10 Do's and don't of NFT

HazyHashMan

47 minutes ago, 4kali said:

i honestly cant see how you struggle rooting in rockwool compared to any other substrates

Probably too wet...  shake those plugs out so there is minimal water in them.  Forget the rooting powder/gel, not needed. 

Strike rate for me is 100% 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BeardedBeardiae said:

I know it's not the done thing but if you had to could you root cuttings in a spongy Root it cube and then place it in a larger rockwool ntf system ?

Only asking cos i struggle to get cuttings to root in the rockwool cubes, and know very little about hydro

you are probably struggling with the rockwool, because it holds too much water. id be using a root it cube, or a pot of coco, unless of course its going into NFT. if you MUST use rockshit, dont have it sitting in water...ever...spray it, but shake out the excess.

i fucking hate rockwool, its the spawn of the devil for hydro imho....

Edited by badbillybob
  • Like 4

Just now, badbillybob said:

its the spawn of the devil for hydro imho....

Seconded...horrible fucking stuff, isn't it also high ph? 

If I was starting out growing NFT wouldn't be the system I'd choose, far to unforgiving...

• Like 2

i agree, its too fine a a line in NFT. the local hydro shop bloke recommends it to novices for thier first grow too FFS.

There must be a huge mark up on them. dwc is far easier, and you dont have to support the plant as it grows. 

i also think the res is too small to keep theph and ec stable, without messing about with it all the time. 

i tried NFT a few times, but always ran into issues...i know some folk can knock it out of the park with NFT, but im not one of them

• Like 4

Just now, badbillybob said:

always ran into issues

Me too, I started out with NFT on recommendation but never really got to grips with it so adapted the table with pots, pebbles and top watering.

Had a go at flood and drain which had it's own issues and for the last few years DWC, again this system also has drawbacks.

Just about to fire up a new DIY hybrid system which should deal with lots of these issues...default_thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, badbillybob said:

i agree, its too fine a a line in NFT. the local hydro shop bloke recommends it to novices for thier first grow too FFS.

There must be a huge mark up on them. dwc is far easier, and you dont have to support the plant as it grows. 

i also think the res is too small to keep theph and ec stable, without messing about with it all the time. 

i tried NFT a few times, but always ran into issues...i know some folk can knock it out of the park with NFT, but im not one of them

First system I bought on the recommendation o the shop in Aberdeen was the gt205 the tank now get used as a runoff tray lol

E2A for seeds n rockwool a rule o the thumb for me was to pre soak the cubes n squeeze em out so they were mostly just damp then spray to keep damp

Edited by McHazy
  • Like 4

Just now, McHazy said:

First system I bought on the recommendation o the shop in Aberdeen was the gt205 the tank now get used as a runoff tray lol

E2A for seeds n rockwool a rule o the thumb for me was to pre soak the cubes n squeeze em out so they were mostly just damp then spray to keep damp

aye, thats the boy...

there must be loads of them cluttering up lofts and sheds throughout the north east hahaha

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies folks.

I have used Owd's guide for rockwool but maybe not squeezing/shaking enough water out...

Hopefully just trial & error I'll get it right soon.

@badbillybob Shop in woodside aye?

Or the other one down the back o the arches?

The arches one always seemed to me to be aimed at the more how shall we say commercial grower what wi the six foot fuckin filters fillin the place lollol

Edited by McHazy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mysticriver said:

Please do bro - ive always been interested in NFT

mystic 

I'll just post to remember the thread lol

Cheers for info

I remember when my mate started growing it was all nft pretty much, mud growers too obviously but the hydro side was all nft. My friends was made out of things from the aquarium shop mind but that's neither here nor there.

I think it’s on Owd’s guide that says put rockwool in a bucket and spin around, I used to use the grit guards for me car washing as well :yep:

I think it’s on Owd’s guide that says put rockwool in a bucket and spin around, I used to use the grit guards for me car washing as well :yep:

Edited by Flamedodger
Oops don’t know how that happened