New Cabinet Build

yabbah

2 hours ago, yabbah said:

my fan is the AC Infinity Cloudline 4". Looks very similar to your fan up there but not sure if they're the same brand

That explains why, totally different brand. Yours in vastly superior, also own a Infinity Cloudline on my smaller tent (extraction) but with manually operated eight speed controller. Cannot say enough good things about these extraction devices, plenty of variable speed settings and so quiet. On the lowest settings if it wasn't for the air being blown out of the device you'd think it wasn't operating it's that quiet. You've gone for the next model up with environmental control, expensive but very much worth it. On the off chance you've not owned one of these before you've made an excellent choice.

I'll follow this thread as historically your name along with several others pops out in my mind as not only knowledgeable but helpful also. Somewhat of a rare combination :unsure: 

• Like 3

@Poisonatathe AC Infinity Controller 67 is about £50 and can easily hook up a Chinese generic EC PWM fan like the Toolzey (AC Infinity copy). You'll need to have a basic understanding of electrics but we can help you wire it up. :yep:

• Like 2

Just now, Slippy One said:

@Poisonatathe AC Infinity Controller 67 is about £50 and can easily hook up a Chinese generic EC PWM fan like the Toolzey (AC Infinity copy). You'll need to have a basic understanding of electrics but we can help you wire it up. :yep:

Thank you. Didn't realise it came as a separate module. My generic Chinese fan serves as an active intake only. Think it was only 30 quid, run continually for 2.5 years without a peek.

• Like 1

You'll like the Controller 67, it's takes 2x fans using a molex connector and operates both fans to keep negative pressure. :D

11 hours ago, MindSoup said:

what brand is your one? Always good to know of a half decent budget fan.

Was unbranded. The seller had them originally on eBay, then Amazon. Periodically pop up but a quick look just revealed no obvious sellers. Shame as for the price it's pretty decent, love the fact it has inbuilt speed controller.

But they always look like below irrespective of seller.

large.Capture.JPG

Just a quick scan for 'inline fan variable speed', quite a few available now. When I bought it getting a fan with a built in controller was more problematic as extremely limited selection unless you wanted to pay upwards of £100 for a premium model. Despite how good these are if it ever failed I'd probably go for Infinity type just because of how silent they are on lower speeds.

Edited by Poisonata
  • Like 1

@Poisonata cheers for the kind words! I'll attempt to make this thread and the subsequent grow as informative and entertaining as i can!

This cab build is slow going as im just waiting for a few last bits.

large.IMG_20210908_134045.jpg

Got my light baffles holes drilled after waiting for the 150mm hole cutter to arrive.

Just have to either tape or caulk around the edges of the holes.

large.IMG_20210908_134848.jpg

Word of advice: use your drill at half trigger speed when cutting holes like these. I just went balls to the wall with mine and smoke starting coming out of the drill after the first hole lol 

Had to give it a little break and go back at it gentler for the second hole - which was actually done in way less time because i didn't abuse the drill!

So next up is drill all the smaller pilot holes for the hooks for the lights and filter to hang. A hole for the power cable to come through. And drill the vent covers on the outside.

Then mylar and the dreaded light-proofing; which could make or break this little project..

Also side note: resizing photos to upload to this site is an absolute balls. is there a better way? do lifetime subscribers benefit from unrestricted upload sizes?

• Like 4

I just use compress puma or similar app, super easy takes about a minute or so. Or are you taking them on a stand alone camera? 

• Like 1

I mostly upload from phone to PC these days being android all it takes is a usb cable and drag and drop.

I was using Photo and Picture resizer on the play store.

You do get a 1.4mb file size limit being a subbie though :yep:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

I just use compress puma or similar app, super easy takes about a minute or so. Or are you taking them on a stand alone camera? 

I'll look in to that. I'm just using my phone for this bud but i'll start using my actual camera for the grow like my previous ones. 

• Like 1

right, new obstacle.

large.IMG_20210908_210428.jpg

Hung the fan and filter. But the filter fills more than half the depth of the cabinet. I knows the cab looks big in photos but its really not! 

With the filter and fan in place, the hanging point for my light would be far closer to the front doors, which isn't really ideal for optimal coverage in such a small space.

The other challenge is my lights hanging height. From the base of my filter to the floor of the cab its 84cm. My bastard of a light (is still in storage and don't have a correct measurement) is at least a foot long when hung. due to the driver being on top and the weird mounting method it uses. See the pic here from previous grow:

large.P1000140.jpg

large.misc-1001617.jpg

So since the mounting method is compromised by the position of my fan and filter, and its hanging height is too shallow for my cab (old tent had 140cm height)

I'm contemplating getting a new light...more fucking money.

I ask you, the audience of this thread, the good people of UK420: should I get a new light? or should I make this one somehow work?

• Like 1

You could have either the fan or filter on the outside of the box but I'm guessing you've already thought of that and stealth is a priority. So how about a smaller filter? I got a phresh 100x150mm CF for about 40 quid, fox hydro do one that small too, definitely less money than a new light. I have the s4 and both have just about high enough cfm ratings for it. 

As for the light, you could extend the cable between the driver and the heat sink and or modify the hanging system to get a lot more headroom by the looks of things.

Just now, yabbah said:

should I get a new light?

Don't think you have much choice with the way the drobe is set up atm bud...even with a new light it will be a struggle...what would you replace it with?

If you have any space around the drobe then fan and filter mounted on the outside blowing through the filter?

Not Ideal use of the filter but this way you'd have inside clearance right to the top for the light.