Phonic trap ducting pros and cons?

Gaijin

8 minutes ago, kronic420 said:

@Arthur Mixgreat for you but this guys growing in a unheated shed/cabin.

To be fair, I should have it insulated before the end of this year. I want it to look like an uninsulated run down shack. But a little nicer on the inside. I'll have a 1x1 heat mat and an oil filled radiator in each tent and fingers crossed until I get the room nice and snug 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gaijin said:

the AC filters. They have a 38mm charcoal bed. The CarboAir 60s have, surprisingly a 60mm bed. Does the shallower bed make for a filter that doesn't work as well, or a filter that works just as well, but for a shorter period of time? 

Well the quality of the carbon does make a difference but assuming they're both the same in that respect the carbo would last longer then the ac, the ac should still do as good of a job till then. Mind you I'm running a Phresh at the moment and its way thinner, and pleated like a sports air filter for a car, and apparently they last for ages and work brilliantly so there could be more to it than I really know. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

Just now, MindSoup said:

Well the quality of the carbon does make a difference but assuming they're both the dame in that respect the carbo would last longer then the ac, the ac should still do as good of a job till then. Mind you I'm running a phresh at the moment and its way thinner, and pleated like a sports air filter for a car, and apparently they last for ages and work brilliantly so there could be more to it than I really know. 

Hmmmm interesting. something to look into, for sure. Just about wearing my google out, all this lol 

3 hours ago, Gaijin said:

I really really want the lights he sells

What's so good about them in comparison to other lights then? There's a million options out there. I've seen some pretty amazing results from household LED bulbs and other DIY lights. 

• Like 1

Just now, Gaijin said:

Hmmmm interesting. something to look into, for sure. Just about wearing my google out, all this lol

Honestly you can round and round forever, just buy either one really, even my cheapo fox hydro one worked really well for a year or so.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MindSoup said:

What's so good about them in comparison to other lights then? There's a million options out there. I've seen some pretty amazing results from household LED bulbs and other DIY lights. 

It's got a superb spectrum, efficiency. If I'm reading in the right places, the Samsung LEDs are high quality. But yeah, that spectrum :wub:  There's a couple of other lights out there that I like. The Scopex 900 is on my radar too, but there's no details on the spectrum yet. And the design works better for me, in terms of manoeuvrability - it folds in half, which is a big bonus. But if I'm going to spend that much on a light, I need a graph for simple old me to stare at lol  

11 hours ago, MindSoup said:

Honestly you can round and round forever, just buy either one really, even my cheapo fox hydro one worked really well for a year or so.

Tell me about it :doh:  I need to just make a final list and then cut the cables to my internet until the money hits the bank and I can place all these orders lol I'm still changing things daily, and I've been completely engrossed in this for months and months  :rofl:  

I'm well aware that I could start out a hell of lot smaller. It would probably be the smarter thing to do. But this is probably the one time that I'll ever have the money to splash out like this. I'm not a good saver lol So I'm going all in 

• Like 2

Well as my grandpa used to say, better too much than not enough. Its not like you have to get the whole thing running right away, but when you inevitably get into the deep end you'll already have the capabilities to do so.

• Like 3

Just now, MindSoup said:

Well as my grandpa used to say, better too much than not enough. Its not like you have to get the whole thing running right away, but when you inevitably get into the deep end you'll already have the capabilities to do so.

That's the plan, mate. As soon I get this house purchase and move out of the way, I'll be able to get started. But it'll be a while until I can get the electrical work done, and the roof replaced and insulated. I'd like to think I'll have seeds in the mud well before Christmas. Fingers crossed :D 

Well, if you buy cheap you buy twice imho. I bought crappy ducting and spent a small fortune on the Phonic trap to replace it - lesson learned. Same with the Carbon Filter, bought a Rhino but replaced it with a Mountain Air, same with the RVK fan - replaced it with an AC Infinity. I could have lived with the kit but I also added a Veg tent so like a younger sibling it gets the hand-me-downs so its not getting binned!.

• Like 1

Just now, DeltaMelter said:

Well, if you buy cheap you buy twice imho. I bought crappy ducting and spent a small fortune on the Phonic trap to replace it - lesson learned. Same with the Carbon Filter, bought a Rhino but replaced it with a Mountain Air, same with the RVK fan - replaced it with an AC Infinity. I could have lived with the kit but I also added a Veg tent so like a younger sibling it gets the hand-me-downs so its not getting binned!.

Before I found this place, I was happily adding one of those "complete kits" to my basket lol Found this place just in time. The noise from the fan in that kit would've killed the project at the start; cheap tent, cheap everything. having said that, I'm going to be spending about three times the money. But I'm fairly sure the results will be worth it :D 

• Like 3

If I’ve got it correct hlg will have a new unit maybe which will be exceeding what they are already doing. Then what they use now will be available to other manufacturers to “catch up” as hlg will exclusively have the newest Samsung offerings. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Gaijin said:

But I'm fairly sure the results will be worth it :D 

Full marks for your research bud...:yep:

I've never known anyone go through the ins and outs of a rat's arse (excuse the expression) to get the right info before they start.

Word of caution though, there's lot's of different opinions, ideas and equipment floating around so don't get 'overload' and end up not knowing

your arse from your elbow (excuse the expression)  Set up the proper environment and keep things simple is the best way...:yep:

BTW...Phonic ducting for the win...and I've tried them all...

;)

• Like 3

@Arthur Mix If my house move takes any longer to get sorted, I'll probably get an opportunity to research those as well :rolleyes:

There's a chance, then, that just like the time I spent a huge amount on one of these newfangled HD TVs ... a couple of years later that tech was half the price and there was already better tech out there lol 

@stu914  Thanks mate :yep: Yes, I have been digging and digging. My missus feels that there may be something going on between me and the laptop lol  I guess I can thank Covid for holding up the probate preocess and then holding up the house sale. I've had months to obsess, I mean research things :D Fortunately I found this place, and my plans, while mind-blowingly expensive to my rarely opened wallet, are a hell of a lot simpler than originally. I knew nothing back then :clown:

Back when I had £100s in water testing equipment, blue truncheons, ph up and down, in my basket next to the compost that I'll be using. Back then lol 

I should add, I'm well aware that none of this research will mean much when seeds hit the dirt. I've never grown inside before. I think I'll have the right EQ to do it, by the time I buy it. But I still have to learn how to use it all :D 

Edited by Gaijin
eta last comment
  • Like 2