

So with the controller supplied with the s6 you can just manually set a speed from 1 to 10 and it will stay there so yes you could have 2 s6s and just make sure the extraction is always on a higher setting. The 67 will control both fans simultaneously keeping the temp and humidity in check while maintaining negative pressure. 

Also I'm not sure how you're working out your required cfm? Those number don't seem to make sense in my head. According to my maths 1.2x1.2x2.4 is 128 cubit feet and that air needs replacing every 5 minutes or (with perfect intake temp/ humidity so of course headroom is a good idea for hot/humid days) so you're required CFM is a lot a lower than what you have written. One of us is confused, I'm no mathematician so may well be me lol. 

Luckily you wont have to worry about it because the fans will work it all out for you lol.  You cam set a maximum air flow as well to ensure your CF doesn't get too much.

So i worked out the baseline CFM to be as 1.2x1.2x2.2=112.6

adding 20%, 60%, 20% & 50% according to the calculation on the AC Infinity site:

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-238e9/product_images/uploaded_images/ventilation-guide.-artwork4.jpg

I haven’t measured the heat output of the LED light as still on the fence as to which to go for, so left it at 50%.

so with the restrictions in the airflow input as in that calculation I believe that takes my required CFM up to 389 (112.6x1.2x1.6x1.2x1.5). I’ll double check it all with that I wrote on paper though - better to measure 5 times to cut once & all that jazz haha. 

that said, with your input on the two S6s I’m pretty confident they’ll be more than enough & just require a little tweaking via controller when all set up. That’s great to hear about the ability to set each one at a fixed restriction & letting the smart controller do it’s work with on the fly adjustment to humidity/temps. If we ever cross paths in person I owe you a cheeky smoke or dab. Legend :yinyang:

Edit: can I double check something too - going by the above, the CFM for the current space is173 (1.9x3.6x7.4ft = 50BLCFM, 50x1.2x1.6x1.2x1.5=173, which is 292m3). Is a carbon filter with a max airflow of 600m3 more than enough? Or would it be a case of using a filter that’s inline with the max airflow of the fan? As discussed i’ll be dialling it down for the size of the space but don’t wana purchase a filter that’s incorrect for the fan. My thinking is it’ll be fine & once the 1.2 tent is underway it’d be a case of buying a larger

filter for the space. Makes sense in my mind but it’s turned to soup & just wana be certain haha

Edited by SNM

Re: Controller 67,

You need to undersized your intake fan. 

Fwir, 

I'm pretty sure that if you are using a 6"extractor fan then you should use a 4" for the intake in order to maintain negative pressure. 

Check the details before you buy :)

Atb 

:yinyang:

• Like 3