Phonic trap ducting pros and cons?

Gaijin

Morning all :) Happy Weekend :smokin: 

So I've been talking to a sales guy that's trying to sell me his fans (which I may end up purchasing) and his ductwork. I was 100% set on the Phonic Trap ducting but the sales guy said the following to me: "The Phonic Trap ducting slows the airflow to a degree that your fan will have to work harder to move the same volume. The hard working fan will make more noise, cancelling out the noise savings that you had from the ducting". Words to that effect. Then he mentioned his range of silencers lol 

Any truth to this claim that the Phonic Trap product has a net noise saving of approximately zero? I'll only need maybe a meter of ducting for each tent, so I'm not overly concerned about the cost of the ducting. 

What's better? Cheap basic ducting with a silencer? Or Phonic Trap ducting without? 

I'll be be running supposedly very quiet EC fans, just so you know. 

Looking forward to some words of wisdom below :D Thanks :yep: 

• Like 3

phonic trap is excellent ducting and the salesman is talking rubbish.  They just make up anything to try and sell you stuff you don't need. 

• Like 6

I used that duct that has 3 layers and seems quiet enough with the rhino 5in fan which is a noise fecker and wrapped in duvets when being used.  Its called Accoustic.. watch when cutting through as it's like a fibreglass material and it.itches when on your skin lol

Edited by Firstimegrower_420
  • Like 1

@Gaijin I'm using Phonic trap ducting and as @THCC said thats BS from a salesperson.

I upgraded my ducting part way through a grow to phonic trap and it was noticeably quieter - also it doesn't have the itchy fiberglass stuff in it which you should avoid, it gets everywhere and is horrible. I found the French stuff to be the best that's white fabric on the inside and black plastic on the outside. Much stronger than foil ducting too so way less likely to tear.

• Like 9

@THCC @DeltaMelter I figured as much lol I've seen some good things about the Phonic Trap stuff on here, but I couldn't remember seeing anything negative, really.

Considering the amount I could be potentially spending with this guy (he's almost got me sold on the lighting too) I can't see he why he'd be so desperate make a little extra on a couple of meters of ducting lol Salesman habit, I guess 

@Gaijin This is the stuff I have (not the connection kit, just the ducting) and as you can see its really sturdy. You connect and tape the inner layer to your fan/filter first then tape the outer layer over the top - you have to do this as the lower layer is permeable and without it the stank will escape.

• Like 5

All ducting make fans work harder it’s just how it works, iv not used phonic before the price has always put me off but I always use insulated ducting and it it definitely helps with noise if you go with the cheaper insulated duct way make sure you get the one that has a layer of plastic inside as this stops the insulation getting sucked of blown down the duct and makes it air tight .

What else has this “sales man” got you parting your cash on

• Like 4

This phonic ducting is ace man! I bought 2x 8" filters this year.. The first one was a rhino Pro,couldn't get a mountain air one, arse was still twitching coz i could still smell the "bouquet" from the outlet. So, finally sourced a mountain air filter and rigged it up. Arse was still twitching coz could still smell that "bouquet" :wallbash::furious:

Went up to look at the connections and ducting. Fkin ducting was ripped, "acoustic foil lined stuff".. Went and bought some phonic ducting, rigged it up and voilà, no pongs at all.. 400 quid lighter and only weetabix to eat for the next 3 weeks but was sorted :smokin:

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, DeltaMelter said:

@Gaijin This is the stuff I have (not the connection kit, just the ducting) and as you can see its really sturdy. You connect and tape the inner layer to your fan/filter first then tape the outer layer over the top - you have to do this as the lower layer is permeable and without it the stank will escape.

Thanks. Yeah that looks just like what I'm going to buy :yep:  I tried looking up grow rooms and so on, on YouTube a while back. It gave me some bull shit about signing in and verifying my age, and I haven't looked since lol 

That's all that matters to me - the noise and the stank. I have to aim for perfection on these two 

@Hashcity worse things around than Weetabix lol I can't have pongs or noise. Just can't 

@kronic420 to be fair, I've gone to him knowing what lights I want, and to a certain extent, the same with the fans. Still not 100% sold on the AC Infinity fans. I've seen good things on here, but also heard some not so good things just recently. Ideally I'd probably spend more on the fans, if I had a bigger budget. But I've going over and above what I originally budgeted for lights, so I might just have to accept not quite the fans that I'd like.

@Gaijin I have an AC Infinity T6 Cloudline with a controller 67 and it beats the socks off my RVK with a speed controller. I have it running in the veg tent now keeping it at dead on 65% RH well worth it imho. I will probably buy another one for my Flower Tent too so I can control each one independantly. DIY LED has a good deal on them at the minute iirc.

• Like 2

Just now, DeltaMelter said:

@Gaijin I have an AC Infinity T6 Cloudline with a controller 67 and it beats the socks off my RVK with a speed controller. I have it running in the veg tent now keeping it at dead on 65% RH well worth it imho. I will probably buy another one for my Flower Tent too so I can control each one independently. DIY LED has a good deal on them at the minute iirc.

Yeah I'm thinking of getting a couple of S8 Cloudlines. I'd been looking at the Systemair K 200 EC sileo fans. Nice looking bit of kit. But I already have a couple of the AC Infinity controller 67s, so I figure I'll give the fans a go

Fuck salesmen, most of them are completely clueless. If someone tried pulling that BS on me I wouldn't give them a penny of my money.

FYI I'm running an s4 with the crappy white single layer ducting, with a tight 180 just after the fan, and a fair few bends in it. The noise is hardly noticeable unless its really hot/ humid and its at full pelt, even then I can't hear it in the next room. 

• Like 4