first try at cloning

RUFUS HOUND

5 minutes ago, Kickstand said:

Small party cups plastick container with lid misted left for 2 weeks in bottom of the veg tent job done. The only real knack is not wetting the soil to much.

do you a make holes in the bottom of the cups mate? i use these, and they are the bollocks for clones, if they take longer than advertised they will not dry out too much in 3 weeks at least, i have about a 95% hit rate, way higher than just a propagator

• Like 1

@ratdog yh mate I do put a few holes in the bottom, they take longer to strike if the the soil is too wet so it helps with some areation and if its too dry they can suck some water up from the bottom without disturbing the top. I do it by heating an old screwdriver on the hob stack the cups and melt straight through the lot 

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Kickstand said:

@ratdog yh mate I do put a few holes in the bottom, they take longer to strike if the the soil is too wet so it helps with some areation and if its too dry they can suck some water up from the bottom without disturbing the top. I do it by heating an old screwdriver on the hob stack the cups and melt straight through the lot 

me too ;)

and i agree on wet/too dry, looks like we were both developing the same technique at the same time :)

• Like 1

I use the tiny playdo pots with holes drilled at the bottom. (Daughter left the lids off and it dried up, so I kept the tubs).

You can fit a jiffy perfectly in these, or just fill them with soil.

Edited by Tegridy Farms
  • Like 1
13 minutes ago, ratdog said:

me too ;)

and i agree on wet/too dry, looks like we were both developing the same technique at the same time :)

you know what they say mate great minds think alike and all that:smoke:

lol

• Like 1

2 of my clones have a small bit of hairy white mould on the soil, is this anything to worry about ?,

I did add a little myco to the surface before spraying the soil surface and bagging up, could it be that or is it too  humid for them ?

• Like 1
On 05/09/2021 at 4:53 PM, RUFUS HOUND said:

I will look into these in the future but Im a tight wad and prefer free or low cost options.

There are quite a few cheap diy solutions - aspirin, saliva, apple cider vinegar and my personal favourite willow juice .

I watched a video a while back of some American ladies gardening channel, she did side by sides with rooting powder, rooting gel, a bunch of other alternatives, and just plain water. There was barely any difference in the rate of rooting at all. It wasn't cannabis (can't remember the species) but it still counts for something. IIRC Rooting hormones are created  at the top of the plant and sent down, the stems, that's how air layering works with trees etc, so it wouldn't surprise me if there's little to no need for any of those fancy additives. Incidentally I've got some polka dot begonia and wandering jew (silly name I know) cuttings I just rooted in cups of water, and they're looking great, no cloche or propagator on them, just sat on my bathroom counter by the window.

Now I'm definitely not saying throw the guidebook out the window, but definitely have a go at bending the rules from time to time, find the boundaries for yourself with some spare cuts or whatever. I'm definitely gunna try some side by sides at some point. 

• Like 3
13 hours ago, RUFUS HOUND said:

2 of my clones have a small bit of hairy white mould on the soil, is this anything to worry about ?,

Could well be mycorrhizal, but hard to be totally sure, keep an eye on it I guess. 

Basically until they have roots, some strains root much faster than others so wait until you see some at the drainage holes. It's not a bad idea to introduce a small amount of air by cutting the bag at the corner rather than just taking them out and shocking them. This is after they're rooted though. 

• Like 2

On 9/5/2021 at 4:53 PM, RUFUS HOUND said:

I will look into these in the future but Im a tight wad and prefer free or low cost options.

There are quite a few cheap diy solutions - aspirin, saliva, apple cider vinegar and my personal favourite willow juice .

Havent used any rooting aids for years whether it's in a light homemade compost mix or in rooting cubes. I bet over the last 500 cuttings I've had perhaps 10 not strike, maybe less. 

Used to use rooting powder. Then went onto aloe. Actually have better results using fuck all than I ever did. 

Good luck with the clones fella. I'm sure they will be fine.

• Like 4

well, good old spit seems to work as well - 7 days later and still looking healthy and havent lost a single one, in fact after another pruning session I now have another 10 sitting in a glass of water - I dont know why Im doing it as I have no space for the 4 I have already 

large.IMG_20210909_215540.jpg

• Like 4

@RUFUS HOUND
I came across these on the Internet. Cardboard Wardrobes

large.613bdbac86cb0_Screenshot_20210910-231334_AmazonShopping.jpg

They might come in handy as a temporary clone/mother tent if you get a cheap LED grow light. I hear clones/Mothers don't need much grow light power.

If not could make for a DIY dry box so you can get the next grow in 2 weeks earlier into your main tent while buds dry in the box. Could cut a hole and join the duct to your main tent so your carbon filter can deal with he smell.

Found this when looking for my own planning and thought I'd share it here as it might help:yep:

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 4