wasp nests

badbillybob

how do i get rid of it?

its about the size of half a football, and itsdown the bottom of my shed, stuck to a rafter?

any ideas?

will they just fuck off when it gets cold?

theres hundreds, if not thousands of the fuckers.

Screwfix sell a poisonous foam stuff in a can you can spray from a distance I think mate.

My landlord used it in another of his gaffs last year he was telling me :yep:

Just now, badbillybob said:

how do i get rid of it?

its about the size of half a football, and itsdown the bottom of my shed, stuck to a rafter?

any ideas?

You will need to get rid of it professionally. Costs about 50 notes if memory serves me correct. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DO IT YOURSELF

They will, of course die off naturally but I wouldn't go anywhere near it. They can and will be aggressive if they feel the hive is being threatened. We had one in an old bird box which was close to the house. The person who got rid of it said they won't bother you whilst they build the nest, but don't bank on enjoying outside in late summer. Interestingly once the wasps do die off they won't use the hive again.

Edited by Larry Badgeley
  • Like 3

how do i get rid of it?

any ideas?

Brief introduction: the wasp's nest
Wasps build a new wasp nest every year. This is also necessary because only queens survive the winter. As soon as spring arrives, they build a new nest. The way a wasp's nest is built and the appearance of a wasp's nest differs per species of wasp. 

What all wasps do have in common is the opening of their nest: it is always located at the bottom of the nest: this way no moisture can run into the nest and the heat is better preserved...

The wasp control is mainly done by certified companies. This is because a wasp fighter has the right materials for that, such as a wasp suit that protects against the wasp stings. There are also people who do wasp control themselves. This is fine, but keep in mind that wasps come out with only a little bit of danger around the wasp's nest with dozens. That certainly results in dozens of stitches that can have serious consequences. 

If you are stung by a wasp and you are allergic, it is important to get to the hospital as soon as possible to receive antibodies. After all, a wasp sting often leads to swollen airways in case of allergy, so that suffocation threatens. If you are going to do the wasp control yourself, do this when it is dark: then most wasps are in the nest and you have the best chance of success in the wasp control. 

In any case, do not use a lamp because they immediately come to the light.

Edited by DutchFox
  • Like 1

They'll probably all be dead (except for the queen) in about a month or 2 and they don't return to the same spot apparently.

If at all possible I'd just leave them alone. 

They're voracious predators and also pollinators - gardeners friends.

• Like 4

ach fuggitt, ill leave em then another month or two wont be long in passing. 

heres the nest, it looks funky as fuck, but i still hate the stinging wee b*stards

large.1.jpg

• Like 7

I've got a wasp nest in the air brick that is my grow room vent! Before I remembered there's a bug filter between inside and outside I thought 'holy cow is the nest in the ducting?!' Nest will be in the wall cavity.

The nest is probably slowing down now, once the grubs are all hatched the workers have less to do and become more of a nuisance to us as they're bored - and sometimes drunk on fermenting fruit juice too. I think my filter is doing a reasonable job otherwise they could be stoned too - which might be better than drunk and up for it :)

• Like 1

Guest Donnyronny
9 minutes ago, badbillybob said:

ach fuggitt, ill leave em then another month or two wont be long in passing. 

heres the nest, it looks funky as fuck, but i still hate the stinging wee b*stards

large.1.jpg

That’s a decent size one mate! 

thry fuck off toward the end of September when I get them.  Had plenty over the years and I’ve never tangled with a gang of wasps in my life.  They are vindictive little fuckers. 

I'm firmly in the "Keep Calm And Carry On" camp.

If they're not actually hindering you in any way leave them to it.

I come across loads of mostly extinct nests in my job (plumbing) when I lift floorboards and go in lofts etc.

They are the most beautiful delicate structures.

The only time I remember having any concern with an active nest was when I was soldering in a loft.

I did the soldering in short bursts and retreated till they'd calmed down enough for me to go back in and do the next bit.

• Like 3

I spray and run when they end up on my house. One of my dogs is allergic to stings. Need to be fast though and would pay a professional if I wasn’t such a skinflint. 

55 minutes ago, badbillybob said:

ill leave em then another month or two wont be long in passing. 

:notworthy: 

i have had them before, they are fascinating :)

only ever got stung once by them, back in the 4th year at secondary school, it was fuck all tbh

Edited by ratdog
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, highdihigh2 said:

They'll probably all be dead (except for the queen) in about a month or 2 and they don't return to the same spot apparently.

If at all possible I'd just leave them alone. 

They're voracious predators and also pollinators - gardeners friends.

I have had to destroy nests in the same spot every year in my old wooden shed , i can watch them taking the dry old wood off the planking for pulp when they start building , i then knock off the small nests   till they give up for the season as my bikes are in there (not the reccomended way as you need to be fastmoving)

• Like 1