Anyone using Grovebags to cure

Slippy One

Hi, just curious to see if anyone has experience with these types of plastic TerpLoc tech bags for their harvest. I know they're difficult to find in the UK, if not at all, but all I hear are good things about them.

No need for boveda packs, self regulating smellproof bags, designed to keep buds fresher for longer. 

I''d be interested to see if anyone else has experience with these,,they're a good price too, only a few dollars each for the 1lb bags :yep:

• Like 2

I can't see any UK stockists. Is there a similar retail product here? Might be good to do a side by side with the jars..As the black bags are light proof too :yep:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Slippy One said:

I can't see any UK stockists. Is there a similar retail product here? Might be good to do a side by side with the jars..As the black bags are light proof too :yep:

I use the masterdam jars (black/blue UV Glass) for final getting ready to 'smoke' cure and the clear glass ones never see the light of day.....the cure is one of the easiest bits to get wrong imo :yep:

The product that goes in the Grove bags has to be at the right stage and humidity b4 it goes in the bag....tbh Ive never had to store it that long as I have smoked or eaten it waaaaayyyyyy b4 it gets past its best lol 

• Like 6

Seymour horticulture have grove bags, stuck 86g in 1 bag and 2w later come out at 83.5g but kept % consistent as had % guage in bag as well. 

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

I put my previous couple of plants in Grove  Bags. 
initially I didn’t hear seal and kept a little hygrometer to keep an eye - after a couple of weeks it was the same 60% so I put about an zip of each strain in each bag and heat sealed. They have been in there about 6 weeks now and still hanging at 60% 

the bits I am pulling out of the non heat sealed bags taste great, I feel it keeps the flavour better than the boveda- also when pressing the dab defibatelyvtastes better. 

kets see how the ounce bags come out when I deceive you open one - but so far so good. 

• Like 3

I'm interested in these for long term storage. I've read quite a few reviews on other discussion boards and most of it seems positive. My main problem is during the drying stage, either over or under dried depending the time of the year. 

• 4 months later...

@zaaboot_1 How are you finding these Grove bags after a few months? I'm guessing that stash is gone by and you might have an opinion either way by now but I'm considering some of these myself as there are only so many Kilner jars one man should own.

Hey there DeltaMelter, all I can say is get some. 

I have out the buds in to the bags at various stages between 58-62% RH which is not the best method but works for me - the buds that were heat sealed (some still are) from the first set of bags are looking great and the RH shows it is very consiustent.

I opened a few new flavours the other day, all grown chopped mid 2021, they were all between 6 and 9 months old. They came out tremendous, nothing was lost - the terps had come to life, and the bud itself was grand, fluffs up beautifully in the grinder. For me most importantly though I the preservation and in my mind the improvement of the smells and flavours. 

The other thing I noticed is, if they are not heat sealed and the bag is used as a daily or weekly bag - they can dry up quickly. 

So now, I split the buds, long term storage gets heat sealed right at the top - this way you can cut just under the one, take out a months worth then re-heat seal. Also, I didn't like the Jarless bags I found them too small and fidgety for daily use so my trusted jam jar still lives. 

Many many many kilner jars have now been rehoused 

• Like 9

@zaaboot_1 Brilliant thank you. I think I will try these, I'm looking at trying to build up a longer-term stash so I can quit growing for a bit so I'm looking at these as well as vacuum sealing and freezing too.

One other thing - do these bags leak any smell? As they exchange gases I would imagine they leak a tiny bit?

• Like 1

On 6/7/2022 at 1:25 PM, zaaboot_1 said:

the buds that were heat sealed (some still are) from the first set of bags are looking great and the RH shows it is very consiustent.

What do you use to heat seal them? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there DeltaMelter, all I can say is get some. 

I have out the buds in to the bags at various stages between 58-62% RH which is not the best method but works for me - the buds that were heat sealed (some still are) from the first set of bags are looking great and the RH shows it is very consiustent.

I opened a few new flavours the other day, all grown chopped mid 2021, they were all between 6 and 9 months old. They came out tremendous, nothing was lost - the terps had come to life, and the bud itself was grand, fluffs up beautifully in the grinder. For me most importantly though I the preservation and in my mind the improvement of the smells and flavours. 

The other thing I noticed is, if they are not heat sealed and the bag is used as a daily or weekly bag - they can dry up quickly. 

So now, I split the buds, long term storage gets heat sealed right at the top - this way you can cut just under the one, take out a months worth then re-heat seal. Also, I didn't like the Jarless bags I found them too small and fidgety for daily use so my trusted jam jar still lives. 

Any regular cheap heat sealer from the water site works fine. 

Many many many kilner jars have now been rehoused 

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

Been looking at these a while, will probably give these a go soon. Daily burping is such a pain in the arse I rarely bother anymore.

I usually use large vacuum bags to cure and store long term. A while back i had am idea and in an attempt to 'auto-burp' I'd simply fill the bag with air instead of vacuuming in out so the gasses could still escape. I have no idea whether it made a difference but having huge weed filled balloons in my relatively small grow space was absolutley ridiculous so I swiftly stopped doing that lol

Anyway, from what I understand the bags use a material that allows gases to pass but not moisture is that right? Looked at their website but its full of corporatesque american marketing speak I can't stomach so gave up lol

Anyone use bovedas with them?

• Like 2

@BushDoctoR I haven't burped weed in years now, I really think it's pointless when the weed is dry. I just dry, destalk, trim then vacuum pack. It's banging (in my totally biased opinion) lol 

Burping is for when people jar it too early imo.

I do want to try these bags out too though.

• Like 3